Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: The Cabin to close permanently

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium

A bit of news I have heard re: lounges... (subject to change of course)

1) G16 lounge will be renamed to The Deck and should be reopening in March/April this year. It will be a business class lounge. At the same time The Cabin will be closed for renovation, it will have shower suites after the renovation so all CX lounges in HKIA with have shower facilities.

Last edited by sxc; Jan 14, 2018 at 12:00 am
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Interesting that The Cabin is closing so soon after its opening. I assume it will be Ilse Crawfordised.

Is is this a sign they will re-do The Wing as well? As much as this would be “nice” the money would be better spent on other things such as onboard catering.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:04 am

The Cabin had some really bad ventilation/circulation issues for a period of time - I distinctly remember sweating while waiting for a SIN flight departing from an adjacent gate. I assume this was fixed but perhaps an HVAC reconfiguration will be part of the renovations.

I used to be a big fan of The Cabin but a combination of overcrowding and better options (esp the QF lounge if leaving from the lowered numbered gates) put me off it.
kaka and QRC3288 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
The Cabin had some really bad ventilation/circulation issues for a period of time - I distinctly remember sweating while waiting for a SIN flight departing from an adjacent gate. I assume this was fixed but perhaps an HVAC reconfiguration will be part of the renovations.

I used to be a big fan of The Cabin but a combination of overcrowding and better options (esp the QF lounge if leaving from the lowered numbered gates) put me off it.
so what happened to the rumor that said the cabin would open July 2017 I January 2018? And another rumor...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Cabin is a little too small, I would assume most frequent traveller will avoid it however due to it's location, it could be the easiest to find lounge at HKG for CX/KA/OW, and hence it is always packed, and smell like sweat. And a lot of of the not so frequent flyer doesn't know they could do lounge hopping (since lounge lady already took their lounge invitation)... so they had to stay.... poor them.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Cabin is a little too small, I would assume most frequent traveller will avoid it however due to it's location, it could be the easiest to find lounge at HKG for CX/KA/OW, and hence it is always packed, and smell like sweat. And a lot of of the not so frequent flyer doesn't know they could do lounge hopping (since lounge lady already took their lounge invitation)... so they had to stay.... poor them.
Yea, the fellow a few above sums up my thoughts. I loved it when it first came out. But eventually it just got completely smash packed full of people. And, CX rebuilt both Pier lounges, and added The Bridge. Plus Qantas opened. All superior options. Glad Cabin is getting upgraded.

For one, I hope they remove a bunch of those silly Solus chairs. They waste so much space and are pretty uncomfortable to sit in.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Yea, the fellow a few above sums up my thoughts. I loved it when it first came out. But eventually it just got completely smash packed full of people. And, CX rebuilt both Pier lounges, and added The Bridge. Plus Qantas opened. All superior options. Glad Cabin is getting upgraded.

For one, I hope they remove a bunch of those silly Solus chairs. They waste so much space and are pretty uncomfortable to sit in.
But once you are in them it feels like you’re alone. Isn’t that what diamonds want?
kaka and fairhsa like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Well, sounds like a good removal but when can cx open up the deck?!?!? It took forever!!!
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: MPCGO
I think it's about time they redid the Cabin as it really is the worst of the CX lounges in HKG. I'm not sure how they can improve the layout considering space (and budget) constraints of the current lounge. I'm looking forward to G16 (Deck).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

The Cabin will close for good:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...e-cabin-lounge
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I wonder who or what will take the space once it does close?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
For Plaza Premium’s sake, they should take it over. Their lounges are VERY crowded.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Thanks to cost cutting....
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by sxc

For Plaza Premium’s sake, they should take it over. Their lounges are VERY crowded.
I've never been to the Plaza Premium lounges in HKG, personally and selfishly I wish SQ would move their lounge to this space just so that there are external windows, that lounge feels like being inside a fancy shoe box.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: CX
Or maybe they are "permanently" closing The Cabin down. And opening a new F/DM exclusive lounge under another name?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.