Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is there any "trick" to finding slightly cheaper one-way J or F fares to Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any "trick" to finding slightly cheaper one-way J or F fares to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by kaka
i can only tolerate JL if i dont fly CX (unless price is a concern, which it sometimes is given my travel patterns)
but jl guarantees dayflights, pretty much. But they dont issue ex hkg europe tickets.

Which is perhaps why I mentioned QR... not JL.
Cathay simply will never match the quality of service, both hard and soft of QR.
Decades ahead of CX's offering.

To be fair, I even had the opportunity to fly Eva J to North America recently.. something I thought I'd never be inclined to do.
Their products out strips CX.

It bothers me to no end, that i'm based in CX's home city and now I seek connections over non stop as their product is subpar.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Thanks. Yea I looked at miles, but two J seats aren't available for the days I prefer. Definitely if I found those seats I would've just booked them. We're of the same mind here!
If D/I are available, I reckon that you have a good shot at getting 2 award seats released. Especially as it's a 'non-prime' flight.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Which is perhaps why I mentioned QR... not JL.
Cathay simply will never match the quality of service, both hard and soft of QR.
Decades ahead of CX's offering.

To be fair, I even had the opportunity to fly Eva J to North America recently.. something I thought I'd never be inclined to do.
Their products out strips CX.

It bothers me to no end, that i'm based in CX's home city and now I seek connections over non stop as their product is subpar.
So you mean qr is better than jl? Lol
perhaps, since jl installed some coffin style seats for regional travel.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:26 am

In the past, I have booked a RT that was cheaper than one way, and set up my return for 330ish days in the future. If over the course of time a schedule change occurs and provides me the possibility of change/refund, I may save even more than the original savings
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by kaka
So you mean qr is better than jl? Lol
perhaps, since jl installed some coffin style seats for regional travel.

YES.. QR is 1 Million Billion times better than JL.

If you need to ask that, you're lying about any QR experience.

JAL is almost worse than CX..

JAL operates a regional seat from Tokyo to Vancouver.

JAL is absolute bollocks.

It's like you've lost grasp on the current climate of airlines. Christ.. Thai is better than JAL.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: *G (Aegean); AF/KL Silver; BA Bronze; Amex Platinum, Priority Pass.
Have you tried making the booking as an open jaw, i.e., HKG-DXB-CDG? I've had the EK booking engine spit out some interesting Y fares using this method in the past.

Alternatively, maybe try to book with a double open jaw return as long in the future as possible on a route which you might fly, e.g., HKG-CDG-[AXX]-[BXX]. That way you get the benefit of a return price construction on your Paris trip, with an additional one way which might be usable. If for whatever reason you don't end up using the 'return' leg, you can discard it.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
YES.. QR is 1 Million Billion times better than JL.

If you need to ask that, you're lying about any QR experience.

JAL is almost worse than CX..

JAL operates a regional seat from Tokyo to Vancouver.

JAL is absolute bollocks.

It's like you've lost grasp on the current climate of airlines. Christ.. Thai is better than JAL.
lol

Yeah why not. Qatar is a good airline.
their food smells a bit weird cuz of their sourcing problem. And their service. Lol. And some of their crew is only suitable for cx y service. not to mention most of the food in their lounge is underwhelming.

you’ve tried getting a shower in doha right? Its as clean as a hostel. Filthy.

Shochu was spilled on my flight and crew was helping to clean up my shoes. Try that on qr.

only if tg stops their tg roulette.

and op is going to cdg. I just came back on a regional flat bed on jal. And cdg uses flatbed non regional.

Last edited by kaka; Nov 26, 2017 at 10:22 am
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ALL Gold
*edit* nevermind, saw that OP couldn't find award space for the dates he wanted. Please ignore, sorry.

How about buying Alaska Airlines miles (currently 40% bonus), then using that to book a one-way CX F ticket for 70,000 miles (would cost you around 1400 USD).

Could also buy a J ticket for 42,500 miles and that would cost you around 950 USD.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by jhneoh
How about buying Alaska Airlines miles (currently 40% bonus), then using that to book a one-way CX F ticket for 70,000 miles (would cost you around 1400 USD).

Could also buy a J ticket for 42,500 miles and that would cost you around 950 USD.
You need availability in U or Z class. Such availability is very hard to come by especially when booking with partner miles as CX gives preference to its own members.

You'll need to be retired, not working and be very flexible (or one of the former) in order to take advantage of this as you may have to book your trip with very little notice and fly.

If you are the type of person who likes to plan tours, book hotels etc. in advance and have a solid itinerary, these are not very suitable.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
You need availability in U or Z class. Such availability is very hard to come by especially when booking with partner miles as CX gives preference to its own members.

You'll need to be retired, not working and be very flexible (or one of the former) in order to take advantage of this as you may have to book your trip with very little notice and fly.

If you are the type of person who likes to plan tours, book hotels etc. in advance and have a solid itinerary, these are not very suitable.
Noted. I just redeemed Alaska miles on JL without too much issue, didn't realise CX was that much harder.

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Just to add to my last post, I totally agree with the folks saying QR J over EK. All the QR planes in J seem to have flat beds yet. As I understand it, EK has a slanted bed on some of the planes in J, including their morning flight ex-HKG. Not a fan of slopey beds. On EK I find F class is usually reasonably priced for the less expensive F, and that's what my comparison is here essentially...EK F vs CX J. I've done EK F a number of times and although it's quite blingy, it's still very good. Its weakness IMO is the narrow bed and inferior bedding to CX F, but that's far less relevant to me on a day flight, especially since my other option is CX J.

Anyway thanks for all the advice. I really was just thrown off by CX's one way pricing. It seems like an obvious weakness. EK and QR both have "not crazy" one way fares, I book them with some regularity. True they're higher than round trips, but CX has nothing to compete with that. 67k one way in CX J is just a laughable price quote to Europe given all the competition! I pay up for CX's fares to North America because we really don't have a choice. But I'm certainly not a up for CX's product... it just feels like highway robbery given how many options to Europe there are, and how inferior CX'S J class soft product has become.
The QR Q-Suites are absolutely fantastic but will only fly to select destinations. Service and meals are also top notch so I would highly recommend them.

Like other posters have mentioned, just book a round trip and consider not flying the return leg. You could say it falls into a "grey area" but then again so does an airline overbooking.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There’s currently a QR 48 hour sale to Paris for $18,750. I’m pretty sure this price erases any grey areas.
kawaii likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.