Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How flexible changing flights on award ticket at checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to use BA miles to book a CX J award ticket HKG-MNL. There is a 9am flight and the next is at 2:15pm. I think I can make the 9am flight (I will be arriving in SZX 5:40am and taking taxis to HKG - ferry doesn't run that early), but it will be tight. If I miss the 9am flight will CX re-accommodate me on next flight (the 2:15pm)? Or will they tell me to call BA and figure it out?

Alternatively I could book the 2:15pm flight and arrive for the 9am flight and ask CX checkin to put me on the 9am instead. Again, how likely is it CX will help?

Would greatly appreciate any similar experiences you care to share!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
CX will ask you to contact BA who ticketed this itinerary. Have a look at BA e-ticket terms on no-show for J redemption booking, as well as re-ticketing costs, as they will likely apply.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:55 pm

16.4. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward itinerary.

16.5. A fee as specified on Ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. Name changes are not permitted.

17.1. A fee as specified online at Ba.com will be charged if flight bookings for Reward travel are cancelled by the Member prior to departure. Provided a cancellation is made more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward itinerary, the Avios points charged for the Reward will be re-credited to the Member's account. Avios will not be refunded for partially flown bookings.

17.2. If flight bookings for Reward travel on British Airways or on flights operated by an Airline Partner are cancelled by the Member within 24 hours of departure, Avios points in respect of the Reward will not be re-credited to the Member. In the event a Member is prevented from travelling by an Event Beyond Your Control, such Member’s Avios points will be refunded provided that the Member has an unused Reward, has informed British Airways promptly, provided evidence of the event if requested to do so, and paid the applicable fee specified on Ba.com.

17.3. Failure to utilise a Reward flight i.e. "no show", will result in the airline's cancellation of any onward or return reservations and Avios points cannot be re-credited.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I suggest take the 2:15pm CX919 to MNL to be on the safe side, since you're flying J, you will be able to access any of 4 business class lounges of Cathay Pacific.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice all - I will avoid booking the 9am!

If I book the 2:15pm flight and show up early for the 9am flight, what are my chances CX will be nice and put me on the 9am?

Anybody tried something similar on a BA award ticket on CX metal?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:26 pm

That's a good question.

For Marco Polo Club Diamond members, flying in premium class revenue ticket, switching to earlier flight is subject to rebooking fees should it applies to booking subclass.

In your case, the terms and conditions does not allow it. But if you insist there, there is chance that they may do it for you, if SZX arrival is on-time. DYKWIA this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:58 pm

Assuming I'm willing to pay the rebooking fee, what are the rules on same day award (really companion) changes in terms of availability? Am I still subject to whatever is available to companion tickets or can I same day change/standby so long as there's availability in J?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Assuming I'm willing to pay the rebooking fee, what are the rules on same day award (really companion) changes in terms of availability? Am I still subject to whatever is available to companion tickets or can I same day change/standby so long as there's availability in J?
It's up to them - it's not really subject to anything you mention above, for better or worse. Even if there are J seats available, they definitely don't have to make them available to you. I recall a thread here a month or two ago about a partner award poster wondering why CX wouldn't release an F seat to him from another city, when an equipment swap on his original route nixed F and got him unfortunately downgraded to J. My point there and elsewhere is there are a lot of other factors - overbooking in Y and J being a big one, plus other irrops pax can't see - which means looking at Expert Flier and thinking it's the gospel will lead to disappointment.

All that being said, I think generally they'd make it available if the plane wasn't oversold aka the seat would fly empty. At that point companion availability is moot. Think you'd have a decent shot... PROVIDED your companion is in the flight you want to change to.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
All that being said, I think generally they'd make it available if the plane wasn't oversold aka the seat would fly empty. At that point companion availability is moot. Think you'd have a decent shot... PROVIDED your companion is in the flight you want to change to.
I suppose it doesn't really hurt to go earlier to see if there is a shot. If not, I'm only a 10 minute drive from the airport so not really huge loss there.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I don't understand what is a companion BAEC award.
But let's assume it is just a standard BAEC J award.
In theory, the BAEC ticket is nonchangeable in the 24 hours before the flight. But the flight is now under airport control and CX can do what they want. You must understand that this is not the USA and airlines tend to be quite strict about non-changeable tickets.But as QRC2388 said, many factors could come into play, including if you are OWE.

I do not really see why you go through all this trouble and hire an expensive private car for transfer. Arranging such a transfer is always a bit risky and your arriving flight could be delayed. Then you might hit early morning traffic, especially if your flight is delayed (remember that you will have to clear Chinese immigration upon arrival). On the other hand, the ferry takes less than an hour.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Im not saying you CANNOT but if you want to change an avios booking, that is a matter if CX wants you changed.

it had happened to me before (sometimes i brought up that id like to change) and sometimes no.

i would say its between luck and how much cx wants ur space

add: this morning went to the cx f desk in asile b w my f award hkgbkk at 1600 and gf’s avios j hkgbkk at1200
they said all flights are overbooked and i can only standby on all flights (im owe)but cannot confirm on her flight. I make a reservations earlier on 1000 but they wouldnt let me get it until the standby wait is over.
Gf on avios cannot change sh!t. (In the past we have changed avios bookings and been denied standbys when seats are available too, so ymmv.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
I don't understand what is a companion BAEC award.
But let's assume it is just a standard BAEC J award.
In theory, the BAEC ticket is nonchangeable in the 24 hours before the flight. But the flight is now under airport control and CX can do what they want. You must understand that this is not the USA and airlines tend to be quite strict about non-changeable tickets.But as QRC2388 said, many factors could come into play, including if you are OWE.

I do not really see why you go through all this trouble and hire an expensive private car for transfer. Arranging such a transfer is always a bit risky and your arriving flight could be delayed. Then you might hit early morning traffic, especially if your flight is delayed (remember that you will have to clear Chinese immigration upon arrival). On the other hand, the ferry takes less than an hour.
I should have specified that it's an AM Companion ticket, nothing to do with BAEC but I figured since the question was about changing flights on award tickets at checkin I'd ask in the same thread. I'm also talking about ex-YVR so it really is just a car ride to the airport minus maybe $4 in parking to ask so not really a big deal. As QRC2388 mentioned, it's up to the folks at check-in so I'll give it a go first thing in the morning. Worst they can do is say no.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA EC
For departures from Hong Kong, same day standby for an earlier flight is free of charge no matter you are holding a paid ticket or award ticket. Subject to availability, the ground agent will issue you the boarding pass well in advance (the earliest I tried was 11 hours before the new departure) or until 40 min before departure.

You should book the afternoon departure and turn up early enough to ask for a standby for the morning departure.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
I’ve got a similar situation - CX J ticket HKG-SGN booked with Avios.

Would the agents at the in-town check in be able to move me to the earlier flight, CX799, although I’m booked on CX721?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
I’ve got a similar situation - CX J ticket HKG-SGN booked with Avios.

Would the agents at the in-town check in be able to move me to the earlier flight, CX799, although I’m booked on CX721?
99% no

1% yes cuz ure doing them a favor if they change you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.