Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Full-fare C ticket / involuntary downgrade / no reason, no comp / CX829 YYZ-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full-fare C ticket / involuntary downgrade / no reason, no comp / CX829 YYZ-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I'm pretty shocked at this situation. I'm not a lawyer but that's just blatantly stealing money from the customer.

They also have clearly very limited protocol with offloading passengers. In another thread perhaps 6+ months ago, recall we saw a CX Diamond member whom CX tried to IDB from J class ex-EWR. And here you've got CX essentially doing IDB from class of service (via invol downgrade) to what amounts to a high-yielding J class pax. Dumb. There are 40 seats on 77G...certainly they could've figured out SOMEONE else to choose. Say 20/40 are CX elites that leaves 20 others to choose from. I think there is a nearly 0% probability that all the rest of the passengers were on equally expensive tickets.

And then to not even offer the actual fare difference. That's shameless.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, SPG GO
Originally Posted by QRC3288
There are 40 seats on 77G...certainly they could've figured out SOMEONE else to choose. Say 20/40 are CX elites that leaves 20 others to choose from. I think there is a nearly 0% probability that all the rest of the passengers were on equally expensive tickets.
Christep - not my card. Corporate travel desk paid - it's escalating via that channel.

QRC - Partner verified with outport manager that yes, there were cheaper fare class tickets on the flight, and yes, there were people who checked in afterwards. He could provide no explanation as to why, if the above two variables were true, that my partner got bumped.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by Neat0
Christep - not my card. Corporate travel desk paid - it's escalating via that channel.

QRC - Partner verified with outport manager that yes, there were cheaper fare class tickets on the flight, and yes, there were people who checked in afterwards. He could provide no explanation as to why, if the above two variables were true, that my partner got bumped.
As I have told you before, which you think i'm impolite, is that the priority of offload depends on (1) the pax's status followed by (2) seq of check-in. "Fare" paid is not too relevant.

Your SO could not complete OLCI because your SO didn't select in advance, which made your SO didn't even have a sequence in the system.

On the other hand, other pax already had an assigned seat, they can do OLCI, therefore they were sequenced in the system. Other pax may turn up later then your SO in the airport, hence "check-in" later than your SO. They could broad the plane as they had a seat and were checked in. Therefore I always emphasis select a seat in advance is very important.

Yet, there are still cases CX will take away your selected seats to accommodate other pax, like status pax, VIPs, staff on duty travel or whatever other reasons.

All in all, I strongly agree you are entitled a refund for the downgrade with relevant compensation, eg upgrade voucher and miles. Hope CX can give you something that satisfy you.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neat0
Update: CX CSR has contacted me (not my partner who actually flew), unsurprisingly, via a canned email. "We'll get back to you in 14 working days."

Service indeed.
I don't think anybody's ever given CX accolades for ground service.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't think anybody's ever given CX accolades for ground service.
umm..when things go turtle, like a typhoon or other irrops, it's CX's ground service - the getting it done, rather than the frilly stuff, that I and a few other CX frequent fliers that I know, really value!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by jagmeets
umm..when things go turtle, like a typhoon or other irrops, it's CX's ground service - the getting it done, rather than the frilly stuff, that I and a few other CX frequent fliers that I know, really value!
I would agree with that. My experience is getting a bit dated now, but having DM status when things went pear-shaped was one of the best benefits of the status.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by neofung
As I have told you before, which you think i'm impolite, is that the priority of offload depends on (1) the pax's status followed by (2) seq of check-in. "Fare" paid is not too relevant.

Your SO could not complete OLCI because your SO didn't select in advance, which made your SO didn't even have a sequence in the system.

On the other hand, other pax already had an assigned seat, they can do OLCI, therefore they were sequenced in the system. Other pax may turn up later then your SO in the airport, hence "check-in" later than your SO. They could broad the plane as they had a seat and were checked in. Therefore I always emphasis select a seat in advance is very important.

Yet, there are still cases CX will take away your selected seats to accommodate other pax, like status pax, VIPs, staff on duty travel or whatever other reasons.
I definitely learned something new here! Very informative.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, SPG GO
Originally Posted by neofung
i'm impolite
Yup, you are.

Do you work for CX? You seem to be awfully confident in your knowledge of their inner workings. If you do work for CX, great; just come out and say it and let's have a face to face conversation in HKG.

I don't find your responses helpful, as you've repeatedly ignored posted facts to get your internet wins in.

Outport manager confirmed verbally that there were check in AFTER my partner's, as well as non-status pax in the J cabin.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Okay everyone calm down.
@Neat0 - the fact is that we don't know how or why people are chosen for downgrade. Unfortunately it happens. Ranting on this forum and at other members isn't going to help you get your money back.

As for compensation, CX has not handled this well. You are NOT going to get a calculation of fare difference at the check-in desk. However, they could have been more gracious in explaining how the reimbursement of fare difference would be done (ie that you can contact customer service after the fact for resolution) and also offered better goodwill compensation on the spot. Usually they will seek out downgrade volunteers and offer them compensation to encourage downgrades. Or given you alternatives for how to travel - eg you could choose to travel the next flight in your ticketed class. Don't know why this didn't happen in this case.

At this point, as you have been advised here, calculate what you think is owed and make a claim to CX. Keep to the facts, don't muddy the waters with claims for distress - it doesn't help your case. Just calculate the amount you think you should get and also ask for goodwill compensation for your inconvenience such as an upgrade voucher for a future flight.

(If you do get an upgrade voucher, be aware these can only be used based on availability on check-in)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by percysmith
I've updated the screenshot in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29074426 . (81,300-38,510)/2 = HK$21,395 to be refunded

Just to validate my screenshot, OP SO's fare = (63,290(C) + 81,300(J))/2 = HK$72,295 <-- $5 off what OP reported

The approx 10 days OP stated should be close as I'm able to reverse engineer his fare. OP can claim $21,395 and wait for CX to make an exact calculation, so long as it is materially similar to $21,395.
However, on the ticket the fares weren't the same in both directions. OP's SO had a C fare outbound and J for the return, which was when the downgrade occurred. Using the total ticket price divided by two understates what CX should pay as a refund.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, on the ticket the fares weren't the same in both directions. OP's SO had a C fare outbound and J for the return, which was when the downgrade occurred. Using the total ticket price divided by two understates what CX should pay as a refund.
You are correct. In fact, I have my doubt about percysmith's calculation at first.

Still, percysmith's calculation is still usable in this case. Airline maths is not your usual math. So using percysmith's calculation with what you have pointed out, it would be logically, excluding any goodwill compensation, OP's SO should receive MORE than what percysmith pointed out. Otherwise, CX has lowballed OP's SO.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I believe that percysmith did the correct calculation and that you misread his post.
First, he showed us how the whole ticket was priced as a mix of C and J return fare.
Second,he showed us the fare difference by taking half of the return J fare (not of the whole ticket price) minus half of the return W PE fare. That is exactly what you are claiming one should do.

The only question is whether we should use the W or the R fare for PE. Also CX might use a different one-segment pricing from Canada.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by brunos
The only question is whether we should use the W or the R fare for PE.
W mostly. Given how close the ticket was issued before departure, it would be lucky if OP can find R.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by brunos
I believe that percysmith did the correct calculation and that you misread his post.
First, he showed us how the whole ticket was priced as a mix of C and J return fare.
Second,he showed us the fare difference by taking half of the return J fare (not of the whole ticket price) minus half of the return W PE fare. That is exactly what you are claiming one should do.

The only question is whether we should use the W or the R fare for PE. Also CX might use a different one-segment pricing from Canada.
Vaguely recall reading on here that CX's compensation on cash revenue tickets is the difference between full flex oneway fares on the sector.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
On a related issue.
What is CX policy for such refund if ticket is paid by a company?
Does CX refund the company who paid for the ticket or the pax? Airlines have different policies for such downgrades.
In the former case, it would really be a refund (plus a possible compensation for the pax). In the later case if would be a compensation to the pax.

Note that EC261 is clear and simple regarding the amount of compensation for a downgrade, namely 75% of the ticket price (for longhaul) without a reference to a fare differential. Much easier to calculate and more money. However, some airlines pay it to the company who bought the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.