Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
I also feel the standard improving. Had beef cheek at the wing f, it was amazing and delicious. Once we moved out to the lounge a very friendly gentleman came up to my kids and offered ice cream to them. Quite a few delightful events.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Just 2 days ago The Pierre J. I did some grazing for a lot of items in small qty and I have to say, only one item disappointed. Non even so much of "bad" quality, though probably more, I don't like partial raw eggs. Despite it being quite busy (The Wing J was closed until 10:00am), not a zoo, nor a negative impact on the food itself.

Despite all the negatives at FT, I did not get the impression, a rundown or el-cheapo path is intended with the change of operator. On the contrary, well done CX. Compared to the completely new MH Golden Lounge (Satelite) at KUL, CX HKG is heaven. The CX lounge at BKK though might need some encouragement to return (somewhat) on-par with the CX lounges at HKG, it's somewhat slipping at BKK.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by e0g7y21a
Was at the Pier F today and they have the new menu as of today. Generally the food quality are markedly improved from the older menu - there will still be haters, but I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 Chinese dishes: The soy chicken (ask for the boneless version), and the XO sauce sautéed pork (ask for double portion). I asked for no rice.
Tried both of these earlier today, can second this. Good stuff. I feel the new menu is a bit more Chinese influenced than the previous, any thoughts? And no, that's not a bad thing!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Had the soy chicken last night and it was delicious. Staff were so attentive. A week ago, had the beef cheek and it was very tasty. The mash that accompanied it was a little too puréed for my liking.
Also loved the Thienot 2008 vintage Champagne, you do have to specify you want it as the default seems to be the Perrier Jouet which I find too sweet.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Agreed, one of the delightful things is the appearance of vintage champagne since the Sodexo switch.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Hopefully Sodexo has upped their game and these improvements are sustained.

Anyone seen the Mac and cheese recently in J lounges?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I must say, it's pleasant to see these positive reviews coming in. Here's hoping to change!

I was in The Bridge this morning, didn't have much time (otherwise I would've gone to Qantas...) and I was a 40+ gate. They are clearly using powdered eggs which is just foul.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:25 pm

Just did HKG - BKK in J this weekend. On the departure went to the Qantas lounge for food (which, as previously posted, was far superior to any of the food in the CX J lounges). Solid dinner there. No champagne and the sparkling wine was a bit weak, though. Little Creatures on draft which was a nice touch (not a great beer, overall, but much better than Tsingtao or Heineken in cans).

Then went to the Pier business. Champagne changed to GH Mumm (I'm a bit indifferent vs Moet, but would be interested in what others have to say). Food pretty terrible--after doing the Qantas lounge for the first time it was quite noticeable how poor the western offerings are at the Pier. E.g. Qantas had a great, fresh vegetable dish with broccoli, bok choi, green beans, and edamame, with a great dressing. A healthy option I'd actually order from a restaurant. Vs. CX, which had stale pizza under heat lamps. You get the idea....still like the dan dan noodles, though.

But still love the design of The Pier. For a night flight it is very relaxing and peaceful, and do love the fruit & veggies juice/smoothies they offer in the tea area.

And as someone else posted, I also noticed a drop in the quality of the BKK lounge. Was solid when it opened, but getting weaker. Bar was pretty poor--two sparkling wines offered (Chandon brut & rose), but not great quality and no champagne. Noodle bar had wide selection (massaman chicken curry, pad thai, corn soup, wonton soup), which was nice, but quality wasn't particularly high.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:56 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nmuva98
Just did HKG - BKK in J this weekend. On the departure went to the Qantas lounge for food (which, as previously posted, was far superior to any of the food in the CX J lounges). Solid dinner there. No champagne and the sparkling wine was a bit weak, though. Little Creatures on draft which was a nice touch (not a great beer, overall, but much better than Tsingtao or Heineken in cans).

Then went to the Pier business. Champagne changed to GH Mumm (I'm a bit indifferent vs Moet, but would be interested in what others have to say).
Personal taste?
Qantas was serving the Seppelt right?
I prefer that to an entry-level Moet or Mumm. I associate that stuff with "high energy celebration" migraine-inducers like Johnnie Walker Gold Reserve https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...228649291.html

But still love the design of The Pier. For a night flight it is very relaxing and peaceful,.
What's wrong with Qantas design? The open design/hearing all the boarding calls from Gates 15-19?
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:04 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat

Then went to the Pier business. Champagne changed to GH Mumm (I'm a bit indifferent vs Moet, but would be interested in what others have to say). Food pretty terrible--after doing the Qantas lounge for the first time it was quite noticeable how poor the western offerings are at the Pier. E.g. Qantas had a great, fresh vegetable dish with broccoli, bok choi, green beans, and edamame, with a great dressing. A healthy option I'd actually order from a restaurant. Vs. CX, which had stale pizza under heat lamps. You get the idea....still like the dan dan noodles, though.

But still love the design of The Pier. For a night flight it is very relaxing and peaceful, and do love the fruit & veggies juice/smoothies they offer in the tea area.

And as someone else posted, I also noticed a drop in the quality of the BKK lounge. Was solid when it opened, but getting weaker. Bar was pretty poor--two sparkling wines offered (Chandon brut & rose), but not great quality and no champagne. Noodle bar had wide selection (massaman chicken curry, pad thai, corn soup, wonton soup), which was nice, but quality wasn't particularly high.
Moet champagne was available at the BKK lounge just s a few weeks ago...I requested it & was served without issue. The food I ate was very good also.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'm actually quite sad to see the Moet go, I don't quite like the GH Mumm as much.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by percysmith
What's wrong with Qantas design? The open design/hearing all the boarding calls from Gates 15-19?
Not OP for but me personally, the Pier F/J feel more home-y/comfortable, like a living room. Qantas feels a bit "cold", not in the temperature sense obviously, but more industrial/retail (not sure if i'm describing it properly). I like both, but walking into the Pier I just feel more relaxed. Actually was at the Qantas lounge recently, and due to the open air design, sharing the space with the terminal hall, it was pretty warm everywhere.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:11 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nightkhan
Not OP for but me personally, the Pier F/J feel more home-y/comfortable, like a living room. Qantas feels a bit "cold", not in the temperature sense obviously, but more industrial/retail (not sure if i'm describing it properly). I like both, but walking into the Pier I just feel more relaxed. Actually was at the Qantas lounge recently, and due to the open air design, sharing the space with the terminal hall, it was pretty warm everywhere.
I guess QF puts more emphasis on more cool and dark colours with lots of steel and marble features rather than CX's new concept which is more cozy by comparison.

I felt that CX's old lounge design feels cold though sleek.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I was in The Pier (First) for the first time in about six weeks yesterday and I found the experience at least on par and in many cases better than under previous management. Food & beverage, along with service, in the restaurant was outstanding. They have just introduced a new menu this week, so I didn't sample some of the other offerings posters mentioned previously, but I did have the hamburger, which is now a Wagyu beef cheese burger. The burger and the fries were great. Service was extremely pro-active and efficient.

The Sodexo manager is very present in the lounge and is happy to receive feedback.

FWIW, I stopped in the Qantas lounge briefly. While I personally enjoy the style of The Pier, the food at Qantas is really quite good. It's very fresh and includes lots of vegetables. I don't think it is any better or worse than The Pier, but rather it more reflects Australian tastes whereas The Pier reflects Hong Kong tastes/styles.
sxc, QRC3288, jerrywu and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Personal taste?
Qantas was serving the Seppelt right?
I prefer that to an entry-level Moet or Mumm. I associate that stuff with "high energy celebration" migraine-inducers like Johnnie Walker Gold Reserve https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...228649291.html

Nothing wrong at all with the Qantas design. For a day flight I'd much prefer it--more open and airy. But for a night flight I like the Pier better--darker, more ambience, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.