Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Booked ticket middle name and last name reversed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Hi all,
had booked my friend a ticket threw gotogate.com to Thailand but i had put his last name in the first name column and middle name in the first name column. I called gotogate to make the change in the name, first off gotogate customer service is the worst. I was on hold over a hour waiting for a rep and when they finally got on they said there's nothing they can do about it. I called cathay and they said the travel agency would have to correct this and they won't be able to. He's currently active in the military and unable to call them directly so i have been back and forth emailing and calling gotogate for assistance. I was able to update his passport information correctly on the itinerary though. Do you think this will be a major problem?

Last edited by Complex30; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:08 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:06 am

It likely won't be an issue. Don't worry too much. See if he can online check in and print boarding pass so there is minimum interaction with humans at the airport.
timesnaps likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Complex30. Please follow the redirect as we send this to the CX forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This will not be an issue at check-in; no reason to waste more time on this now. This happens all the time and the airlines are used to deal with it (if it will ever get noticed).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Would likely not be a problem if you simply swapped first and last name.
But you post is very unclear (probably a typo) as you claim to have put both last and middle names in first name column.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

sorry i had meant to say that i had put his middle name instead of his first name in the last name box and the last name in the first box
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Complex30
Hi all,
had booked my friend a ticket threw gotogate.com to Thailand but i had put his last name in the first name column and middle name in the first name column. I called gotogate to make the change in the name, first off gotogate customer service is the worst. I was on hold over a hour waiting for a rep and when they finally got on they said there's nothing they can do about it. I called cathay and they said the travel agency would have to correct this and they won't be able to. He's currently active in the military and unable to call them directly so i have been back and forth emailing and calling gotogate for assistance. I was able to update his passport information correctly on the itinerary though. Do you think this will be a major problem?
I beg to differ and must say that, at least per the rule, this is not okay at all. Whether airport agents will notice, I can't be sure. Usually if it were a complete swap of given name and family name, airlines will allow you to change, but your case is a bit different. If your TA is not helpful and CX call centre insists that your TA changes it, my only advice is to go to the airport early (on day of travel) and ask the ticket counter to change it. This however really depends on which airport your friend is departing from. I hope the ticket only has CX segments.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. He is leaving from JFK with a layover in HKG. I’m really hoping this issues won’t be to troublesome as the TA still has not got back to me even after I submitted his correct passport information.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Complex30
Thank you for the response. He is leaving from JFK with a layover in HKG. I’m really hoping this issues won’t be to troublesome as the TA still has not got back to me even after I submitted his correct passport information.
There used to be a CX ticketing desk at JFK staffed by BA when CX was in T7. Not sure if there is still one now that CX has moved to T8, but with 4 flights a day, I would think there is one. Go to the airport early.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:12 pm

should be ok , I did few times by mistake , they were able to fix it as it obvious honest mistake
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:44 am

Second that, minimal interactions with humans may be helpful in that case! Good thing its not Ryanair.... (hefty change fees await in that case)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.