Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Full-fare C ticket / involuntary downgrade / no reason, no comp / CX829 YYZ-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full-fare C ticket / involuntary downgrade / no reason, no comp / CX829 YYZ-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by neofung
IIRC, no seat picked means cannot complete OLCI.
Woe betide the OWE who books as full J fare and logs their OWE number but doesn't select seats (e.g. if ticketed by another OW partner) if your assumptions are true.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 19, 2017 at 5:15 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Originally Posted by QRC3288
You say your partner is on "full freight C". Technically, full freight is J sub class not C.
I was thinking that when I first read this. J is usually more expensive than C, although different place of origin have different JCDI fare rules (you used to be able to check the HK ones, but nowadays they've taken it away. It seems to vary by the time of the year as well), it generally follows J>C>D>I with regard to price. D issued in Taipei (with TPE being port of origin) may come with free rebooking, while D issued for journeys that starts with HKG may charge you 1600 HKD for a rebooking. The days prior to the first leg being flown during which you are able to amend the dates, is even different for the same fare class, across different places of origin.

So in short, based on my experience, JCDI pricing and fare rules, differ:
1. based on port of embarkation
2. based on destination area
3. based on time of the year (would someone confirm this point for me, as well as how to check those fare rules for HKG departures. The one for TPE is like this.)

This part of the info may not be that relevant to the immediate problem OP is trying to solve, but C is definitely not full fare business class ticket. That is just technically incorrect. While I also don't understand "full freight", I think it is most helpful to provide it like "HKG-YVR, round-trip, fare class J, HKG".
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I think the OP may have been been using "C" in the "Club / BA" sense of "business class". He subsequently stated that the ticket cost in excess of HK$70,000. Surely that's full fare J? (Business Flex on the CX website currently prices at a maximum of HK$57,000 or so for HKG-YYZ-HKG.)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by christep
I think the OP may have been been using "C" in the "Club / BA" sense of "business class". He subsequently stated that the ticket cost in excess of HK$70,000. Surely that's full fare J? (Business Flex on the CX website currently prices at a maximum of HK$57,000 or so for HKG-YYZ-HKG.)
The fact that we are unsure about this reflects how important it is to share the proper fare class information. Percy san's expert flyer premium subscription screenshots used C to generate the information.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, SPG GO
CX826 HKG-YYZ 14NOV17
Booking status: confirmed
Class: Business (C)

CX829 YYZ-HKG 17NOV17
Class: Business (J)

Charges: $72,300.00 HKD
Taxes: $677.00 HKD

All boarding passes in hand. Anything else?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Not only that. The provable detail matters.
FWIW - regardless how unreasonable CX was in this case, OP should be reasonable in term of compensation, i.e. full refund is not possible. Having a reasonable number in mind helps the process.
Thank you for the legal perspective, Gary. All boarding passes, screenshots, tickets, invoices, etc are in hand. Details on fare classes (both C and J) are provided in the post above. This is not a "let's go extort CX" claim; we'd just like clarity on how/why this happened, and the "refund" owed plus "compensation" for loss of time and distress.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:59 am
Suspended

I think your course is clear: http://www.judiciary.hk/en/crt_servi...lt/html/sc.htm with a view to recovering about CAD4000, being a refund of the difference between what you paid (J) and full fare Premium Economy for YYZ-HKG.

If CX's Customer Relations were as good as they like to think they are then they would be reviewing this forum, would now have enough information to know without doubt who your SO is, would have realised that someone has messed up, and would be proactively contacting you tomorrow to arrange the refund and some token compensation. Sadly, the CX of 2017 is not the CX of 20+ years ago.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Look no offense ... "nitpickers" ... the devil's in the details here.
Thank you for taking the time to reply and your helpful comment. I've been reading these boards for years, and have seen the helpful (and occasional not-so-helpful) posts all around. I thought this case was clearly black/white with the airline in the wrong, and did not expect the storm of insinuation that my partner screwed up somehow, and it was a user error, and that this is a "crusade" against a common practice, and that I have my head up my rear for not reading fare classes.

The comment about nitpicking wasn't in response to garykung's comments, which are helpful as always. It was in response to the semantic difference between "refund" and "compensation," which to the non-expert flyer layman, are synonymous.

I've provided exact fare class and costs in a post above, and hope these serve a worthy sacrifice on the altar of the details gods!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Neat0
It was in response to the semantic difference between "refund" and "compensation," which to the non-expert flyer layman, are synonymous.
Really? I'm not a lawyer but the difference seems rather clear to me, and quite important in this case. There's no question that a refund of the fare difference is due. Any additional compensation for inconvenience, consequential costs, etc would be additional, and is more a matter of goodwill on CX's part.

Anyway, all is clear now. Good luck getting what at least what you are legally due!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
CX826 HKG-YYZ 14NOV17

CX829 YYZ-HKG 17NOV17

You probably may need to get a printout from EF to illustrate the fare difference.

Also - the difference in fare classes will make this a little bit complicated (different fare classes = different fare). It seems that your fare for YYZ-HKG segment was more expensive than the HKG-YYZ segment.

This is not a "let's go extort CX" claim; we'd just like clarity on how/why this happened, and the "refund" owed plus "compensation" for loss of time and distress.
No one says you are.

I think your course is clear: http://www.judiciary.hk/en/crt_servi...lt/html/sc.htm with a view to recovering about CAD4000, being a refund of the difference between what you paid (J) and full fare Premium Economy for YYZ-HKG.
I beg to differ.

Hong Kong's Small Claims process is quite complicated and useless (it has never been modernized). Assuming the worst (CX will fight all the way), OP's SO will require to appear in-person in Wan Chai for 3 times, not including the visit when the claim is filed.

On the contrary, Ontario's process is quite simple. First - you can file the claim online (service of process can be done by professional process server). Also - if OP's SO elects, OP's SO does not have to appear most of the time (a lawyer/paralegal's representation is allowed). Also keep in mind - OP's SO travel costs are allowable costs in Ontario.

If CX's Customer Relations were as good as they like to think they are then they would be reviewing this forum, would now have enough information to know without doubt who your SO is, would have realised that someone has messed up, and would be proactively contacting you tomorrow to arrange the refund and some token compensation.
If CX was really good in its job, I would have been banned on CX.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:50 pm

If CX was really good in its job, I would have been banned on CX.
What did you do Gary...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:16 pm

The comment about nitpicking wasn't in response to garykung's comments, which are helpful as always. It was in response to the semantic difference between "refund" and "compensation," which to the non-expert flyer layman, are synonymous.
Sorry

I was watching a Gresham Colleage lecture on Margaret Thatcher, and using the terminology we're certainly a "wet" bunch here. Any connotation on entitlement is pounced on.

You could've saved themselves some grief by stating "fare difference" in the original post.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:19 pm

CX826 HKG-YYZ 14NOV17

CX829 YYZ-HKG 17NOV17

Ticketing date pls
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:08 pm
Suspended

On the contrary, Ontario's process is quite simple. First - you can file the claim online (service of process can be done by professional process server). Also - if OP's SO elects, OP's SO does not have to appear most of the time (a lawyer/paralegal's representation is allowed). Also keep in mind - OP's SO travel costs are allowable costs in Ontario.
But on what grounds would Ontario have jurisdiction? The ticket was bought (and hence the contract formed) in HK in HK$ between two HK-based entities; the governing law would be HK's.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Ticketing date pls
And what was the flight date of the last leg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.