Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: The Cabin to close permanently

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: The Cabin to close permanently

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
My guesses on Cabin:
SQ to move to Cabin space
SQ space gets returned to AAHK for re-lease to Zero Duty or some other useless retail
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by percysmith
My guesses on Cabin:
SQ to move to Cabin space
SQ space gets returned to AAHK for re-lease to Zero Duty or some other useless retail
SQ did just renovate this lounge though but I'm with you on this... though if it's gonna be the 'nice' *A lounge for HKG it might end up having an overcrowding issue with LH, AA, and TG visitors.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by sxc
Just be glad you're not using the BA flagship lounges in LHR. That's what tired looks like.

I think we're getting a bit spoilt in HKG - The Wing J is only 6 years old.
I actually prefer the LHR T5 first class lounge to the Wing.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:50 am

I'm just thinking SQ's location is a good retail location
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:23 am

I'm just thinking SQ's location is a good retail location
I think plaza premium will want to get that place of current SQ location or the cabin. It is always crowded for those credit card holders/priority pass holders.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Don't forget the upcoming bridge connecting NSC will be... By looking at the map the existing CNAC lounge and the transit checkpoint may be affected... The Cabin space may be used by HKAA to relocate them to free up space for building the bridge... (yes I know the lounges and checkpoints are on the odd number gates side... But the offices on the even number gates side also need to relocate right?)
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Aus106080
I think plaza premium will want to get that place of current SQ location or the cabin. It is always crowded for those credit card holders/priority pass holders.
Pp: not the cabin. Cos they only get paid when people walk in the door, and cabin isn't the most obvious place

from a revenue perspective sq is a good fit . It's actually more space than what pp needs, they can make people queue for noodle for >1 hour so long as it's "free". But its frontage is a great complement to existing east lounge.

sq can make its pax walk further with the lounge invites, hence cabin
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Goodbye Cabin. You won't be missed.

Q can have this space - turn those sunward facing chairs into sunbeds. Its like Sentosa in there in the summer.
kaka, gpia and synthkeys like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:00 pm

Options for The Cabin are:
1. HKIA takes it back for its own use (convert to offices? Keep as staff lounge/ dining room? Turn into sauna?)
2. HKIA hands it over to another airline or lounge operator
3. CX turns it into dedicated lounge for Cargo Clan members named The Cargo Hold (in keeping with aircraft-themed lounge names) [only kidding about this one]
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Options for The Cabin are:
1. HKIA takes it back for its own use (convert to offices? Keep as staff lounge/ dining room? Turn into sauna?)
2. HKIA hands it over to another airline or lounge operator
3. CX turns it into dedicated lounge for Cargo Clan members named The Cargo Hold (in keeping with aircraft-themed lounge names) [only kidding about this one]
4. HKIA starts a shopping mall-link club akin to Heathrow Rewards and use the space for its clubhouse/concierge?

I still think moving Silverkris is still so much win-win tho
kaka and djsflynn like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:21 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Except for SQ who needs to pay for the costs!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sscywong
Don't forget the upcoming bridge connecting NSC will be... By looking at the map the existing CNAC lounge and the transit checkpoint may be affected... The Cabin space may be used by HKAA to relocate them to free up space for building the bridge... (yes I know the lounges and checkpoints are on the odd number gates side... But the offices on the even number gates side also need to relocate right?)
Good point. I bet a relocation has to happen due to the bridge being built.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
4. HKIA starts a shopping mall-link club akin to Heathrow Rewards and use the space for its clubhouse/concierge?

build a brick wall first to cover the glass
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
I feel like there could be lots of unoccupied space at HKIA for lounges. Lounges such as The Cabin, The Bridge appeared, it seemed, from nothing - or am I wrong, were there other lounges there before? Were the old Pier F and J lounge as big as the current two lounges? I only visited the Pier J before renovation, I don't recall it being as huge as it is now. What is under the 40's gates? Pallets of Jack Daniel's and Mild Seven?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:51 am

I will miss it. It was one of my favourite places to wait for early morning departures as the sun comes up, especially down the far end where not so many people go.

I haven't been the The Wing in a long, long time, the QF lounge doesn't open in the mornings and the Pier / Bridge are a bit too far unless you're departing that end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.