Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by justforfun
I was told the same thing a few days ago, that as of a month ago CX no longer requires the middle name.
Perhaps this only applies to westerners and ABCs with actual English first names (most of AA's customers)?

However, I can see a problem for HK Chinese who have their two-part Chinese given names as their first name, especially when travelling on routes that involve Mainland China and the use of the Home Return Permit.

Eg.

Last name: Chan
Given Name: Tan Man (where "Tai Man" is a two-part name)

CHAN/TAI = Not OK to Fly (if ex-HKG or ex-Mainland China, Taiwan and the agent is Chinese) as "TAI" is not a complete name and is disrespectful for a Chinese person as this is "splitting up their name". If flying ex-USA/Europe and the agent is non-Chinese, he/she will likely not care and let the pax fly.

However...

Eg. ABC with actual English first name.

Last Name: Chan
Given Names: David Some-Thing

CHAN/DAVID = OK to fly

Eg. Westerner

Last Name: Smith
Given Name: John Michael

SMITH/JOHN = OK to fly
Old May 11, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
The Cathay Pacific website only has Family Name and Given Name fields under the "Primary Travel Document Information" section. Same with the main "Personal Information" section of the "Your Profile" page. Pretty strange that they then try to enforce needing a middle name on your ticket.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:29 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by IvanCU
The Cathay Pacific website only has Family Name and Given Name fields under the "Primary Travel Document Information" section. Same with the main "Personal Information" section of the "Your Profile" page. Pretty strange that they then try to enforce needing a middle name on your ticket.
Given Name or Given Names?
In any case, I can key all my given and middle names into Given Name
Try arguing singular vs plural with a HKG check-in agent.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
Given Name or Given Names?
In any case, I can key all my given and middle names into Given Name
Try arguing singular vs plural with a HKG check-in agent.

Singular; that is what makes it so odd. Especially for an airline like Cathay. Even the application for a China visa was clearer than Cathay’s website when it came to names.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I think the issue has already been beaten to death.

ICAO passport requirements capture names in two fields.

Amadeus capture name in two fields.

Enter your name matching passport.
If there are some other travel documents that can be used on a subset of routes in lieu of passport that capture name in more than three fields, then surname in surname field, everything else in the other field (Given Name) in Amadeus/CX/BA/QF.
percysmith and APeverell like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:16 am

Once I had problem with CX ground staff in HKG, they said not OK with one given name.
At the end they requested me to sign a form to release their responsibility, in case I was rejected entry.

Of course no issue for me to enter the country.
percysmith likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by jjjohn
Once I had problem with CX ground staff in HKG, they said not OK with one given name.
At the end they requested me to sign a form to release their responsibility, in case I was rejected entry.

Of course no issue for me to enter the country.
Were you flying to Mainland China or Vietnam by any chance?
Old May 13, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
Were you flying to Mainland China or Vietnam by any chance?
to Mainland China
Old May 13, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by jjjohn
to Mainland China
Using Chinese travel document or Home Return Permit where you have an actual Chinese name with both characters and English letters that correspond to that name?
Old May 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by IvanCU
Given name = First Name + Middle Name. In passport fields there is no distinction between the two.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by seawolf
I think the issue has already been beaten to death.

ICAO passport requirements capture names in two fields.

Amadeus capture name in two fields.

Enter your name matching passport.
If there are some other travel documents that can be used on a subset of routes in lieu of passport that capture name in more than three fields, then surname in surname field, everything else in the other field (Given Name) in Amadeus/CX/BA/QF.
Not just Amadeus, but all legacy airline systems are built like this (Sabre, Apollo, Galileo, Worldspan, TravelSky, Shares, etc.). This is however different from the DOCS entry, which can take 3 name fields, Family/First/Middle.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Hi
Just seeking some advice. We are travelling on CX awards booked via AS in mid September.
I removed my middle name from my AS MP account as I wanted to make sure some SPG points transferred correctly into AS MP.
Then I got award tickets issued by AS on CX.

Does anyone know, can AS retrospectively add my middle name to the award tickets I have? I am going to ring AS to add back my middle name to my AS MP account.
How does that work with tickets already issued without a middle name, whereas my passport has my middle name.

Just don't want to turn up to HKG airport and try and check in to find I can't board because my middle name is missing on the ticket issued by AS.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
Hi
Just seeking some advice. We are travelling on CX awards booked via AS in mid September.
I removed my middle name from my AS MP account as I wanted to make sure some SPG points transferred correctly into AS MP.
Then I got award tickets issued by AS on CX.

Does anyone know, can AS retrospectively add my middle name to the award tickets I have? I am going to ring AS to add back my middle name to my AS MP account.
How does that work with tickets already issued without a middle name, whereas my passport has my middle name.

Just don't want to turn up to HKG airport and try and check in to find I can't board because my middle name is missing on the ticket issued by AS.

Thanks in advance.
As long as your "middle name" is not the second part of a two-part Chinese given name (eg. Tai Man but you simply just use "Tai" as your first name in the western world) then you should be fine.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Just letting you know I rang AS to check the ticket information for my CX award bookings and found that two of the 4 bookings didn't have my middle name. The agent added my middle name to those bookings. I would suggest telling the agent, if you make an award booking over the phone to include your middle name, they may forget to ask you.

Apparently it is in the secure information of my tickets now. However the agent just rang me back after double checking (incredible service as I am an international customer) to say she has checked and CX want your middle name to appear on the boarding pass as well. So she has arranged for that to happen and I will get an email with that amendment. To ensure this is the correct protocol I would double check with the agent when making a booking as to what should happen here.

Last edited by Ellice; Jul 12, 2018 at 5:15 pm Reason: agent rang back with corrected info
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:05 pm

This is a USA issue - i never used my middle name for bookings until I tried to process an upgrade ex-Newark.

Was told i had to have my middle name in my MPC account and had to fax ID to update it.

They added my middle name after my first name in the first name field and left the middle name field blank.... Im not chinese.

This has never been a problem travelling non-US except the online checkin sometimes throws errors on passport name details which then has to be updated everytime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.