Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What is Wrong with the UK Call Centre?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler

I am American based, but I will sometimes call Cathay’s UK’s number to get seats, or anything else I need with my reservation. Is it just me or is there something weird about their UK office? They always want you to take their “customer satisfaction survey” after the call which makes me wonder.

Every time I call I get someone very stern sounding, and they are always Eastern European. Nothing against Eastern Europeans, I am Eastern European. But thservice is extremely stern and serious sounding. The Cathay US Office is closed now, so I just called the UK line to get seats on my upcoming departure. I gave him my confirmation number, then he asks for my name, then he asks for the date of travel, then he asks for my routing of my travel. I appreciate the extra security, but this seems a bit excessive. I don’t know if any other airline that asks for this specific detail. But whatever...

So as I’m telling him all that information, then I say “I’d like seat 2K” he says “are you living in the UK at this time?” Uhhhh... I felt like saying are YOU living in the UK at this time? Would you like to get tea after this call too? What on earth does me living in the UK have ANYTHING to do with my seat assignment, or my reservation at all for that matter? I couldn’t help but chuckle, I said yes, he assigned my seat, and I hung up. But seriously, what is up with that call center? I always have a bad/weird experience from someone whose extremely uptight and unfriendly. Now I can’t say they don’t get the job done. Also they will assign in row 2 in F, something the US call centers will not do until the day of departure so that is always helpful. But other than that it’s just an odd call center for a premier Asian carrier.

So while the customer service can be odd, and uptight, I do appreciate they get what needs to be done and do it. But that was the weirdest call center experience I have ever had.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Dec 24, 2017 at 5:20 am
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:14 am

Seems that the Customer satisfaction survey after the call is a routine for each call.
Well I'm also curious about if the place you're living has anything to do with your seat assignment.
BTW if you only want seat assignment, you could always call the HK call centre or even DM them of facebook. I've done that without any issue.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidtai
Seems that the Customer satisfaction survey after the call is a routine for each call.
Well I'm also curious about if the place you're living has anything to do with your seat assignment.
BTW if you only want seat assignment, you could always call the HK call centre or even DM them of facebook. I've done that without any issue.
DM that’s good. It’s become a routine of just calling them now. Will DM’s on twitter assign row 2 in F?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly

DM that’s good. It’s become a routine of just calling them
now. Will DM’s on twitter assign row 2 in F?
I think twitter is the same too. I also had my FFP changed by talking to an agent on Facebook too.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidtai
I think twitter is the same too. I also had my FFP changed by talking to an agent on Facebook too.
Thank you. Will probably do that in the future from now on.

Still weird, and wondering what it is with the UK call center.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:59 pm

CX has a call center based in Krakow, Poland.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I am American based, but I will sometimes call Cathay’s UK’s number to get seats, or anything else I need with my reservation. Is it just me or is there something weird about their UK office? They always want you to take their “customer satisfaction survey” after the call which makes me wonder.

Every time I call I get someone very stern sounding, and they are always Eastern European. Nothing against Eastern Europeans, I am Eastern European. But thservice is extremely stern and serious sounding. The Cathay US Office is closed now, so I just called the UK line to get seats on my upcoming departure. I gave him my confirmation number, then he asks for my name, then he asks for the date of travel, then he asks for my routing of my travel. I appreciate the extra security, but this seems a bit excessive. I don’t know if any other airline that asks for this specific detail. But whatever...

So as I’m telling him all that information, then I say “I’d like seat 2K” he says “are you living in the UK at this time?” Uhhhh... I felt like saying are YOU living in the UK at this time? Would you like to get tea after this call too? What on earth does me living in the UK have ANYTHING to do with my seat assignment, or my reservation at all for that matter? I couldn’t help but chuckle, I said yes, he assigned my seat, and I hung up. But seriously, what is up with that call center? I always have a bad/weird experience from someone whose extremely uptight and unfriendly. Now I can’t say they don’t get the job done. Also they will assign in row 2 in F, something the US call centers will not do until the day of departure so that is always helpful. But other than that it’s just an odd call center for a premier Asian carrier.

So while the customer service can be odd, and uptight, I do appreciate they get what needs to be done and do it. But that was the weirdest call center experience I have ever had.
Row 2 can be assigned at any time if the seat is free. Calling HK is probably the easiest way to do this although as bassinet seats they normally advise you that you can be moved at any time if they are required by a person with an infant.

Asking if you are living in the UK might be to update your contact details since you are calling the UK office. It could be considered a courtesy rather than an issue with assigning you seats.

The 'excessive' security isn't half as bad as BA's. Even when you call them in response to a flight disruption - something they've emailed or SMS'd you about - you have to endure five or six questions before they will help you.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Row 2 can be assigned at any time if the seat is free. Calling HK is probably the easiest way to do this although as bassinet seats they normally advise you that you can be moved at any time if they are required by a person with an infant.

Asking if you are living in the UK might be to update your contact details since you are calling the UK office. It could be considered a courtesy rather than an issue with assigning you seats.

The 'excessive' security isn't half as bad as BA's. Even when you call them in response to a flight disruption - something they've emailed or SMS'd you about - you have to endure five or six questions before they will help you.
I can understand if a flight disruption happens, and they want to verify that it’s you for a whole multitude of reasons, but a seat assignment???

Yes, some US phone agents will sometimes give you row 2, but lots of times will tell you, you have to ask at the airport. If you’re not insistent, they won’t give it to you. The UK call center immediately does it, no questions asked which I kind of like.

Perhaps he was trying to be nice, but the tone in which he asked did not sound like he was trying to update any of my information. Also I’m not really sure what information there would be to update because I’m not a Marco Polo member, and I booked this ticket with Alaska miles. There would be zero UK phone numbers or addresses in my record anyway, so if I said that I was living in the UK, and his real reason was to update my info, he’d have stopped me and said sorry sir we don’t see any information on your move to the UK, so obviously that wasn’t his intention.

Quite frankly, I don’t know what his intention was. Your guess is as good as mine. I had assumed had I said I wasn’t in the UK he wasn’t going to help me.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, living in the UK and not ever having called Cathay Pacific, I can say that the amount of security calling any company has gone right up recently. There will be a reason for it of course but I don't think it is just Cathay that are doing it. The deep joy is if they pass you to another department and you sometimes have to start the entire process again.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Is this new? I think 10 months ago when I called the UK line it was people in their London office.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

I can understand if a flight disruption happens, and they want to verify that it’s you for a whole multitude of reasons, but a seat assignment???

Yes, some US phone agents will sometimes give you row 2, but lots of times will tell you, you have to ask at the airport. If you’re not insistent, they won’t give it to you. The UK call center immediately does it, no questions asked which I kind of like.

Perhaps he was trying to be nice, but the tone in which he asked did not sound like he was trying to update any of my information. Also I’m not really sure what information there would be to update because I’m not a Marco Polo member, and I booked this ticket with Alaska miles. There would be zero UK phone numbers or addresses in my record anyway, so if I said that I was living in the UK, and his real reason was to update my info, he’d have stopped me and said sorry sir we don’t see any information on your move to the UK, so obviously that wasn’t his intention.

Quite frankly, I don’t know what his intention was. Your guess is as good as mine. I had assumed had I said I wasn’t in the UK he wasn’t going to help me.
It's not just the seat assignment. You could be calling to confirm whether a particular person is travelling on a flight or not. They have to identify it's you. It can be a pain, but airlines are damned if they do, damned if they don't it seems.

t is more likely they were trying to update contact details than refuse to help you. Perhaps it was an added level of security on the booking. Or perhaps they sensed your unwillingness to engage and just moved on. It is not uncommon for the operating airline to want to update contact details regardless of how you made the booking, or whether you are a FF member with that airline. Most people would appreciate a call from the airline in the event of IRROPS.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:44 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by sxc

Is this new? I think 10 months ago when I called the UK line it was people in their London office.
Relatively new. They consolidated contact centers in YVR and KRK as far as I remember.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by TPJ
Relatively new. They consolidated contact centers in YVR and KRK as far as I remember.
So is there no more call centre at YVR? I believe there's one in BOM.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:16 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by sxc

When I called the UK line 6 months ago, it wasn’t a British agent I spoke to. In fact, I had called twice on the same day and both times the agents had foreign accents. Couldn’t quite make out the accent but of course that doesn’t mean they were not UK based. I noticed that the number had also changed from what it used to be.

S
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I called the UK line recently to book a semi complicated ex-UK multi city ticket. The agent I had was terrible. She said to me that there were only 28 days in October. And also took my email address down wrong so I never received my booking email. It took her 10 minutes to enter the booking and get a fare.

During the call she also put my call back into the queue and it got picked up by a fresh agent who sounded much more clued in. But I ended up getting put back onto my original agent since she was in the middle of making the booking.

When I called back to fix my email address I was put through to the Madrid office. I’m not sure if this was because I had chosen “exisiting booking” vs “new booking”. They really should swap it around because as sales agents, the Krakow team are not very pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.