Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Extra baggage fees - help me figure this out?

Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific's information on excess baggage from the Americas is somewhat unclear. I'm hoping someone out there has some experience and can clarify for me?

Per this page, if I am flying economy from the US to Bangkok my allotment is two bags, each one max 50 pounds.
2 pieces23kg /50lbs each
So far, so good.

Here's where it gets confusing. When I look at their extra baggage information here, it indicates that if I check a third piece of luggage it will cost me $150. However, what is not clear is whether that $150 gets me an additional 50 pounds in my baggage allotment or if paying $150 gets me an additional bag, but all three bags still have to come in at 100 pounds or less. Yes, "Charge for baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance is calculated by piece at the applicable extra baggage charge on a zone basis listed as below," but that seems a bit unclear.

Any insight? I'm actually moving, so the weight issue is a huge item for me!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
It would not make sense to pay $150 to get a 3rd bag and then get not a single ounce of weight allowed on board over your 2 bag free allowance.

You get the additional bag and the weight allotment for it when you buy additional baggage allotments

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.