Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX GO worth a mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

CX GO worth a mileage run?

I'm 90 CP short of GO by the end of April (my renewal date) and potentially less depending on the fare class my BA flights book into in January. Would you guys say it's worth the mileage run from YVR-HKG just to get GO? Seems like the difference between SL and GO are fairly big but realistically I'm paying $950 to buy my way up to GO. WWFTD?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: MPC Gold
From what I've read, you can try to call Marco Polo to request an extension of your renewal date. This is assuming you already have travel plans earmarked for post April 2018.

Otherwise -- I'd do the mileage run to get GO if you have the time and monies to do so!

Good luck!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:20 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
I'm 90 CP short of GO by the end of April (my renewal date) and potentially less depending on the fare class my BA flights book into in January. Would you guys say it's worth the mileage run from YVR-HKG just to get GO? Seems like the difference between SL and GO are fairly big but realistically I'm paying $950 to buy my way up to GO. WWFTD?
Depends on a lot of things but generally I'd say that its not.

Do you fly CX often? If not, then no.
Do you know if you'll fly a lot next year? If not, then no.
Do you value having some more luggage? If not, then no.

Get the pattern here? Definitely answer the first two realistically. If you mostly fly CX then it makes no sense IMO. If you fly with other OW airlines then I would leave MPC asap anyways...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mxr
Depends on a lot of things but generally I'd say that its not.

Do you fly CX often? If not, then no.
Do you know if you'll fly a lot next year? If not, then no.
Do you value having some more luggage? If not, then no.

Get the pattern here? Definitely answer the first two realistically. If you mostly fly CX then it makes no sense IMO. If you fly with other OW airlines then I would leave MPC asap anyways...
I'd say CX is about 50% of my flying. The other half with BA. All of it is long haul Y. I chose MPC originally because they status matched me into CX SL where BA wouldn't even give me the time of day and I would have needed to start at the bottom. Having said that I did the math and because of the poor earn rates on CX flights under BAEC I'd still be a bit short of BA Silver so a mileage run would still be necessary. I've found the Asia Miles companion ticket to be great which is why I still continue to stick with the program.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is just my 2 cents.

AA's PLT challenge costs less.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:27 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
I'd say CX is about 50% of my flying. The other half with BA. All of it is long haul Y. I chose MPC originally because they status matched me into CX SL where BA wouldn't even give me the time of day and I would have needed to start at the bottom. Having said that I did the math and because of the poor earn rates on CX flights under BAEC I'd still be a bit short of BA Silver so a mileage run would still be necessary. I've found the Asia Miles companion ticket to be great which is why I still continue to stick with the program.
So effectively you can really only make use of your SL status when flying CX. If you had said 75% or more with CX then it would have been a different story and the mileage run wouldnt have been worth it.

Did you try looking at AA?

As garykung suggests, their PLT challenge seems to be cheaper than your GO mileage run. With AA it would depend on booking classes you usually go with. PEY on CX apparently works out really well for AA status...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.