Check In - Heathrow

Old Jan 2, 18, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF
Check In - Heathrow

Hi all

Departing on the 5pm flight in a few weeks, and hoping to check in and go to the lounge around midday so I can take a few calls before boarding.

According to the Cathay website, Heathrow checkin is open all day. However, I recently travelled out of Terminal 3 on another airline and noticed the CX check in counters were unmanned around 12pm. I looked carefully to see if there was even 1 counter attended but no.

Anybody have any experience checking in early at Heathrow ?
Old Jan 2, 18, 3:47 pm
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I've noticed the same thing, I guess you just have to get there earlier so that they are still checking in the morning flight, or don't arrive until about 1330. At LGW they seem to be there from nearly 4 hours before departure.
Old Jan 2, 18, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by drb1979 View Post
Hi all

Departing on the 5pm flight in a few weeks, and hoping to check in and go to the lounge around midday so I can take a few calls before boarding.

According to the Cathay website, Heathrow checkin is open all day. However, I recently travelled out of Terminal 3 on another airline and noticed the CX check in counters were unmanned around 12pm. I looked carefully to see if there was even 1 counter attended but no.

Did you check the first class check in desk? They happily checked me in since they were the only ones open.
Old Jan 2, 18, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I've noticed the same thing, I guess you just have to get there earlier so that they are still checking in the morning flight, or don't arrive until about 1330. At LGW they seem to be there from nearly 4 hours before departure.
Yes, there is a 12.25 departure to HKG.
Old Jan 3, 18, 3:24 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Interesting to hear comments, we are flying out end of month at 17.15 and were planning on getting to T3 around 12 noon, as was mentioned by alliekat we will look to see if the First class desks are open as we are OWE. We also want to make the most of the lounges before departure
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral View Post
Yes, there is a 12.25 departure to HKG.
In the winter itís 11.25.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF
Thanks all for your responses. I'll get there around 12 and see if I'm in luck.

BA5E - please do report your experience!
Old Jan 13, 18, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by drb1979 View Post
Hi all

Have just read on the travel information section of the Cathay website, it says that check in desks are open all day from 07.30 to 21.45
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:30 am

Plenty of time, I recently had a 50 min and a 45 min transfer. For the 50 min one we arrived from London 20 mins late, giving me 30 mins. The crew made sure I was first off and I found myself at the gate for my next flight with a few minutes to spare (including a long walk through HKG), then they held the flight by 15 mins for more passengers from the London flight. The 45 min transfer was also a breeze, you certainly can't be slow, but you don't need to run. Just have your wits about you, I even had time to pick up some duty free. Cathay are fantastic at transfers and helping and HKG is a lovely airport to do a quick transfer in.
Old Jan 14, 18, 1:49 pm

Programs: MH, AC, AS
Originally Posted by mediamonkey View Post
Plenty of time, I recently had a 50 min and a 45 min transfer. For the 50 min one we arrived from London 20 mins late, giving me 30 mins. The crew made sure I was first off and I found myself at the gate for my next flight with a few minutes to spare (including a long walk through HKG), then they held the flight by 15 mins for more passengers from the London flight. The 45 min transfer was also a breeze, you certainly can't be slow, but you don't need to run. Just have your wits about you, I even had time to pick up some duty free. Cathay are fantastic at transfers and helping and HKG is a lovely airport to do a quick transfer in.

How does this relate to the OP's situation?
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post

How does this relate to the OP's situation?
Whoops, sorry! I was meant to post this on a different thread. I'm an idiot. Apologies