Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

One Hour Hong Kong to Air Canada Transfer. Is this doable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

We arrive on Cathay dragon on January 29th at 3:30 p.m. and the Air Canada flight leaves at 4:30 p.m. is it possible to get through security and make our transfer? Or should we try to rebook something?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Even 40 mins Ata to etd is sufficient provided you land at the main terminal. Where are you coming in from?

and yeh, of coz you need to have actually landed and not delayed!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jesse Hill
We arrive on Cathay dragon on January 29th at 3:30 p.m. and the Air Canada flight leaves at 4:30 p.m. is it possible to get through security and make our transfer? Or should we try to rebook something?
If your KA flight lands on time, perhaps.
Also there is distance to the gate. Based on all of my flights (YYZ and YVR), AC flights sometimes get somewhere in the 60s, but I've also departed from 34, so along with transfer security, you might have to factor that into it.

I realize the expert CX fliers on this forum may see HKIA differently, but I've had numerous delays inbound to HKIA on some regional CX flights. Some of my travel colleagues tend to prefer having more time to connect at most of our Asian/SE Asian destinations. They say little bit of chill time works best for them, so YMMV. Good luck.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:35 pm

If your inbound is on time you should not have a problem - even if you need to go from one end of the airport to the other. 1 hour is plenty.
You don't mention from where your first flight is departing.Check flightradar24 or similar websites for the typical delay of your inbound and you can guess what the propability is making your connection.
If you are on one ticket you will be rebooked to some later flight. If you are on two different tickets you might be out of luck and pay for rebooking or even need to buy a new ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kaka
Even 40 mins Ata to etd is sufficient provided you land at the main terminal. Where are you coming in from?

and yeh, of coz you need to have actually landed and not delayed!
40 min is not sufficient - check-in agents will not check through connections below MCT.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Jesse Hill
While I am uncertain where your KA flight is from, I shall strongly advise against that. If you are flying in from Mainland China where delays and cancellations are common, I shall have at least a 3-hour buffer.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
40 min is not sufficient - check-in agents will not check through connections below MCT.
@kaka said ATA, actual time of arrival. MCT is 60 min (CX/KA to AC), but if a small delay makes the actual time of transit 40 min., I agree that it remains doable, although one really need to know HKG well and rush if remote gate is involved.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:33 pm

CX/KA have a thru check agreement with Air Canada. The Cathay Dragon agent should be able to check your bag and give you a boarding pass for your AC flight. If it's the same ticket and there's an issue with the transfer, Cathay Dragon will rebook you with no issue.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
OP, please advise where you're arriving from.

PVG, SHA or PEK, I absolutely do not advise this connection. And if you're coming from elsewhere in mainland China, I'd still put this in the "it's a bad idea" category. Especially if you're not totally familiar with HKG. Your margin of error is slim to none here and if you're arriving from China delays are more often than on time arrivals.

Elsewhere in the KA network, not as bad an idea.

You are "helped" by the fact CX has a few frequencies to YVR a day (less to YYZ), so they could possibly protect you quickly. But if those flights are full you won't be. Counting on CX to rapidly reaccomodate you and being willing to miss the connection is not a good plan.

It would be a lot more helpful if you could provide more details. Arrival city / flight number, class, departing flight, and if the ticket is purchased together or separate and where you bought it.

Edited later: I'm guessing you're on air Canada to YYZ, since that departs at 4:30pm? If so you're going to be in a worse situation than YVR since CX has more frequencies to YVR vs YYZ. I'd say this makes me even more against your one hour connection. More details would help us.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm Reason: Figured out your outbound flight
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I am going to bet OP is coming from Phnom Penh. I checked the schedule and there is only 1 KA arrival around that time, and it’s exactly at 3:30. I didn’t look after 3:30 due to MCT. Earlier than that is MNL around 3:05-ish.

I think if its Phnom Penh, the connection should be OK unless there were earlier delays in the aircraft...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Is OP booked on a single ticket (I'm assuming with with AC since CX flys to both YVR and YYZ?) or on separate tickets? CX and KA should have interline with AC since they are non-alliance partners but I believe interline MCT is 60 minutes so any delay will cause you to miss it. If OP is booked on a single ticket through AC, the only option is the single 4:30 flight to YYZ but AC should protect your connection and should set you up for the night (or get you on the 6:15 PM CX flight but that's doubtful).

There are several KA flights/code-shares that are scheduled to arrive around 3:30 PM - one from CEB at 3:20, TPE at 3:25, and PVG at 3:30. If OP is on the last one then you should try to get that flight moved earlier.
@AAExpDFW
MNL is serviced by CX not KA and are not code-shared with KA, and if OP is coming from MNL this would be a really bad connection to try to make since chance of short delays from MNL (5-15 min) is generally high due to air traffic.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
CX and KA should have interline with AC since they are non-alliance partners but I believe interline MCT is 60 minutes so any delay will cause you to miss it.
I think this misunderstand what a MCT is. It's the minimum time between flights a carrier will allow you to book ahead of time, with the carrier then accepting the risk of having to rebook you if you miss it. On the day, they may decide they can rush you through transit to the next gate in less than that time to make the flight without rebooking.

That said I wouldn't book this if a convenient option is available with a bit longer. I don't fly through HKG as much anymore but when I do my impression is that ATC delays are getting worse. It's fine to say the carrier will foot the bill for rebooking a misconnect but if what you really want is to arrive when you expect to arrive with less stress along the way....
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Ive done 1 hour or less (actual time) on many occasions and never had a problem. With through check in and a boarding pass in hand, it's possible to go from plane to departure gate in about 20 minutes even with gates far apart or a short queue on security. HK is a very efficient airport.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Ive done 1 hour or less (actual time) on many occasions and never had a problem. With through check in and a boarding pass in hand, it's possible to go from plane to departure gate in about 20 minutes even with gates far apart or a short queue on security. HK is a very efficient airport.
I 100pct agree with your post.

However, I still almost certainly don't advise the OP to do this. It's made worse that Air Canada has a single flight to YYZ a day. And we are unclear on the ticket type, KA inbound flight, bought together or not, etc. And if the OP is inbound from a place like Shanghai, I'd say this is a laughably bad idea, regardless of how the ticket was bought.

Now if the OPs onward flight was on BR to TPE, I'd say sure go ahead!

The rest of the details are important!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
I am going to bet OP is coming from Phnom Penh. I checked the schedule and there is only 1 KA arrival around that time, and it’s exactly at 3:30. I didn’t look after 3:30 due to MCT. Earlier than that is MNL around 3:05-ish.

I think if its Phnom Penh, the connection should be OK unless there were earlier delays in the aircraft...
Unless OP has cocked up and meant the CX750 from BKK, which has an AC codeshare AC9768 (KA207 has no AC codeshare)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.