Involuntary downgrade from BKK

Old Jan 1, 18, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Involuntary downgrade from BKK

I'm flying tomorrow from BKK to SIN in paid D class with my girlfriend. I made two reservations but hers shows up in my MMB as a companion.

Just tried online check in and while it let me (I am MP gold) do so we weren't able to check her in (she has no status). Something about flight limitations was the reason given.

In anticipation of them trying to involuntarily downgrade her tomorrow could anyone let me know what we are entitled to in compensation. Clearly I am not going to want to travel in J if she has been shunted back to PEY, so how do I address that situation?

I hope it's unnecessary but any advice gratefully received.

Last edited by newshound; Jan 1, 18 at 2:28 am
Old Jan 1, 18, 5:57 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
flight is full in all cabin. i would say ur worry is she getting bumped off rerouted via other cariers thus being on same flight is not your worst outcome.

just try to get to airport early and check in together... she is on seperate PNR thats the weak link
CX 619BKK 12:45p → SIN 4:20p
J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Don't mind being moved to another flight if it is both of us, clearly I'm not going to let us be split across different flights. Is that feasible or are we screwed?
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:49 am

Did your GF have a seat assigned already? Since all seats are taken or blocked, wondering if that is preventing online check-in?
Old Jan 1, 18, 9:05 am
Original Poster

No, when I booked it it wouldn't allow me to assign a seat. I assumed this was because she had no status.

Plan to arrive reasonably early tomorrow and see what they say. What are we entitled to in terms of compensation if there is an issue? The laws I Thailand are presumably different from the EU in these circumstances.
Old Jan 1, 18, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by newshound View Post
No, when I booked it it wouldn't allow me to assign a seat. I assumed this was because she had no status.

Plan to arrive reasonably early tomorrow and see what they say. What are we entitled to in terms of compensation if there is an issue? The laws I Thailand are presumably different from the EU in these circumstances.
Nothing "entitled", whatever you might get will be up to CX if they really need the seats.

There is a good chance that people won't show up / missconnect / cancel at last minute though, and it won't be an issue at all.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 1, 18, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Paid Biz, if they bump insist they put you on another carrier. You are leaving 1/2 from BKK? SQ, TG?
Old Jan 1, 18, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

It is too late now. When you booked your ticket, you could have called MPC to do seat assignment for both of you so you can sit together. I do that very often when I had traveling companions. They need to be on the same flight as me but not necessarily the same booking.
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Believe CX let you choose seats in Biz no matter it's paid J/C/D/I or redemption U?

You can also try to do in-town check-in one day in advance (from 6am?) to get a BP but again CX can still bump you off at gate (less likely but still).
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:41 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Why does CX put you on different booking numbers when redeeming a companion award where they force you to book on the same flight where you are on. It just makes no sense to me.
Old Jan 1, 18, 11:38 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.

If you're MP GO, call and try releasing 11DG.
It's a block right now. I think they're just being held for elites.

Failing that, 21A or K for the GF.
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:27 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
so flight must have happened. what was outcome?
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

We arrived super early and after much humming and hawing we ended up getting 21K for the GF which wasn't a total disaster as I had 20A so a quick seat swap with a friendly solo passenger and we were next to each other.

Reason for different bookings was that I was on a return flight originating in SIN and she was on a one way from BKK-SIN.

Thanks for all the help, glad it worked out in the end.
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:52 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Aside from the seat allocation, CX didn't say anything about potential downgrades or offloads?
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

It was the fact we couldn't check her in online for some spurious reason

Search this Thread
Search Engine: