Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Question/s about Marco Polo Club green renewal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster

I understand that there is a fee to join Marco Polo Club (US 50?) and that supposedly it is a yearly fee. Question - if not pay for renewal, does one get kicked out? Or just stay at green level?

Reason for thinking of joining (not me, someone else) is that it seems that Marco Polo members get assigned a seat when booking cheap economy class tickets which one can change when doing OLCI.

Thank you.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
The joining fee is now 100usd or some 20 club points for renewal.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
On my KIX-HKG flight (last weekend) the cabin crew were actively going through the J cabin, looking at the pax list and offering MPC application forms. GR fee waived.

I took my AM number off the booking (as I've requalified already) and the FP came over and asked me why I wasn't a AM member ... then showed me the form and said I could get GR for free by filling in the form ...

I then told her I was a DM and didn't need that form. Should have taken a photo of it.

I saw maybe 3-4 people filling in the form on the flight.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Wow USD 100!
Do they really make you pay a renewal fee if you fail to renew even green?

If they give out Marco Polo for free in J class, maybe I can get a form for my friend!?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Got offered Gold status by email for free, just over a month ago, after 3 returns and an outbound in J.
Initially, I did sign-up for AM only, because for J flying, the MPC status is as good as useless for me, unless I would reach DM (which is not going to happen).
All, flying on el-cheapo I-Tickets AMS-HKG-BKK, "spending" south of EUR 7K in total ......

Looks to me, CX found out they made major blunders with their MPC revamp.....

Last edited by Cambo; Nov 26, 2017 at 9:17 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Question - if not pay for renewal, does one get kicked out?
Yes. CX is seriously doing this now.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:01 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I've been kicked for a second time early this month
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I've been kicked for a second time early this month
Hi, same here.
And there were no free MPC forms on my CX561 J class.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Little frustrated with the way they handled all these changes.. I stopped crediting to MPC because there was no way I was going to even going to make GR renewal at 100 points this year, as of Dec 8th it's only 20 needed and I have 10. My renewal is Dec 30th. So would need 10 more between the 8th and 30th with no plans to fly this year for the holidays..
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by eyeballer
Little frustrated with the way they handled all these changes.. I stopped crediting to MPC because there was no way I was going to even going to make GR renewal at 100 points this year, as of Dec 8th it's only 20 needed and I have 10. My renewal is Dec 30th. So would need 10 more between the 8th and 30th with no plans to fly this year for the holidays..
Not even flying domestically?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Not even flying domestically?
Not this year.. we're hosting. The only benefit I like about GR is the priority check-in line - saves waiting around with our 2yo when he's eager to go see the planes! Debating just paying the $100 if they kick me out.. or finding a cheap AA same-day RT out of NYC to get the 10 points.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Was renewed at 20 before the change announced (mid-year), didn't expect then but the change might have explained. Don't know if they renew at 10, would like to know.

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Reason for thinking of joining (not me, someone else) is that it seems that Marco Polo members get assigned a seat when booking cheap economy class tickets which one can change when doing OLCI.
I'd consider this as a more material benefit than the published (checkin & boarding), gave me decent seat and hassle-free OLCI. Might make me do a cheap TPE/mainland trip just to renew.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
I got renewed at 0 points twice since the changes. Was a surprise to me too.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Marco Polo, Sky Pearl Club, Fortune Wings, Miles & Smiles, Privilege Club, Aeroflot Bonus
Mine also got renewed for free at 0 points last year... Now I'm on 15 points and renewal is approaching, and I don't have any CX/KA flights soon...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:40 am

I got renewed with only 10 CPs, renewal date for me was 1/1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.