Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Have all the instances of denied boarding by CX involved flights to the US? If so, could be a feature of the "enhanced" US security measures.

Originally Posted by LukeO9
I'm assuming this issue is relatively recent, and now current.
I too have flown CX recently without middle name on ticket. Last flight was Oct 26. However, the flight was part of an AAward, ticketed at the beginning of the year.
Yesterday, booking another CX flight via an AAward, I was asked for middle name.
This makes me wonder if only more recent booking require the middle name, and if I need to check up on a CX flight I have Dec 15, that was booked in April, that doesn't have my middle name.
I booked an Avios ticket on November 19 without a middle name. So while AA may be cracking down, it seems that BA is not. Flight is BKK-SIN middle of January.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:50 am

I'm in a similar situation. I have an AS award ticket using CX in February JFK-HKG-SIN-HKG-JFK. Using a previous example above, my passport shows as follows:

Surname: Smith
Given names: John Peter

The AS ticket shows as John Smith and that is what shows on the CX website when looking up the booking as well. I sent a twitter message to CX asking about the middle name and they stated that the ticket needs to match my passport exactly. Apparently they did put a note on my booking to mention my middle name. That is all they could do since it was ticketed with AS and they did say that they couldn't guarantee there won't be issues at check-in.

I then called AS. They said they don't put middle names on the ticket and they couldn't do anything for me there. I even asked if they could add my middle name to the first name field, but in order to do that I would have to cancel and rebook which would potentially risk me loosing the award space. They did say that they added my middle name (Peter) to the secure flight information. They said that that is what the airline looks at anyway and I would have no troubles. We'll see and I will keep monitoring this thread before my flight.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by daniellam
Please post back once you receive your e-ticket. Let everyone here know whether your full name (first middle last) is included.

As far as I know, I've been asked my middle name by AA before and all they did was have it included in the "Secure Flight" field of the PNR (used for TSA purposes and also to partially complete APHIS/Passport info). The "name" field of the PNR stayed the same as LAST/FIRST.

How do I know? I have the travel agent version of Sabre and can pull up AA award booking PNRs and saw the full history!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Have all the instances of denied boarding by CX involved flights to the US? If so, could be a feature of the "enhanced" US security measures.

I booked an Avios ticket on November 19 without a middle name. So while AA may be cracking down, it seems that BA is not. Flight is BKK-SIN middle of January.
Originally Posted by UAL123
I'm in a similar situation. I have an AS award ticket using CX in February JFK-HKG-SIN-HKG-JFK. Using a previous example above, my passport shows as follows:

The AS ticket shows as John Smith and that is what shows on the CX website when looking up the booking as well. I sent a twitter message to CX asking about the middle name and they stated that the ticket needs to match my passport exactly. Apparently they did put a note on my booking to mention my middle name. That is all they could do since it was ticketed with AS and they did say that they couldn't guarantee there won't be issues at check-in.

I then called AS. They said they don't put middle names on the ticket and they couldn't do anything for me there. I even asked if they could add my middle name to the first name field, but in order to do that I would have to cancel and rebook which would potentially risk me loosing the award space. They did say that they added my middle name (Peter) to the secure flight information. They said that that is what the airline looks at anyway and I would have no troubles. We'll see and I will keep monitoring this thread before my flight.
Please keep the following in mind.
  • CX’s requirement is simply name should match passport.
  • Passports have only two name fields; LAST and GIVEN. Middle is usually included in GIVEN after first name.
  • CX systems (Amadeus) only have two name fields; LAST and GIVEN. BA is the same as they use Amadeus.
  • AA systems (SABRE) have three name fields; LAST, FIRST, and MIDDLE. When passenger provide MIDDLE name on AA.com or via AAdvantage profile, the MIDDLE name gets dropped when the CX/BA PNR is created and thus causing a mismatch with passport
  • Based on datapoInts reported, it appears a mismatch will cause OLCI to fail but passenger should have no problem at airport.
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Member

If your passport is as follows you are fine. There is no need to call anybody. CX does not support middle names to begin with as explained in my prior post.
LAST NAME: SMITH
GIVEN NAME: JOHN PETER
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody

My first post on this topic (#9 above) was the same situation. AS was the "partner award" I was referring to. (Many on this board hyperventilate at the mention of AS redemptions, so I avoid directly using their name when possible. ) It's strange AS told you they don't use middle names because I directly discussed with them the whole middle-name CX drama. They confirmed my middle name was there, and they walked through and OLCI with me (both of us independently and simultaneously walking it through online). It was during that walk-though that I saw the warning message during OLCI, but there was a button that allowed me to proceed anyway (which I did). The full story is in #9 , so I won't repeat here.

Anyway, CX is causing needless anxiety. Hat tip to seawolf for what I think this is probably the best explanation:

Originally Posted by seawolf
Please keep the following in mind.
  • CX systems (Amadeus) only have two name fields; LAST and GIVEN. BA is the same as they use Amadeus.
  • AA systems (SABRE) have three name fields; LAST, FIRST, and MIDDLE. When passenger provide MIDDLE name on AA.com or via AAdvantage profile, the MIDDLE name gets dropped when the CX/BA PNR is created and thus causing a mismatch with passport
  • Based on datapoInts reported, it appears a mismatch will cause OLCI to fail but passenger should have no problem at airport.
I think AA/AS DOES transmit middle names, but the middle name DOES NOT not get dropped by CX, and maybe THAT is what is causing the problem. I just checked both my profiles. The AS profile does indeed have three separate name fields, and my MPC profile has only two. In my MPC profile, I have only my first name entered for my GIVEN NAME. So, if AA/AS only transmitted all name, and CX only accepted the FIRST NAME (and compared it) to my GIVEN NAME, then all would match.

Alternatively, (or likewise?) if I set my GIVEN NAME in my CX profile to First and Middle, then it would not match with the info coming from SABRE, because in those profiles I have the first, middle, and last fields entered appropriately. AA/AS would transmit my first name only, and CX would accept it (and compare it) to my GIVEN NAME and FAIL the compare.

Now having seen this, I wonder if changes are appropriate? Maybe the thing to do is to do first and middle in GIVEN NAME field in CX, and the first and middle in the FIRST NAME field for all others. Do it now, while I don't have any booked travel.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Member

Value entered in MIDDLE name field on AA website or AAdvantage profile DOES NOT make it to CX or BA PNR. That is why AA’s workaround is to have AAgent confirm if passenger have middle name on travel document. If so, add it to AA’s FIRST name field which will show up on CX/BA in GIVEN name field.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by seawolf
Value entered in MIDDLE name field on AA website or AAdvantage profile DOES NOT make it to CX or BA PNR. That is why AA’s workaround is to have AAgent confirm if passenger have middle name on travel document. If so, add it to AA’s FIRST name field which will show up on CX/BA in GIVEN name field.
The "middle name" does make it to the CX/BA PNR! It will be found in the APIS/Secure flight field of the PNR when opened in Amadeus.

All airline reservations systems have the following fields:

1. Names field consisting of LASTNAME / FIRSTNAME

2. APIS/Secure flight field consisting of LAST / FIRST / MIDDLE

It is when airlines start to "dumb down" their system for their front end agents (and end customers booking online) by using GUIs then it becomes a problem.

In AA's GUI:

GUI LAST NAME = Names LASTNAME & APIS LAST
GUI FIRST NAME = Names FIRSTNAME & APIS FIRST
GUI MIDDLE NAME = APIS MIDDLE

For CX's GUI:

GUI GIVEN NAMES: Names FIRSTNAME & APIS FIRST

I suspect CX's motivation for their GUI design (and mapping to Amadeus) is to prevent Chinese first names that have two parts "SIU MING" from being split into two parts resulting in FIRSTNAME = SIU, MIDDLE NAME = MING when keyboard passport scanners are used to scan passports during the check-in process (the smarter agents would try to do a manual search in the passenger identification screen to find the passenger).

Machine readable line as scanned by CX check-in staff:
CHAN<<SIU<MING becomes the following in Amadeus

Names field: CHAN / SIU MING (SIU MING is shown in the "Names FIRSTNAME" field)
APIS Field: CHAN / SIU MING (SIU MING is shown in the "APIS FIRST" field)

Machine readable line as scanned by AA check-in staff:
CHAN<<SIU<MING becomes the following in Sabre

Names field: CHAN / SIU (The passport scanner interprets < as a separator between SIU and MING and only uses SIU as the first name for the "Names FIRSTNAME" field)
APIS Field: CHAN / SIU / MING (SIU is shown in the "APIS FIRST" field, while MING is shown in the "APIS MIDDLE" field)

Somehow I have a feeling that westerners like "SMITH/JOHN or BROWN/PETER" would not have a problem!! This is targeted towards people with with Chinese (two part) first names.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Good lord, this is exhausting. What a mess...

Regards
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:26 pm

I did it last month for my wife . Alaska did not canceled the booking . They just changed the name and gave me new ticket . I told them to put middle name after first name and they did with no problem , but when I checked on CX website . I saw first name and middle name were joined . I called them and they said that i will have no problem . Ticket name is matching with passport . Only first name and middle were joined
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:40 pm

For CX's GUI:

I suspect CX's motivation for their GUI design (and mapping to Amadeus) is to prevent Chinese first names that have two parts "SIU MING" from being split into two parts resulting in FIRSTNAME = SIU, MIDDLE NAME = MING when keyboard passport scanners are used to scan passports during the check-in process (the smarter agents would try to do a manual search in the passenger identification screen to find the passenger).

Names field: CHAN / SIU (The passport scanner interprets < as a separator between SIU and MING and only uses SIU as the first name for the "Names FIRSTNAME" field)
APIS Field: CHAN / SIU / MING (SIU is shown in the "APIS FIRST" field, while MING is shown in the "APIS MIDDLE" field)

Somehow I have a feeling that westerners like "SMITH/JOHN or BROWN/PETER" would not have a problem!! This is targeted towards people with with Chinese (two part) first names.
Another suspicion is that CX is simply trying to protect their revenue using "security" as an excuse.

It is a known fact that for most Chinese families, siblings from the same immediate family tend to have two part Chinese names (usually used as first names in Hong Kong) where the first part is usually shared among siblings.

Example:

CHAN / SIU MING (eldest brother)

CHAN / SIU WAH (younger brother)

CHAN / SIU PING (sister)

etc.

Imagine what could happen if the eldest brother (SIU MING) bought a ticket with just CHAN / SIU! He could fly HKG-LHR to attend school. Due to changes in school exam timings, he cannot make it back to HKG so he lets his younger brother SIU WAH use the ticket! All he does is go into CX's Manage My Booking to change the passport details to that of his younger brother!

When the three siblings buy AA tickets on a trip in the US, if they are not careful, the system at AA could flag them as duplicate bookings and maybe cancel all 3 reservations (if in different PNRs)! (If for some reason they bought the tickets at an AA counter and the passport reader only picked up CHAN / SIU as the first and last name - all three tickets would have the same name! [while of course the APIS / Secure flight field would be different]).

Tip for Hong Kongers expecting a child: If you must give your child a Chinese first name (as opposed to middle name), make sure you leave out the space when registering the birth. Use "SIUMING" instead of "SIU MING".
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Member

The "middle name" does make it to the CX/BA PNR! It will be found in the APIS/Secure flight field of the PNR when opened in Amadeus.

All airline reservations systems have the following fields:

1. Names field consisting of LASTNAME / FIRSTNAME

2. APIS/Secure flight field consisting of LAST / FIRST / MIDDLE

It is when airlines start to "dumb down" their system for their front end agents (and end customers booking online) by using GUIs then it becomes a problem.

In AA's GUI:

GUI FIRST NAME = Names FIRSTNAME & APIS FIRST
GUI MIDDLE NAME = APIS MIDDLE

For CX's GUI:

APIS, SecureFlight, and PNR names are different things. The first two are not even applicable on flights not involving a US point. Middle Name is not a recognized field as per ICAO passport spec.

Go to AA.com, insert a value in the middle name field and place a BA award on hold. Go to BA.com and you will not find Middle Name under PNR name. Not only that, you wouldn't even find a Middle Name field to begin with for the PNR. Again, APIS, SecureFlight, and PNR names are different things.

Next go to AA.com and put LAX HKG award on AA metal on hold with a value in the middle name field. Call AA and switch it to a CX flight. Go to CX.com and you will see same as BA, not only is the middle name not saved, there is no middle name field to begin with on the PNR.

I say again, the manual workaround AA is doing is asking if passenger have a middle name. If so, they will append to Sabre's first name field.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:49 am
rqd

Booked two CX awards using AA miles via the EXP desk on Friday. One was confirmed the other was not (miles not deducted fee not charged to cc).

Called EXP desk today to straighten it out and was told the first EXP agent didn't get the middle name for the second pax so CX rejected the ticket.

Provided the middle name and now waiting for the confirmation.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by rqd
Booked two CX awards using AA miles via the EXP desk on Friday. One was confirmed the other was not (miles not deducted fee not charged to cc).

Called EXP desk today to straighten it out and was told the first EXP agent didn't get the middle name for the second pax so CX rejected the ticket.

Provided the middle name and now waiting for the confirmation.
Can you report back once you received the confirmation wherever the name has changed?

As far as I know, when the Secureflight/ APIS field is blank, some carriers inhibit ticketing.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Member

Can you report back once you received the confirmation wherever the name has changed?

As far as I know, when the Secureflight/ APIS field is blank, some carriers inhibit ticketing.
Generally speaking AA will not ticket without SecureFlight as they will ask for DOB/Gender before ticketing.

CX will ticket without APIS based on first hand evidence on AA issued tickets and also with CX.com bookings. APIS is only required for check-in as passports can/do change between purchase and travel.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:09 pm

Just called AS for a 3rd time and I got someone knowledgeable on the issue. They said a lot of people have been calling about middle names for flights on Cathay. They said not to worry. They talked with someone at Cathay in the past few days and that person said that as long as the middle name is included in the secure flight information, then everything will be fine. The actual ticket name does not need the middle name added to the first name field. This seems to match what others have been inferring above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.