Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Rumour: CX to restrict certain lounge access to Marco Polo members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: CX to restrict certain lounge access to Marco Polo members

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Does those lounges count the number of pax when they exit? Or otherwise how could they know exactly how many guests in the lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
US airlines are also quite strict on lounge access for anyone flying domestic F.

They can do what BA did, calling their lounges something else instead of just F and J lounges. Then they can restrict passengers without violating OW rules.
Indeed.
For example, both BA and QR offer at their home base a F lounge for pax with OWE status. It is just inferior to their "premium" lounge for F pax. And in the case of QR even inferior to the lounge reserved for J pax. In other words, there are no F pax in the F lounge at LHR or DOH, only OWE not flying in F.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed.
For example, both BA and QR offer at their home base a F lounge for pax with OWE status. It is just inferior to their "premium" lounge for F pax. And in the case of QR even inferior to the lounge reserved for J pax. In other words, there are no F pax in the F lounge at LHR or DOH, only OWE not flying in F.
BA is actually stricter than that with CCR access, you must have a BA operated F boarding pass so someone connecting to a BA T5 flight without F that has flown in on another oneworld carrier’s F product has to use Galleries First rather than the CCR.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
BA is actually stricter than that with CCR access, you must have a BA operated F boarding pass so someone connecting to a BA T5 flight without F that has flown in on another oneworld carrier’s F product has to use Galleries First rather than the CCR.
i think its discussed above. Cx’s F is canabalized by graspers and graabers; yet DM (their home turf owe) has a higher value than those FFlyers. Given that they cannot discriminate their DMs to other OWE, a seperate lounge will not get very far... unless the f flyers go to an inferior lounge (and yes, LX does that at ZRH. The intercon senators (*G) lounge is by far better than business lounge.)

you could call it the F lounge and the diamond lounge (and with an F bp you can only go to the inferior F lounge but say a full fare pax and owes can go to the diamond lounge) hows that?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by kaka

i think its discussed above. Cx’s F is canabalized by graspers and graabers; yet DM (their home turf owe) has a higher value than those FFlyers. Given that they cannot discriminate their DMs to other OWE, a seperate lounge will not get very far... unless the f flyers go to an inferior lounge (and yes, LX does that at ZRH. The intercon senators (*G) lounge is by far better than business lounge.)

you could call it the F lounge and the diamond lounge (and with an F bp you can only go to the inferior F lounge but say a full fare pax and owes can go to the diamond lounge) hows that?
Your description of LX lounges at ZRH is a bit confusing. And I am quite familiar with the setup.
They have a First lounge, a Senator lounge (for *G) and a Business lounge (for J class and *G).
The Senator is indeed a bit better (not much) than the Business. Fairly easy to move from one to the other once you have entered on the proper side.

But the F lounge is reserved to F pax and HON and it is far superior to the Senator lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Your description of LX lounges at ZRH is a bit confusing. And I am quite familiar with the setup.
They have a First lounge, a Senator lounge (for *G) and a Business lounge (for J class and *G).
The Senator is indeed a bit better (not much) than the Business. Fairly easy to move from one to the other once you have entered on the proper side.

But the F lounge is reserved to F pax and HON and it is far superior to the Senator lounge.
doesnt stop the fact that *g has a better lounge than biz flyers without status.

so by differentiating, cx can make a better lounge for dm and owe and fare cash F pax, leaving the award F pax using the “F lounge” happy?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You flew HKG-LAX three times this week? And you posted this on Thursday? Have any extra miles you're looking to dump off to a worthy FTer??
Ha Ha, you won't believe how fast the miles can go I actually did 4 RT HKG-LAX last week. Probably around 80k miles, but then you kinda burn that off in one RT F upgrade

On Friday night last, QF F lounge at LAX was doing very strict capacity control. I've heard three JL OWE on CX881 being turned down for entry at around 8pm. The lounge manager told them, at this moment they only welcome QF and BA members, and asked them to come back after 9:40pm. I was there around 9:55pm, so no issue. However, seat for dining was none available, and the waiter told me passenger for 881 to come back after 10:30pm. The only problem was, boarding time was 11:10pm...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by APeverell
Ha Ha, you won't believe how fast the miles can go I actually did 4 RT HKG-LAX last week. Probably around 80k miles, but then you kinda burn that off in one RT F upgrade

On Friday night last, QF F lounge at LAX was doing very strict capacity control. I've heard three JL OWE on CX881 being turned down for entry at around 8pm. The lounge manager told them, at this moment they only welcome QF and BA members, and asked them to come back after 9:40pm. I was there around 9:55pm, so no issue. However, seat for dining was none available, and the waiter told me passenger for 881 to come back after 10:30pm. The only problem was, boarding time was 11:10pm...
That’s pretty bad considering the QF lounge is the designated lounge for CX. Did they get directed to the J lounge?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I actually did 4 RT HKG-LAX last week. Probably around 80k miles, but then you kinda burn that off in one RT F upgrade
Wait, WHAT?!?! Please elaborate?! You aren't serious???

Completely different question than my one above.

But it always amazes me how brazen some of the other OW lounge operators are with flaunting the spirit of the rules for lounges people are blatantly entitled to (BA in particular, but also QF), yet I seem to be in the minority to think it's possible for CX to be a little rogue and have a DM/F lounge in HKG?

Fwiw, I had dinner with a former CX senior management yesterday. He's an old friend. Specifically thinking of this thread, I asked if it was possible to have an "Invitation Only" lounge hosted by CX at Hong Kong, in addition to all its other lounges. And CX could invite whomever it wanted. He thought this would be no problem in the context of OW rules.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kaka

I think more than the lounge I'd rather CX give DMs better or advance access to redemptions rather than just opening slots for all alliance and non-alliance partners at the same time.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Fwiw, I had dinner with a former CX senior management yesterday. He's an old friend. Specifically thinking of this thread, I asked if it was possible to have an "Invitation Only" lounge hosted by CX at Hong Kong, in addition to all its other lounges. And CX could invite whomever it wanted. He thought this would be no problem in the context of OW rules.
Welcome to 'The Diamond' CX's new Invitation-Only Lounge (how to get an invite? fly CX F in a non-award fare be a or DM/DM+)

That's a really creative way to skirt the OW rules, but it may have the unintended consequence of other OW airlines copying the method and we all end up with crappy outstation lounges since we can't access the 'Invitation-Only' ones.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

But it always amazes me how brazen some of the other OW lounge operators are with flaunting the spirit of the rules for lounges people are blatantly entitled to (BA in particular, but also QF), yet I seem to be in the minority to think it's possible for CX to be a little rogue and have a DM/F lounge in HKG?
In this case, it seems it genuinely was capacity issues as was seen by APEverell.

However I'm curious because we are not talking about people flying AA from T4. CX has this lounge as its designated Diamond/Emerald/First class lounge in LAX. It sounds like even these people couldn't enter. So where do they go?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Welcome to 'The Diamond' CX's new Invitation-Only Lounge (how to get an invite? fly CX F in a non-award fare be a or DM/DM+)

That's a really creative way to skirt the OW rules, but it may have the unintended consequence of other OW airlines copying the method and we all end up with crappy outstation lounges since we can't access the 'Invitation-Only' ones.
He also said...the problem is known. There are just a.) too many DMs, but b.) DMs are too lucrative of a cohort to discriminate against (by having an F / DM+ only lounge).

I personally like FlyPointyEnd's recommendation two above this one. CX could really further enhance MPC by just significantly favoring their elites with redemptions. Fwiw, I was looking at British Airways last week, and it appeared that they had zeroed out all J inventory for flights 4-5 days in advance, but CX Asia Miles was showing wide open even the same day. I'm hardly the expert at this thing, is that normal?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Fwiw, I was looking at British Airways last week, and it appeared that they had zeroed out all J inventory for flights 4-5 days in advance, but CX Asia Miles was showing wide open even the same day. I'm hardly the expert at this thing, is that normal?
Normal, but unrelated to keeping availability for their elites:
CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:43 pm

He also said...the problem is known. There are just a.) too many DMs, but b.) DMs are too lucrative of a cohort to discriminate against (by having an F / DM+ only lounge).

I personally like FlyPointyEnd's recommendation two above this one. CX could really further enhance MPC by just significantly favoring their elites with redemptions. Fwiw, I was looking at British Airways last week, and it appeared that they had zeroed out all J inventory for flights 4-5 days in advance, but CX Asia Miles was showing wide open even the same day. I'm hardly the expert at this thing, is that normal?
No, BA just refuse to release any worthwhile availability on any in demand routes. They don't zero out from a set point in time. edit: or do you mean they zero CX inventory, in which case yes as there has been a lot of fraud in the mainland.

DMs have to face the fact that they're not as special as they think they are. There are many thousands, far too many for CX to create special perks outside of Oneworld. If they take anything outside the alliance it would have to be F only and DM+, or create another level above DM.

Last edited by 1010101; Jan 23, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.