Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Any chance of a same day change on CX (125 ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver

I realise that this is probably a big shout, but I was wondering if CX allowed same day changes on short flights without charge. My late afternoon meeting has been cancelled in Taipei on Monday but my flight to HKG is not until 20:15, connecting onto BA32 back to LHR.

Not a massive problem if not, but if I could get to HKG a bit earlier that would be ideal.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Cash or redemption?

At Taipei they may let you go earlier but if it's redemption they may be less willing. If it's on a BA flight code that's an extra hurdle if revenue. No harm asking, I would assume nothing.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, CWS. it s a cash fare, so maybe worth turning up for the earlier one? Like I said, no harm if it doesn’t work out.
Does the fact it’s a TA booking make a difference?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I've done this once, but was told that it wouldn't be allowed on a 125-plated ticket normally, except that I was doing them by getting off a fuller flight and onto an emptier one (and even that one was so full that it got me an op-up!)

So I'd certainly ask, but wouldn't expect it.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Thanks, CWS. it s a cash fare, so maybe worth turning up for the earlier one? Like I said, no harm if it doesn’t work out.
Does the fact it’s a TA booking make a difference?
If it's TA I would in the first instance check if the TA will do it, if you wanted certainty. Many of CX's fares are fairly flexible. But otherwise just ask at check-in.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks, both - that’s really helpful.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
The best tactic is to check in, go in to the horrendous lounge and let them know you are ready to go. Has always worked for me.At checkin they may check fare but once in lounge it's about getting you gone.
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I've also managed this once on a BA Avios redemption booking when at the lounge in Incheon. I suggested the change so as to avoid a 4 hour wait in the lounge and to get onto a plane to HK with long-haul configured seats. The lounge agent were more than happy to oblige after a brief discussion with the station manager. When I checked the loads, I could see that my original flight was fully booked in J, whilst the earlier flight was wide open. So, YMMV.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I lost my lounge access at the end of October and am on an M fare for that sector, so will just have to give it a go at check-in.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I've been offered an earlier flight on CX ICN-HKG at the lounge on a 125 issued Avios redemption. I didn't even ask for it.
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Best of luck. Hope you manage to get it changed.

S
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Best of luck. Hope you manage to get it changed.

S
Thanks! I’ll keep you posted.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Staff at TPE tends to be quite strict for such changes. They have so many flights to HKG, that it gets very messy if they keep changing non-changeable tickets.

Your hope is if that CX531 is quite full and they might need your seat. Actually, the load for Monday 18 looks quite high so you might have a chance.
Note that your connection in HKG is quite short, and the evening flights tend to have a 30min delay. It might be wise to try to get on an earlier flight. The counter will have some indication of delay if the plane is late departing from HKG, so they might be receptive. There are four CX flight between 5:45 and 7:35pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Staff at TPE tends to be quite strict for such changes. They have so many flights to HKG, that it gets very messy if they keep changing non-changeable tickets.

Your hope is if that CX531 is quite full and they might need your seat. Actually, the load for Monday 18 looks quite high so you might have a chance.
Note that your connection in HKG is quite short, and the evening flights tend to have a 30min delay. It might be wise to try to get on an earlier flight. The counter will have some indication of delay if the plane is late departing from HKG, so they might be receptive. There are four CX flight between 5:45 and 7:35pm
This is great advice, thanks. I'm assuming I should OLCI as usual for my original flight.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by brunos
This is true, but a lot of them are incredibly busy and often oversold so sometimes it can do them a favour if you offer to move. In this case they will be amenable so yes do ask... but expect a no. There's a few nice enough coffee places in TPE if you need to hang around a while.
Cymro and gustavmahler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.