Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

IAD Launch Confirmed and Schedule Filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Launch Confirmed and Schedule Filed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
On my recent non-aviation project I've done for China Airlines, I've overheard their management talking about how New York is a dying market and they are only keeping the New York route for prestige, and they lost so much money there it's ridiculous.
In line with what is being reported by Taiwanese media.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:02 am

Polar routes - As long as JFK or even longer.

Fun facts for this route. I took a lot of DFW/JFK-HKG flights so I found this. Technically, JFK-HKG is always polar both ways, while DFW-HKG westbound is close to polar, but HKG-DFW Eastbound is usually through the Pacific Ocean. Sometimes you can get it done for 13.5 hours if the wind is your friend. This IAD route will always be in 16 hours range. I didn't notice any Eastbound routes take similar flight plans as HKG-DFW except YVR, SFO, and LAX. At least I didn't see that for ORD.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Aus106080
currently, all flight between hk and the us are codeshared by AA and CX. I do not see why the route will be the exception.
Ah you're right (had to do some digging though).....although AA's website always tries to steer you to flying on AA metal !
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by swingaling
Shame the timings are so late in the day (for my own purposes), but it's pretty obvious they aren't targeting transit pax.

The thing I find interesting is this will be the only direct HKG-WAS flight once launched, yet they're only doing a 4x/week service. There must be good demand for direct flights to Asia from WAS. Though I suppose it makes sense to start small and go from there.

Slightly OT, but does anyone know how BOS supports a daily HKG flight? It's a much smaller city than ORD (which barely supports 2x daily), but loads seem to be better than ORD these days. Who's flying that route? Biotech and (some) finance people? Is a lot of the traffic related to the various schools in Boston (Harvard, MIT, Tufts, BU, BC, etc)? I've only flown this route a couple times and couldn't get a good sense of the usual folks (since I was traveling on leisure-heavy days). Definitely different than the makeup of the HKG-LAX route.
Similar to Boston, there is a strong biotech/pharma presence in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area that IAD serves. Close proximity to several key agencies such as NIH, National Cancer Institute, and FDA may also help reduce costs for government personnel traveling to Asia for audits, congresses etc, and vice versa. While Boston has more top tier schools, the DC area is also home to many major universities for international students. Georgetown, George Washington, University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, University of Maryland, Johns Hopkins etc.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Places they could start that's not on most people radar: Orange County, CA.
Totally agree! OC and surrounding areas like Irvine are Asian central. However the length of runway is short and there are heavy noise restrictions at the airport. What about more routes to San Diego? I know it's further from LAX but there is a significant demand for Asia travel from San Diego I would think.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Instead of SNA or SAN, I think the 'wildcard' should be SJC instead. Sounds like a viable port for a 359.

(Well, 'instead' CX went for a 3rd daily SFO, no complaints there.)
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Instead of SNA or SAN, I think the 'wildcard' should be SJC instead. Sounds like a viable port for a 359.
AA used to fly SJC-TPE for a couple of years I think. CI will start TPE-ONT using 77W on 25MAR.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
What will be the lounge arrangement at IAD? The oneworld website indicates the BA lounge closes at 10.30pm.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by danger
What will be the lounge arrangement at IAD? The oneworld website indicates the BA lounge closes at 10.30pm.
I reckon that won't be known for months, if not right before launch. No big deal BA closes then....we have a long ways to go. 9 months. If history is any guide, CX has historically used OW partner lounges for North American ports. LAX was a shared OW lounge between QF/CX, now it's QF. JFK was BA prior to moving to T7, where they're now AA. SFO was BA prior to CX building its own lounge. EWR and BOS both launched with BA lounge, and fyi both lounge hours were extended specifically for the CX latenight flights.

My money is on BA.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I reckon that won't be known for months, if not right before launch. No big deal BA closes then....we have a long ways to go. 9 months. If history is any guide, CX has historically used OW partner lounges for North American ports. LAX was a shared OW lounge between QF/CX, now it's QF. JFK was BA prior to moving to T7, where they're now AA. SFO was BA prior to CX building its own lounge. EWR and BOS both launched with BA lounge, and fyi both lounge hours were extended specifically for the CX latenight flights.

My money is on BA.
Any updates?
My guess is BA with extended hours on the day of the CX flight. Since the Business cabin is the highest cabin - I would guess it will be catered same as a Business lounge with buffet food. Would be nice if they used Eithad Lounge - but I doubt it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cova
Any updates?
My guess is BA with extended hours on the day of the CX flight. Since the Business cabin is the highest cabin - I would guess it will be catered same as a Business lounge with buffet food. Would be nice if they used Eithad Lounge - but I doubt it.
according to the CX website, it still hasn't been announced. Others may know what CX is thinking beforehand though.

Cathay Lounges in Americas

Of course, the facts lean heavily in favor of BA. 3/6 of CX's current USA departures use the BA lounge (BOS, ORD, EWR). And previously, 5/6 have used the BA lounge (@JFK, used BA until CX moved to AA terminal. And @ sfo, CX used BA until they built their own CX lounge in 2011).

The final exception is LAX, which is currently the Qantas lounge. And previously CX used the OneWorld lounge before the TBIT retrofit. For as long as I've been flying CX to LAX (over a decade), there never has been a BA lounge to use at LAX so.....the only case where CX didn't use BA is the one USA airport without a BA lounge!

So anyway my money is strongly on BA.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The final exception is LAX, which is currently the Qantas lounge. And previously CX used the OneWorld lounge before the TBIT retrofit. For as long as I've been flying CX to LAX (over a decade), there never has been a BA lounge to use at LAX so.....the only case where CX didn't use BA is the one USA airport without a BA lounge!
Just being a pedant, but the J lounge currently used at TBIT is the "oneworld" lounge (but basically run by Qantas). The First lounge is the Qantas lounge.

Prior to the opening of these lounges, Cathay had their own lounge for their flights, but it was basically a lounge where they changed the sign, so at other times, other airlines had their sign on the door. At that time there was also a joint QF/BA lounge in TBIT, which closed a bit earlier than the second LAX evening flight.

I can't remember what lounges there were during the interim period when everything was under renovation.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by cova
Any updates?
Confirmed to be BA lounge with extended hours, no buffet.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Confirmed to be BA lounge with extended hours, no buffet.
British Airways does a buffet - so I guess if you get to the lounge early (say 21:30pm) you could get BA food. BA Lounge normally closes at 22:30 at IAD.

The CX flight departs at 1:20AM, so I guess CX takes over when the BA lounge closes at 22:30. Since CX is OW, OW J passengers and OW Sapphire and Emerald should be able to get in early. I don't think the lounge is restricted until CX takes control.

For Priority Pass - the Turkish Airlines lounge is another option - open until 23:00. The BA lounge is open to PP, but only until 14:00 daily. And PP has no food service. Only when BA takes over at 14:00 does food service begin.

I guess CX figures that since the flight is so late - no need to serve food at the lounge. I assume they would still serve food on the flight after take off. So not much of an airport experience for this flight.

Last edited by cova; Jun 10, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:00 am

according to the CX website, it still hasn't been announced. Others may know what CX is thinking beforehand though.

Cathay Lounges in Americas

Of course, the facts lean heavily in favor of BA. 3/6 of CX's current USA departures use the BA lounge (BOS, ORD, EWR). And previously, 5/6 have used the BA lounge (@JFK, used BA until CX moved to AA terminal. And @ sfo, CX used BA until they built their own CX lounge in 2011).

So anyway my money is strongly on BA.
The Qantas lounge at LAX is owned by BA and CX as well but run by Qantas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.