Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: MPO DM; PenClub; Netjets;
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Lol to elitism. We're talking about airports mate and flying around at 30k feet in shiny metal tubes with 300 other people we don't know. None of this is really high end on any absolute basis. And there's always a level to one-up something.

Compared to other airport experiences, the only time I've visited VS in LHR I was impressed. And fwiw, I enjoy Cafe de Coral from time to time!
You really lack professionalism even though you yourself claim to be an individual working in the high end consulting field; no need to get personal and hostile with the jabs. I was merely making remarks based on what you wrote and I was confused.

Regarding your point to elitism, I find it highly laughable and ironic you're pointing that towards me when you yourself are always like "I only fly F and J", "I've rarely sat in the back lately", "The food is inedible". Perhaps those statements could be reworded better.

Further to your point regarding high end catering, I never said Cafe de Coral was terrible. In fact, I don't mind it from time to time. However, just because one perceives something as a positive, tasty, or enjoyable does not equate it to be high end or of the top calibre. I have no doubt some things are enjoyable to others but classifying airline lounge for catering services as high end, that's a long shot.

PS. I bought more AS miles during this current promotion.

Last edited by tuhao888; Jan 23, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: *A, OW, AM
Originally Posted by kaka
no man. i was ignored by the staff at the pier when i was in a party of maybe 4 to order for at least 10 minutes. in the end i just walked over to self-order.
Was the visit recent? Guess PP is still hit and miss? Yet there are so many users at CXTPF (literally every seat was occupied when I visited last time and queued up over 2 hours for massage) these days as compared to Pen times when TPF was pretty tranquil and exclusive without many flyers to be served.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Does anyone know what will be the Chinese name of The Deck?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by SAGflyer
Was the visit recent? Guess PP is still hit and miss? Yet there are so many users at CXTPF (literally every seat was occupied when I visited last time and queued up over 2 hours for massage) these days as compared to Pen times when TPF was pretty tranquil and exclusive without many flyers to be served.
Well lounge overcrowding is not a PP or Pen issue.

TBH I really cannot identify with what people are saying on lounge overcrowding and poor service. Granted I don't fly weekly. But on the times I have mainly been there below - there was nigh an issue.

Fri 3-830pm departures
Fri overnight departures
Sat mid and late morning departures
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by tuhao888
You really lack professionalism even though you yourself claim to be an individual working in the high end consulting field; no need to get personal and hostile with the jabs. I was merely making remarks based on what you wrote and I was confused.
You're right about one thing. Consulting is, candidly, not my profession.

But I don't mean offense....I just thought your comments, particularly in light of a few in another thread or two, were elitist, at least in my eyes. Name dropping things that didn't seem necessary except to provoke (Chanel, private planes, the brand name of absurdly expensive jackets, etc.). What we buy, whether or not some of fly private, etc. - at least a few members I know on this board do regularly, and haven't once mentioned it - I found as oddly unnecessary details, and struck me as "provocative".

Originally Posted by tuhao888
Regarding your point to elitism, I find it highly laughable and ironic you're pointing that towards me when you yourself are always like "I only fly F and J", "I've rarely sat in the back lately", "The food is inedible". Perhaps those statements could be reworded better.
​​​​​​Okay. Although the context of my posts would be helpful. I think (hope!) I mostly say these things when folks are asking for advice about longhaul economy, etc.. Admittedly I'm no good for advice in economy as I am for CX's premium cabins, this is just reality. I've spent plenty of time in my life economy class before. Truthfully, I don't much anymore, and I'm quite thankful for that. But I have real respect for the pain endured by longhaul road warriors in Y, far more than friends who whinge about things I find absurd, whose wealth seems to have helped them lose the plot. To the extent my memory is accurate, I suspect I offer comments like those when helping folks out who have multiple queries, and I don't respond to part of it. But if I've offended, my apologies.

I'll add, no doubt you've seen my other quite strong arguments in favor of seat blocks in Y, not discriminating against "economy DMs", etc. I don't benefit from these things directly but I still feel quite strongly in favor of them.

I do really dislike CX's J catering, and to the extent that's elitist well so be it.

Finally, for the point about high end, maybe we have different definitions of it. Sure, in luxury world there is a fairly vertical hierarchy of things. Higher price means "higher end", at least there is quite a high correlation in the eyes of most luxury consumers....many of whom are indeed in the group of folks who "earned" the disparaging nickname for mainland nouveau riche you've decided to use as your handle. But of course, as those folks with the nickname perhaps teach us through their outlandish behavior and coarse words, price and high end really aren't the same thing.

Wrapping up to keep somewhat on topic....to me a "high end" experience doesn't necessarily mean price, despite frequent correlation. I think...as far as airport lounges go (in the relative sense.. it's in an airport, after all!) the Virgin Clubhouse thing was quite lovely. I've tried it all of once. If that doesn't fit your definition of high end perhaps I should say I was just write peaceful, relaxed and it was a great experience compared to even many F lounges I've tried. And Sodexo is the caterer there.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 24, 2018 at 1:57 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: MPO DM; PenClub; Netjets;
Originally Posted by QRC3288
You're right about one thing. Consulting is, candidly, not my profession.

But I don't mean offense....I just thought your comments, particularly in light of a few in another thread or two, were elitist, at least in my eyes. Name dropping things that didn't seem necessary except to provoke (Chanel, private planes, the brand name of absurdly expensive jackets, etc.). What we buy, whether or not some of fly private, etc. - at least a few members I know on this board do regularly, and haven't once mentioned it - I found as oddly unnecessary details, and struck me as "provocative".

​​​​​​Okay. Although the context of my posts would be helpful. I think (hope!) I mostly say these things when folks are asking for advice about longhaul economy, etc.. Admittedly I'm no good for advice in economy as I am for CX's premium cabins, this is just reality. I've spent plenty of time in my life economy class before. Truthfully, I don't much anymore, and I'm quite thankful for that. But I have real respect for the pain endured by longhaul road warriors in Y, far more than friends who whinge about things I find absurd, whose wealth seems to have helped them lose the plot. To the extent my memory is accurate, I suspect I offer comments like those when helping folks out who have multiple queries, and I don't respond to part of it. But if I've offended, my apologies.

I'll add, no doubt you've seen my other quite strong arguments in favor of seat blocks in Y, not discriminating against "economy DMs", etc. I don't benefit from these things directly but I still feel quite strongly in favor of them.

I do really dislike CX's J catering, and to the extent that's elitist well so be it.

Finally, for the point about high end, maybe we have different definitions of it. Sure, in luxury world there is a fairly vertical hierarchy of things. Higher price means "higher end", at least there is quite a high correlation in the eyes of most luxury consumers....many of whom are indeed in the group of folks who "earned" the disparaging nickname for mainland nouveau riche you've decided to use as your handle. But of course, as those folks with the nickname perhaps teach us through their outlandish behavior and coarse words, price and high end really aren't the same thing.

Wrapping up to keep somewhat on topic....to me a "high end" experience doesn't necessarily mean price, despite frequent correlation. I think...as far as airport lounges go (in the relative sense.. it's in an airport, after all!) the Virgin Clubhouse thing was quite lovely. I've tried it all of once. If that doesn't fit your definition of high end perhaps I should say I was just write peaceful, relaxed and it was a great experience compared to even many F lounges I've tried. And Sodexo is the caterer there.
Yes, agreed on many of the points you listed.

However, I still do not understand the point about the lack of correlation between whether something is considered high end or not. I know everything is relative but just because one enjoys something, it categorically does not automatically make it higher end. That's the most difficult part I'm trying to grasp right now. You mentioned that you enjoy Cafe de Coral from time to time; how does that elevate the hierarchical category of the company just because consumers enjoy it?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Let’s get back to the topic of this thread - the change over of the lounge operator to Sodexo.

Thanks
sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
What can Sodexo do better that PP or Pen can't.

Mind you the staff are likely to be the same (just name badge change only)

Was happy to get rid of that Pen champagne that was horrid.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SAGflyer
10 september.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ermen

i guess it's gotta do with cx's management or how they turn a blind eye to issues.
and the budget.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:51 am

My biggest issue with professional outsources is the steady decline they tend to stand for. Rarely have I experienced an improvement in services.

Assuming staff costs remain the same, the only other ability to affect Sodexho's profitability (or to provide a lower tender price) is via costs. Initially this is via economies of scale. On day 1, say this is split between Sodexho and client; when I say 'split' I refer to the price they're able to undercut the competition by.

Over time it is easy for Sodexho to skim the costs, either via holding its price constant (thus inflation eats away at actual budget) or via substitutions in its supply chain. Because they are professional outsources, the entire organisation is valued based on perceived costs savings, vs. say the 'luxury proposition' such as the Pen, and ultimately this infiltrates the overall product required. In the end the menus will be driven by costs, rather than creativity (not the existing food is particularly creative).

I am fairly sure this is offered as a fixed price contract thus there's no incentive for Sodexho to provide services above pass grade; CX then reduces budget and the decline continues. For an applicable case study: see BA EC Baxter-Storey contract change...
djsflynn and QRC3288 like this.

Last edited by dodgeflyer; Jan 24, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:55 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by ermen

To credit where it’s due, Sodexo could potentially deliver on a more cohesive menu and selection.

Given what I heard from a friend, CX doesn’t design menu but the operator does.

Given its operations, sodexo could potentially get better ingredients for the same price given its purchasing power, or same quality at a lower cost.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: All the programs!
I hope Sodexo does improve things but my previous experience with their brand has been so-so.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:37 pm

Just to underscore the sheer scope of out-sourcing and how it comes back to the airline and how low (or high) it sets the bar: reflect that SATS prepares meals for everybody from Singapore Airlines to Scoot to Singapore's military services (true story: SATS is working on military meal packs which have an incredibly long shelf life without being refrigerated, makes you wonder if that might trickle up to some LCCs!).

Sodexo is exactly the same proposition: the client will get what they're willing to pay for, and what they're willing to tolerate in case standards slip after a starting at a high benchmark.

Last edited by djsflynn; Feb 25, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hl176
To credit where it’s due, Sodexo could potentially deliver on a more cohesive menu and selection.
Agree might be possible. After all it's Sodexo not Sodexo Justice Services https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...started-a-riot who's been appointed CX lounge caterer right*?

(*wonder will we change our minds few months after they've taken over)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.