Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 9:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@Cambo there is a new selection of Champagne, including the much preferred Perrier-Jouet.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
@Cambo there is a new selection of Champagne, including the much preferred Perrier-Jouet.
I don't drink, though reading FT and other travel sites/blogs, a preferred champagne nearly always translates to a higher retail price version. So, to me, a more preferred/expensive champagne, might easily outweigh some dropped goodies, consumed by only a few people. Not so say, I can't imagine, port&sherry are completely dropped, more probably concentrated in one area, together with other alcohol beverages. Let me check myself next month
Old May 22, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Cambo
I don't want to devalue your review, you certainly were missing appreciated items, though were there other new items added (whether you appreciated these or not) ?
I can't comment on the alcohol offerings, as those aren't of import to me. As a mentioned, there was a small buffet now in the canteen with hot offerings (I think 2 types of dim sum, fried rice, and sausages). They were okay, but nothing that would define this as an F lounge. That's why I say, as a previous poster mentioned, that a more well-rounded buffet with quality offerings (and that are distinguished from the offerings in the J lounge) might be a positive move.

I believe that among the juices there is also now white guava juice.

SXC questioned whether The Bridge has changed to Sodexo. This I don't know, but for sure the breakfast offerings are different. Besides the food in the heated round serving dishes on the right side not looking particularly appetizing, the panini area in the middle wasn't offering the same toasts/sandwiches as in the past.

Indeed, it's all very subjective. We all have our favorites. I just happen to like bacon and chocolate, and both have disappeared. Life will go on.....
Old May 23, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jiaotze
SXC questioned whether The Bridge has changed to Sodexo. This I don't know, but for sure the breakfast offerings are different. Besides the food in the heated round serving dishes on the right side not looking particularly appetizing, the panini area in the middle wasn't offering the same toasts/sandwiches as in the past..
Yes they are also with Sodexo according to the Lounge staff I spoke to last Sunday. Overall I think the consensus was the quality of food has dropped significantly.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cambo
I don't drink, though reading FT and other travel sites/blogs, a preferred champagne nearly always translates to a higher retail price version. So, to me, a more preferred/expensive champagne, might easily outweigh some dropped goodies, consumed by only a few people. Not so say, I can't imagine, port&sherry are completely dropped, more probably concentrated in one area, together with other alcohol beverages. Let me check myself next month
I drink a fair amount of wine. The Champagne can be classified as a small upgrade if nothing but Moet and Veuve are just as plain jane as it gets (are they gone now?).The price difference is minimal and I'm sure they get some type of deal, and regardless I don't think it should be a point of praise spending $2-3 more for a bottle of what amounts to mass market Champagne. I'd waayy rather they re-invest in some proper red and white still wines or something else. (And if the Moet Rose is gone, that's a definite downgrade! I didn't notice not sure about this.) But even if everything else is still there and PJ is added, just being clear it's a very *minor* upgrade not major. This is still entry-level NV Brut Champagne which is 2/3 they serve in Wing F, plus Moet Rose NV. Meanwhile, I didn't see any upgrade to the red or white still wines when I was in there. Perhaps there was inventory of the old stuff I'll make a point to investigate later this week if there are any changes. If those still wines are upgraded, it will be much appreciated and I'll walk back this criticism. Really would love that. But given what I see so far, I'm not getting my hopes up. Swapping one entry level NV Brut Champagne for another is...not really much of anything if you're into wine, except it will probably please some bloggers who "appreciate" the $1 increased price tag. Lol.

Meanwhile, the food is clearly worse.

Originally Posted by jiaotze
I can't comment on the alcohol offerings, as those aren't of import to me. As a mentioned, there was a small buffet now in the canteen with hot offerings (I think 2 types of dim sum, fried rice, and sausages). They were okay, but nothing that would define this as an F lounge. That's why I say, as a previous poster mentioned, that a more well-rounded buffet with quality offerings (and that are distinguished from the offerings in the J lounge) might be a positive move.

I believe that among the juices there is also now white guava juice.

SXC questioned whether The Bridge has changed to Sodexo. This I don't know, but for sure the breakfast offerings are different. Besides the food in the heated round serving dishes on the right side not looking particularly appetizing, the panini area in the middle wasn't offering the same toasts/sandwiches as in the past.

Indeed, it's all very subjective. We all have our favorites. I just happen to like bacon and chocolate, and both have disappeared. Life will go on.....
I can't speak to the Bridge, but it seems pretty clear in Pier F and Wing F where I've been in the last week, food is distinctively worse.

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Yes they are also with Sodexo according to the Lounge staff I spoke to last Sunday. Overall I think the consensus was the quality of food has dropped significantly.
Agreed.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Takeways from change to PP, and now to Sodexo

To PP
The biggest change I noticed was service got worse. Not in a mean way but far less polished, orders screwed up, chickens running around without heads. Food items seemed to become slightly less quality / and or cheaper, but overall service was the big thing I noticed. Somewhat incompetent.

To Sodexo
Food quality has tanked. It's basically the feel of an industrial kitchen now. Even though I thought PP "declined" from Peninsula, PP still tried to uphold some of the same standards and the "old way" of Peninsula.

Compare that to the change to Sodexo. Food in the last few weeks in Wing and Pier F feel like mass produced food coming off an industrial assembly line. It is just night and day.

The staff all seem very pleasant, but it doesn't feel polished at all. At least I can say they are not rude. I'm giving them a pass for screwing up my orders two out of the last two times because I guess that's the norm now when we change lounge operators (lol, second change in 2 years right?), and the new company staff need time to settle in. But clearly food quality / philosophy is very different with this company, or their budget just got slashed. Either way it's a bummer for CX.
HKGglobaltrotter likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:39 am

This was last Saturday at the Pier First....
kaka and anchor79 like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
FlyPointyEnd- thanks..

this is depressing- if there was one good thing with CX over the past few years- it had been the lounges....F&B/crew morale decline is well documented..the hardware, while still up there, is no longer ‘head and shoulders’ above..and now, this..
kaka likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Ah yah
pier f made food orders sound like cha chan tengs. Have i said that already?
basically replied my food order as if i were in one of those.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by kaka
Ah yah
pier f made food orders sound like cha chan tengs. Have i said that already?
basically replied my food order as if i were in one of those.
I think they are gunning for very authentic HK experience. Very similar to what you get on board to.... 😂😂😂

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; May 23, 2018 at 6:21 am
Old May 23, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
FlyPointyEnd- thanks..

this is depressing- if there was one good thing with CX over the past few years- it had been the lounges....F&B/crew morale decline is well documented..the hardware, while still up there, is no longer ‘head and shoulders’ above..and now, this..
I blame both the guest and the staff for this last photo. It’s really not an excuse for the staff not to routinely clean up the restroom, but at the same time I wonder why can’t guests discard the tissue paper properly? The bin was right there.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

I think they are gunning for very authentice HK experience. Very similar to what you get on board to.... 😂😂😂
they do align rather well the further back you seat
Old May 23, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i always order dan dan noodle with wonton. every time F got it right... after handover they brought me dan dan noodle with wontone (welldone) but also brought me.wonton noodle... when i said its not for me, they still tried.to tell me to have it, then 2 wait staff started arguing right in front of me why they screwed up order.... i mean come on this is F lounge i am eating.... they need training of common sense, theh should have immediately disappered to kitchen and argur there...
Old May 23, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fakecd
i always order dan dan noodle with wonton. every time F got it right... after handover they brought me dan dan noodle with wontone (welldone) but also brought me.wonton noodle... when i said its not for me, they still tried.to tell me to have it, then 2 wait staff started arguing right in front of me why they screwed up order.... i mean come on this is F lounge i am eating.... they need training of common sense, theh should have immediately disappered to kitchen and argur there...
there you go, cha chan teng.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:46 am
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
I was in the Bridge J on I think 3rd May breakfast time. No bacon. No dim sums. Very tasteless sausages. Noticeable drop in quality. I was hoping it was just teething issues.

I was in The Wing J about 10 days ago and didn't bother too much with the food; I didn't fancy noodles and the self serve options I struggle to remember; I think I had a roll and salami plus some cheese - okay but nothing to write home about. But to be fair, it's been a while since I last went upstairs at The Wing.

One thing though about The Wing. usually I stay downstairs when I'm there. but 10 days ago, I was basically ushered to go upstairs - so just wondering whether downstairs was full or whether the CX greeters were keen to steer customers away from whatever was offered downstairs!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.