Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG to MNL: No Seats for Sale - All Zero's. But Seats Open?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody

Trying to gain some insight in Cathay's rather bizarre inventory control.

Looking at CX905 HKG to MNL (Dec 28). Been watching it for a few weeks. Plan to get a J seat. Hoping for redemption. Willing to buy seat if necessary.

So today they suddenly go to

J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0
L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Whoa!

But when I look at seat availability, I see plenty. Sure, it's not empty. Nor is it full. I've attached the Seat Map.

I searched the boards here to see if someone could explain why they would do that. I saw two reasonable explanations:

1) The flight is oversold in one class -- maybe by a lot -- and they need to reserve space for op-up.
2) The flight is empty and they are contemplating cancellation.

Neither seems to be the case here. I know seat maps are not a precise reflection of bookings, but it seems they are a reasonable indicator. I know some people can't/don't select their seats at the time of purchase, but as I understand it when a ticket is booked like that CX will block A seat (as indicated by an "X") So if that is the case, they are certainly over half full. (The SOLD/OPEN is: Economy, 130/62, PE 12/9 if the "X" in PE is for bassinet, and J is only 10/29. Overall 152 sold out of 252, or 60%).

I also checked the preceding flight (CX913), which also shows no tickets for sale. (I thought perhaps that flight might be oversold and CX knew they would need to push people back to CX905). That flight seems to be MORE full, but still not oversold as far as I can see from the seat map. They also blocked 935 and 903 on that same day. They are selling seats on the other three HKG to MNL flights that day, but not for Economy.

Maybe they are considering an equipment swap? Maybe 60% triggers that, but

Or is this just one of the infamous IT glitches?

I'm arriving that day on CX807 and want to continue on to MNL. If CX is truly not going to offer seats here then I will feel compelled to urgently book a flight that night on another airline. Seems foolish of them, no?

Anyone experienced with this particular flight or situation? Should I just sit tight?

Last edited by Gongzuokuang; Dec 21, 2017 at 9:08 am Reason: Added some seat counts.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I searched the boards here to see if someone could explain why they would do that. I saw two reasonable explanations:

1) The flight is oversold in one class -- maybe by a lot -- and they need to reserve space for op-up.
2) The flight is empty and they are contemplating cancellation.

Neither seems to be the case here. I know seat maps are not a precise reflection of bookings, but it seems they are a reasonable indicator. I know some people can't/don't select their seats at the time of purchase, but as I understand it when a ticket is booked like that CX will block A seat (as indicated by an "X") So if that is the case, they are certainly over half full. (The SOLD/OPEN is: Economy, 130/62, PE 12/9 if the "X" in PE is for bassinet, and J is only 10/29. Overall 152 sold out of 252, or 60%).
Blocked seat has nothing to do with leaving seats for people who are unable to pre-select seats. They are blocked for airport control or élites. On the MNL route's economy class, I would imagine many pax are not eligible to pre-select seats. It is indeed true that they might need to op-up people to W or J, but the "empltiness" you see in Y really doesn't indicate anything especially on a route like this one.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I suspect it’s related to this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-stranded.html
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by sxc
Interesting. Thanks. I would have thought that was a pre-Christmas issue. Perhaps it has ripple effects.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Given it shows a 33K which is the lowest capacity fleet in CX, any equipment swap would actually increase the capacity. Oversold is a reasonable guess because of the travel agency relief.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
905 is usually a 773Z or a 33P as the route is usually very dense. Incidentally it is the only route where I regularly get an opup (sometimes double shot)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.