Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've moved some of the posts to their own rumour thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...o-members.html

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Last edited by sxc; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by hl176
Sodexo? Is that a joke?

Any food catered by Sodexo is hideous and laughable. I went to one of the top boarding schools in Canada and where catering was switched to Sodexo and is stilled catered by them; completely inedible (Jack Ma's son attended, Lai Sun's Peter Lam and his son also attended, Nicholas Tse, and numerous others). Hospitals and prisons in Canada are catered by Sodexo.

Let's just say the food was so bad that people would rather just eat outside instead of at the cafeteria and once, the headmaster was seen dumping his plate of food in the trash after a bite. Sodexo became a running joke and meme around the the school to the point some individuals had #sodexo on one of the patches for their grad jackets.

I hope this is just a bad joke.
From experience, I think Sodexo's quality is quite diverse. My college in the US uses Sodexo and the food quality is rather bad. When I worked in the United Nations HQ in Bangkok, it too used Sodexo, and the quality is quite decent. By the end of the day, i think it's up to the budget they're given. Lets hope for the best.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Looks like it’s confirmed as of yesterday.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Looks like it’s confirmed as of yesterday.
Where did you read this?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sxc

Where did you read this?
http://www.sodexo.com/files/live/sit...evenues_EN.PDF

Page 7 of the document said contract signed for 6 CX lounges in HKG.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by lesteryen

Brilliant!

CX has 7 lounges if you count J and F sides of Wing and Pier separately. Or 5 if you count them as one. So it seems clear to me either a) CX gave contract for all lounges to Sodexo except Cabin, which is going for a refurb presumably 12-18 months, or b) CX is holding one of the F lounges back. "B" makes considerably less sense to me so I'm gonna guess it's "a".
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Brilliant!

CX has 7 lounges if you count J and F sides of Wing and Pier separately. Or 5 if you count them as one. So it seems clear to me either a) CX gave contract for all lounges to Sodexo except Cabin, which is going for a refurb presumably 12-18 months, or b) CX is holding one of the F lounges back. "B" makes considerably less sense to me so I'm gonna guess it's "a".
over dinner w a buddy i was told cx wants to bring competition to the ops of lounges. So each operator will take half. Remember pen catering and pp also had theor shared moments?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka

over dinner w a buddy i was told cx wants to bring competition to the ops of lounges. So each operator will take half. Remember pen catering and pp also had theor shared moments?
In my haste, I forgot The Arrival. So I think there are actually 8 (counting F/J separately) or 6 (counting Pier and Wing as one big lounge each) CX lounges, not 7. I had been thinking airside only.

IF Wing F/J and Pier F/J are counted as one each, then Sodexo saying they got 6 lounges at HKG could mean them all in a clean sweep, if Wing and Pier are classified as one big lounge each (meaning 5 airside + 1 landside).

Or, it could mean CX has given 6 to Sodexo and left 2 for PP, if F and J are defined separately. Either way it doesn't look good for PP! Even if CX defines itself as having 8 lounges at HKG not 6, and Sodexo got 6, ....PP could still only be left with 1, say The Arrival, Sodexo gets 6 airside, and The Cabin is left in the air while it renovates. That would mean Sodexo runs all airside lounges. The mystery!

CX must be pissed at PP.

My count of lounges either 8 or 6 am I missing any?:
Wing F
Wing J
Arrival
Bridge
Cabin
Deck (this thread)
Pier J
Pier F

​​​​​​
kaka likes this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 20, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Don't know what is wrong at PP that caused them to change away. It was only maybe <2 years where they changed from Peninsula.

I really like PP running the Pier F. Service times are quick and they have a decent menu esp with the burger and it was good to see some craft beer on the menu instead of those mainstream branded lagers.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I have heard Sodexo currently provides catering at UA and AF lounges at HKIA. I have not been to either so I don't know how good/bad they are. Though you mentioned, it's all down to individual airline's budget so one can only wait and hope it will be an improvement (Wishful thinking? haha)
UA? Let me tell you this. Whenever I fly UA/ANA J, I always go to TG/SQ J. Tells you all you need to know about UA lounge at HKIA. Now that UA goes Polaris in HKG, things should be improved, but we have no idea when the heck it will become Polaris Lounge in HKG. At this moment, no, awful.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:08 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Further to the Sodexo revenue commentary that confirms their takeover of the CX lounges, they will be starting with The Deck which opens in Q1 (actual date is not confirmed), and the rest of the departure lounges will transition to Sodexo throughout the year.

It seems The Arrival is excluded. And Plaza Premium will still work with CX on their overseas lounges.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lesteryen

(Hat tip to The Crown) Colditz in Studioilse?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:53 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Some coverage:

Cathay lounge users set for upgrade as airline ditches much-criticised operator
https://sc.mp/2Dv1vmv

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...tm_source=grid

Last edited by sxc; Jan 22, 2018 at 2:27 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2129999/lounge-users-line-upgraded-service-hong-kong-airport-cathay

Wonder why CX couldn't go back to the Peninsula group or use Sofitel Group like Qantas.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2129999/lounge-users-line-upgraded-service-hong-kong-airport-cathay

Wonder why CX couldn't go back to the Peninsula group or use Sofitel Group like Qantas.
Money...Money...Money $$$$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.