Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles balance needs to be 70% [now 100%] of award redemption for waitlist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis

For some time, I’ve placed myself on the business to first upgrade with Asia Miles waitlist. Since I’m Exec Platinum (Emerald) on AA, my miles are credited there and my Asia Miles balance stays at 0.

When the upgrade clears, I transfer AmEx rewards to Asia Miles and they process the upgrade. It’s worked well on several occasions.

I tried this again today and was told I can’t be placed on the waitlist since my Asia Miles balance must be at least 70% of the Miles required for the award.

I’m wondering if this is a new policy or a HUCA situation. If a policy, does anyone know of any workarounds? I don’t need a balance in Asia Miles if the uprades don’t clear.

Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:26 pm

Did you try to do this online? Don’t know if there’s a new policy, but I think was able to waitlist an award redemption online about 6 weeks ago for a flight next week, if that helps.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
HUACA this if you can use the MPC line.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by ashsong
HUACA this if you can use the MPC line.
In the '''Quechuan''' languages of South America, a HUACA or wak'a is an object that represents something revered, typically a monument of some kind. The term huaca can refer to natural locations, such as immense rocks. Some huacas have been associated with veneration and ritual.

Or, as further research revealed, HUACA can also mean "Hang up and call again."
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I have come up with this enough times to be pretty sure it's probably a rule of some sort. However it's not enforced on online waitlists and furthermore it's not system enforced.

More examples:

1. Deadline shortened when one way clear http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...confirmed.html

2. AM and GR can only waitlist one flight per sector http://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumS.../12092?page=33 #326

But in typical CX fashion, these changes aren't system enforced (no system change) or enforced (manually) uniformly. So guess what everyone does?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:43 am

https://milelion.com/2019/02/10/new-...d-to-waitlist/
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
lovely
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:47 pm

Maybe waitlist and hold the redemption ticket are difference? I can hold two award tickets(170K Asia mile) even though I only have 60K, Marco Polo Club let me hold the ticket for more than two weeks so I can have time transfer mile
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:17 pm

Nope, not waitlist vs hold

More likely the agent separeted the award into two bookings (or at least deemed that you did) and "recycled" your existing miles against each booking when checking.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by cyster2007
Maybe waitlist and hold the redemption ticket are difference? I can hold two award tickets(170K Asia mile) even though I only have 60K, Marco Polo Club let me hold the ticket for more than two weeks so I can have time transfer mile
This was probably a call-in instead of website booking?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Can we still wait list awards if we have 70% of the points needed in out accounts?

I'm trying to wait list flights online and I have 70% of the points but I'm getting a notice that I don't have enough points to make the booking. It's telling me I need the full amount.

Is it still possible to wait list awards with only 70% of the points available and is there a trick to doing it online or do I have to call in?

Or is this feature dead?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:02 pm

All points required up front before making a request.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by walkup
All points required up front before making a request.
Is that a new rule? I was reading blogs from late 2019 saying only 70% of points needed.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:54 pm

Now 100% https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-accounts.html. My experience too (but I pumped so many miles into my AM account this month I can't test this)
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Is that a new rule? I was reading blogs from late 2019 saying only 70% of points needed.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post32002105

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.