FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Diamond Plus being discontinued? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1878327-diamond-plus-being-discontinued.html)

jjones Nov 19, 2017 3:10 am

Diamond Plus being discontinued?

Dear FTs

I've recently crossed the 2M mile mark and noticed on the mobile app that my status was shows as being "upgraded to DMP", or something along the lines.

I expected the "upgrade" to take place during my month of renewal. I noticed, however, that the message disappeared a week later and contacted the Marco Polo team and sent them a screenshot. I was then informed that DMP is no longer given and is obsolete by the MPC and what I saw was a bug no the app !

This was from the CS team in HK. Was I given some BS answer? Not sure why they would give and then take this and not sure if it is even worth my time. I am already PPS QR Platinum and Gold with 2 other airlines so keeping things up is difficult....my loyalty with CX is shifting...or perhaps they already know? :)

Would love to get some insights and experience on this.

Regards

christep Nov 19, 2017 3:28 am

DM Plus is (or perhaps was?) based on spend, not miles. The criterion was "top 1% of DMs by revenue".

sscywong Nov 19, 2017 9:11 am

If you get DMP simply because you crossed the lifetime 2M miles mark then yes very likely it's a bug. DMP is the top few % of the DM by spending, so lifetime miles means nothing (actually that really means nothing in MPC...)

But if you tell me you cross the 2M miles mark in one year time... You really should call again and ask again...

cxfan1960 Nov 19, 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 29076953)
DM Plus is (or perhaps was?) based on spend, not miles. The criterion was "top 5% of DMs by revenue".

I thought it was for the top 1% of DM. Was that changed?

christep Nov 19, 2017 11:09 am

Sorry - yes, you're right 5% would be far too many people. 1% of DMs is still a few hundred.

hl176 Nov 19, 2017 11:53 am

Well I mean once, the CX website displayed this when I logged into my account :D

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b69f71adfc.png

mxr Nov 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by hl176 (Post 29078166)
Well I mean once, the CX website displayed this when I logged into my account :D

happened to me so many times already. I think OP just encountered a bug :)

sxc Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

The bigger story is - has Diamond Plus been discontinued?

CX HK Nov 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by sscywong (Post 29077636)
If you get DMP simply because you crossed the lifetime 2M miles mark then yes very likely it's a bug. DMP is the top few % of the DM by spending, so lifetime miles means nothing (actually that really means nothing in MPC...)

But if you tell me you cross the 2M miles mark in one year time... You really should call again and ask again...

That's a good point... was this your 2 millionth mile of 2017 / your membership year?

Neat0 Nov 20, 2017 5:06 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 29078930)

Not as of mid-year 2017. Colleague just hit, but was informed in-flight by the ISM with a hand-written card. Nice gesture.

jjones Nov 20, 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 29078930)

This is exactly what triggered my curiousity... yes according the CS staff that called but I don't quire trust her statement. She might just not know enough.

An no - I clocked 2M after many years. Don't know how one could do 2M in a single year ! :)

Regards

Ausriver Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm

2 million miles doesn't seems possible in one year. I think it take an FA few years to hit that mark.

LoveHateRelationship Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver (Post 29082609)
2 million miles doesn't seems possible in one year. I think it take an FA few years to hit that mark.

You'd basically need to live at the airport. My off the cuff math says it's about say 4000 hours of flying (taking into account take offs, landings, climbs etc) which works out to about 170 days. I suppose there's two ways of doing this. You either concentrate your flying for more than half the year or you fly every day and leave no more than 12 hours at an airport before getting on the next plane.

CX HK Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship (Post 29082860)
You'd basically need to live at the airport. My off the cuff math says it's about say 4000 hours of flying (taking into account take offs, landings, climbs etc) which works out to about 170 days. I suppose there's two ways of doing this. You either concentrate your flying for more than half the year or you fly every day and leave no more than 12 hours at an airport before getting on the next plane.

Wasn't there a guy - Tom Stuker (FTer) - who once had something like 25 consecutive meals on an airplane? But even he never hit 2m miles per year I believe.

TravelwhileyouEat Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 29083207)
Wasn't there a guy - Tom Stuker (FTer) - who once had something like 25 consecutive meals on an airplane? But even he never hit 2m miles per year I believe.

Well one could theoretically take round trip returns between two cities consecutively, say Hong Kong - New York (which is around 8,000 miles) and they'll just need roughly 125 round trips to reach 2,000,000 base miles, if they fly F or J it would be faster to reach it.