Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Quick question here, apologies if this is the wrong thread. Do they serve the signature burger in Wing F? Haven't had it for quite a long time, as I always found something more appealing on the menu (or spying on other guests' selections). But with these recent changes, and having tried a number of the mains, I would be happy to go with the burger...
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
No burger in the Wing. Only at the Pier.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by SuloL
Quick question here, apologies if this is the wrong thread. Do they serve the signature burger in Wing F? Haven't had it for quite a long time, as I always found something more appealing on the menu (or spying on other guests' selections). But with these recent changes, and having tried a number of the mains, I would be happy to go with the burger...
Be careful what you wish for..... the burger before was tasty, now it is slimy, no taste (altho bigger I presume b/c they use premade and ?frozen lw grade patties) and I'm pretty sure it made me sick. IMO really disgusting.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Was at the Pier F yesterday.

Took a quick shower (under 5 mins) the shower got flooded, when I opened the door, the water spilled onto the floor. There are some staff at the Dining Room who can't understand or take meal orders in English. She raised her hand, said "Sorry" and went to get someone else to get my lunch order....and lastly they ran out of Dan Dan Mien at noon!

By the way, the Aqua Panna is now at 500ml, I recall it to be bigger.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by estnet
Be careful what you wish for..... the burger before was tasty, now it is slimy, no taste (altho bigger I presume b/c they use premade and ?frozen lw grade patties) and I'm pretty sure it made me sick. IMO really disgusting.
Ended up making a quick trek to the Pier and having the burger, but won't do that again. Burger was exactly as you described, a very sad experience overall. You can get a far superior one from the McDonalds in Admiralty... Hope these are indeed just changeover difficulties for Sodexo, and that their "final" product is of improved quality.

Also did the Salad Nicoise (with Tuna) for the second time. First time was just excellent, well spiced and everything. This time the tuna didn't seem to be very fresh and overall the dish was a bit lacking.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I agree with the sentiment (mentioned upthread a few times) that any commercial caterer which might be considered for these lounges can deliver a good quality product. It's less an issue of which company has the contract, and more an issue of the budget allotted by CX management.
Maybe, but I don’t have high hopes based on my experience with Sodexo. Sodexo is a massive for profit company that doesn’t have the same consideration for their brand as the previous caterers (particularly Peninsula). They get their stuff in bulk through their own corporate contracts from vendors that mass produce stuff. They served chipotle chicken breasts one day at the work cafeteria a while back and I saw their pseudo “executive chef” grab a massive plastic bag of 50+ pre-cooked chipotle chicken breasts (same grade as Tyson’s chicken) from the fridge and proceeded to the kitchen to re-heat in the oven before serving. I bet we pay more for the entree (typically $8-10) than what CX pays them and that is still the level of quality of the food they served us so I do not have much confidence in Sodexo producing the quality one can expect from a local or specialized caterer regardless of budget.

If CX management gave them a larger budget Sodexo’s goal will to be to drive up profit margins as much as possible rather than allocating 100% of the budget increase into the product.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by golfingboy
If CX management gave them a larger budget Sodexo’s goal will to be to drive up profit margins as much as possible rather than allocating 100% of the budget increase into the product.
I was really worried about this...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Maybe, but I don’t have high hopes based on my experience with Sodexo. Sodexo is a massive for profit company that doesn’t have the same consideration for their brand as the previous caterers (particularly Peninsula). They get their stuff in bulk through their own corporate contracts from vendors that mass produce stuff. They served chipotle chicken breasts one day at the work cafeteria a while back and I saw their pseudo “executive chef” grab a massive plastic bag of 50+ pre-cooked chipotle chicken breasts (same grade as Tyson’s chicken) from the fridge and proceeded to the kitchen to re-heat in the oven before serving. I bet we pay more for the entree (typically $8-10) than what CX pays them and that is still the level of quality of the food they served us so I do not have much confidence in Sodexo producing the quality one can expect from a local or specialized caterer regardless of budget.
This is exactly my point. If your employer gave them a larger budget, things would likely be different.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Looks better but tastes terrible. The noodle was hard. So either they didn’t soak them long enough, or they’d been sitting out in the fridge and dried out.

Praise where it’s due though - I’ve had the cha siew twice now and it’s tasted pretty good. Much better than the QF lounge.

Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

In the Pier J this week - no sign of mac and cheese, and the Asian room has returned to Asian selections. The Siu Mai we’re good - probably better than plaza premium version, there was some fried noodles, dragon boat rice dumplings, sweet and sour pork. Nothing amazing but they all tasted pretty good and probably similar to the plaza premium days. The western hall was still underwhelming.

Hopefully this is a sign they are getting better.

Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
In the Pier J this week - no sign of mac and cheese, and the Asian room has returned to Asian selections. The Siu Mai we’re good - probably better than plaza premium version, there was some fried noodles, dragon boat rice dumplings, sweet and sour pork. Nothing amazing but they all tasted pretty good and probably similar to the plaza premium days. The western hall was still underwhelming.

Hopefully this is a sign they are getting better.

That food doesn't look bad.

Last week CX asked me to fill out a review on my flights, including the quality of the lounges. With the latter, I supported the general opinion over here, regarding "an improvement might be useful for the J lounges".
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:06 am

I was in the pier was week and the food was bad. Only ok dish was the wanton noodles which is ok, and also the sorbet as explained. No longer has the wow factor.

When it was under the peninsula management, i made it a point to fly CX for asia despite a transit to make use of the lounge. Now in terms of food, KUL airport first class has better food, less busy and less walking! Facilities wise, the pier is still good.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tboons
Only ok dish was the wanton noodles which is ok.
The wonton noodles were wanton....
christep likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:03 am

Just learned that scrambled eggs for breakfast were enhanced away and replaced by hard boiled eggs at Bridge J as part of “the new menu”. Staff lady who already worked for PP before said she’s been getting lots of complaints from all sorts of pax. Even overheard another guy complaining as I walked over. Food selection was overall very, very bad.

They did offer to make me some scrambled eggs which I would have never thought of asking for, but they insisted. They were delicious.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
In Pier F last night and went by The Pantry to grab some drinks and could overhear a couple complaining to a senior lounge staff about how the quality of food "has degraded so much" since their last visit etc. Did not stay long to eavesdrop but as mentioned here, they probably get this a lot so I'm hoping someone is making a decision to make this reach Paul Loo or whoever it is overseeing the lounges now.

What I don't understand is the messaging for changing the operator was due to complaints with regard to quality of the food and services in the lounge in the PP days. The lounges used to give a a sense that the airline was looking after you and investing on your loyalty. Now I feel they only see the lounges as leaking pipes from their bottom line and couldn't care less with delivering "just ok." Otherwise still hopeful things improve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.