Diamond Plus being discontinued?

Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:32 am

Smile

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Well one could theoretically take round trip returns between two cities consecutively, say Hong Kong - New York (which is around 8,000 miles) and they'll just need roughly 125 round trips to reach 2,000,000 base miles, if they fly F or J it would be faster to reach it.
Ya, You may count the hours he needs to be in the sky. Simple math.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
You'd basically need to live at the airport. My off the cuff math says it's about say 4000 hours of flying (taking into account take offs, landings, climbs etc) which works out to about 170 days. I suppose there's two ways of doing this. You either concentrate your flying for more than half the year or you fly every day and leave no more than 12 hours at an airport before getting on the next plane.
Well, if you put it this way. It seems to be possible... However, I guess no one would really do it. I can't really think of a work that you need to travel that much, with half time of the time in the air and half of the time on the land only.

By the way, in real world, what is the highest actual mile one person would fly? half a million?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:32 am

What is the number of diamond members - is this published anywhere? And will this have dropped post changes?

How does this number compare to say BA Gold?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Flyweight
What is the number of diamond members - is this published anywhere? And will this have dropped post changes?

I'm thinking of around 50K CX DMs...
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I'd be very surprised if there were that many. In 2004 (a long time ago I know) I was told by the MPC Manager at one of the CX DM Events that there were then about 6000 Diamonds, of whom about 3500 were based in HK, and about half of those 3500 were expats.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

I originally thought it was around 10-20k. But seeing Ausriver's comment below, I'm not sure.

Curious how you get there?

Not saying you're wrong...one of the dumber things of MPC is every time I ask the guys, they refuse to tell me and act like it's a state secret.

The fact they are so bottled up about it tells me it's not too exclusive. I actually find their attitude around it to be rather off-putting. I'm the customer and it just feels weird to me, if they're inviting us to these "exclusive" events but then don't feel comfortable to have a frank conversation with us.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Last month on 881, the SP told me total DM 20K+, DM+ 270+. Right around what people say here about 1%. There were 8 DMs on that particular flight.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
A bit off topic but I wonder if it's theoretically possible to reach DM+ without reaching DM by buying the most expensive F fares that earn low club points because of the earning structure. It would be ironic if someone spends say $200,000 but doesn't make it to DM+ or at least DM.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
A bit off topic but I wonder if it's theoretically possible to reach DM+ without reaching DM by buying the most expensive F fares that earn low club points because of the earning structure. It would be ironic if someone spends say $200,000 but doesn't make it to DM+ or at least DM.
Theoretically possible, although you'd have to be flying full F round trips to North America only, and you'd have to be "lucky" in choosing certain times when full F fares spike to 30k USD round trip like CNY, Xmas and the Chinese National Day holiday in October. But none of the Europe destinations, including LHR would work....they're way too "inexpensive" relatively speaking. You'd hit DM first if buying Europe tix.

Another way perhaps is solely buy one way full F tickets to the USA during the crazy periods I mention above. But same idea. I think the most I've seen those is 15-17k one way.

The only exception is perhaps nuanced....I wonder if they privately lump in CX metal tix you purchase on your PNR with others. Like if you bought 3x round trips at 25k each USA to HKG, but each time brought your wife on your itinerary and you paid for both tickets together on the same PMR. So you really bought 6x round trip F tix. I don't know how rigid they are with DM+ determinations. So the underlying pax would only qualify for GO at best (and starting from scratch, wouldn't even make it to GO yet). But he would've spent 150k directly on CX in that year albeit half was his wife.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Last year I was told 30K. I know several DM+ and I can't believe that there are only 300 (1%).
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Somewhat off tangent question - does anything happen at 1 million miles? I looked at my account today and realised I must have hit that a few weeks back. Nothing seemed to happen.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Somewhat off tangent question - does anything happen at 1 million miles? I looked at my account today and realised I must have hit that a few weeks back. Nothing seemed to happen.
Comprehensive thread here: Club Miles Milestone
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:23 am
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
Originally Posted by fairhsa
A friend of mine recently hit 2 million. He got a letter congratulating him and a designer-type bag to hold toiletries, I seem to recall (he posted a picture of these on FB)
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
2 million miles doesn't seems possible in one year. I think it take an FA few years to hit that mark.
This year i do 500k miles and think it's too much. cant imagine 2m.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:43 pm

Couldn't you hit the requirements for DM+ while being GR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.