FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   JCL purser does not know what a mimosa is (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1877279-jcl-purser-does-not-know-what-mimosa.html)

hl176 Nov 13, 2017 2:42 am

JCL purser does not know what a mimosa is

Just found it hilarious how on my last flight, one of the pursers in JCL did not know what a mimosa was and gave me a blank stare; I just ended up taking a bubbly and a glass of oj off the tray instead and made my own

She's also definitely not a new hire as I've seen her/him a few times on that route before

:D:)

christep Nov 13, 2017 3:08 am

I guess JCL pursers ought to be bilingual, but in English it's known as a "Buck's Fizz" (although Wiki quibbles about different ratios of fizz and juice). Try that next time.

sxc Nov 13, 2017 3:25 am

I doubt it’s the terminology. CX flight attendants are just not very knowledgeable about alcohol and cocktails. Don’t bother asking them about the wine as they will just give you a blank stare back.

KUL1971 Nov 13, 2017 3:30 am

Nothing hilarious. If its on the menu, thats poor training from CX.
If its not on the menu, there is no reason for them to know what a mimosa is. The airplane is not a cocktail bar and certainly cabin crew are not bartenders

irishguy28 Nov 13, 2017 3:35 am

Originally Posted by hl176 (Post 29054231)
Just found it hilarious how on my last flight, one of the pursers in JCL did not know what a mimosa was and gave me a blank stare;

Next time use the British name.

Not everyone who speaks English speaks American!!! :D

QRC3288 Nov 13, 2017 3:37 am

Originally Posted by KUL1971 (Post 29054321)
Nothing hilarious. If its on the menu, thats poor training from CX.
If its not on the menu, there is no reason for them to know what a mimosa is. The airplane is not a cocktail bar and certainly cabin crew are not bartenders

It's not on the menu.

OP you should've just told her it's Champagne + OJ! Helped her out for next time.

hl176 Nov 13, 2017 3:47 am

My bad, thought it would just be as straightforward as something a gin and tonic and s/he is yvr based

On a side note, does CX ground training staff train regarding the wines loaded? They never seem to really know about them much to make recommendations for pairings

fakecd Nov 13, 2017 5:52 am

whats mimosa? :D

24left Nov 13, 2017 6:41 am

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I had crew who knew. :D

christep Nov 13, 2017 6:48 am

Originally Posted by KUL1971 (Post 29054321)

This is true, but with guidance they can do a decent job. I had a couple of very acceptable Negronis on my farewell to the 747 trip to Haneda last year (in F).

dulciusexasperis Nov 13, 2017 9:36 am

I'd give you a blank stare too if you asked me for a Persian Silk Tree. What are you gonna do with it on the plane? :)

On a more serious note, I once got a blank stare from a waitress in a Scottish hotel when I asked for 'Brown toast'.

Here in Canada we refer to whole wheat bread as 'brown bread' (as opposed to bleached white bread) and it is normal to ask for 'brown toast' meaning toasted whole wheat bread. In the USA, the term 'wheat toast' is more common for the same thing. I don't know what term if any is commonly used in the UK.

So after recovering from being dumbfounded by my request, the young waitress replied, 'all toast is brown'. I have to admit, she got me there and was indeed correct. :)

hl176 Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Well to all fairness, I was just taken back as I assumed it would be fairly straightforward and I’ve never experienced any purser in fcl or jcl who didn’t know what it was

cxfan1960 Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29054333)
Next time use the British name.

Not everyone who speaks English speaks American!!! :D

I don't think Mimosa is an American name anyway, but the British version has more bubbles.

FAs are definitely not bartenders. They may probably still give you a blank stare even if you say Buck's Fizz.

cxfan1960 Nov 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by hl176 (Post 29056280)
Well to all fairness, I was just taken back as I assumed it would be fairly straightforward and I’ve never experienced any purser in fcl or jcl who didn’t know what it was

In fact, I think it is best to order champagne and OJ so you can mix to your taste;)

fakecd Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm

the real smart approach is to say "ah ok you dont know? dont worry, i take you to my favorite bar and show u what it is. free tmr night?":p