Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
I booked an award reservation through AA who asked me for first and last name. I never provide my middle name for any itineary, but in any case the AA reservations line never asked and I expected no issue.

I showed up to the airport (HKG) where the CX agents were adamant they could not check me in because the middle name was missing. The system let me add the Asia Miles number which had the middle name and everything. CX agent on the ground forced me to call AA reservations on roaming to reissue the ticket. Told me it was strict policy to have middle name and told me it was my fault for not checking in advance.

Some seriously great ground service from CX flying C. Gifted me SSSS on the boarding pass too.
In this age of flying, you probably will get SSSS due to the fact that the names are not exactly the same, especially after the new restrictions applied on all US bound flights.

However, I had an even more serious problem than you back in Feb: AA award on CX. Multiple words in my first name, AA messed up my first name in the award tix on CX. I remembered I checked in without problem on CX website. CX airport check-in desk showed the first name wasn't right. I asked if all the words were in middle name section, but CX agent couldn't figure it out. She took it up to the manager, and manager just put a stamp on it saying I was ok to fly. Considered ridiculously lucky.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 2, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
One potential issue would be for those who use their HRP (Home Return Permit) to enter Mainland China.

Name on HRP:
陈小明
Chan, Siu Ming

Name on Ticket:
CHAN/SIU = Maybe NOT ok to fly as the person's name in this case would be just "陈小" as opposed to "陈小明".

Also, I think they are more likely to give westerners and ABC/BBC/CBCs (who have their English name as their genuine "First Name" [英文名行先] as opposed to their HK born counterparts where their English name is their middle name [中文名行先]) a blind eye and let them board.

Westerner:
Last Name: Smith
Given Names: John David Jacob Micheal Peter III

Ticket: SMITH/JOHN = OK to Fly

ABC/BBC/CBC:
Last Name: Chan
Given Names: John Some-Thing
Note: [英文名行先]

Ticket: CHAN/JOHN = OK to Fly.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I think this is a matter of caution, not paranoia. As I mentioned above, I was not allowed to OLCI. When I call and they say, "Maybe they won't let you fly", it's hard to be cavalier and just assume it's not going to be a problem.

Of course, I wouldn't mention it to the counter person during check-in... no need to call attention to it. :-)

Im only reporting 10 years of flying CX without a middle name on a ticket.
The paranoia is on FT about this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
It's not paranoia when we have first hand accounts of pax being denied checkin due to this issue. Currently, CX won't even issue award tickets from AA without a middle name. The issue is a real one. A change in status quo occurred a few months ago, so your experience before that is irrelevant.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by justforfun
It's not paranoia when we have first hand accounts of pax being denied checkin due to this issue. Currently, CX won't even issue award tickets from AA without a middle name. The issue is a real one. A change in status quo occurred a few months ago, so your experience before that is irrelevant.
CX don't issue tickets paid with AAdvantage miles; AA does.

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
AA is sending itineraries without a middle name to a manual processing queue per middle name requirement directive they are receiving from CX.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
CX don't issue tickets paid with AAdvantage miles; AA does.
Yes, you are technically correct. The issue is still a real one. CX is not confirming these tickets and award seats are being lost.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've booked and flown close to two dozen CX flights over the past few years using Avios, no middle name, no problem.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Suggestion: write your middle name always behind your surname, without a space in between. Then you always do have everything there, sometime "wrong" order, still sorting fine, and it's all in there.
And the same when you do have multiple first names in use.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've booked and flown close to two dozen CX flights over the past few years using Avios, no middle name, no problem.
I'm assuming this issue is relatively recent, and now current.
I too have flown CX recently without middle name on ticket. Last flight was Oct 26. However, the flight was part of an AAward, ticketed at the beginning of the year.
Yesterday, booking another CX flight via an AAward, I was asked for middle name.
This makes me wonder if only more recent booking require the middle name, and if I need to check up on a CX flight I have Dec 15, that was booked in April, that doesn't have my middle name.

Last edited by LukeO9; Dec 2, 2017 at 9:04 pm Reason: clarity
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
It does sound more like an AA issue more than a CX issue at present, but I don't wanna gamble if CX HKG AHQ decides on a second crusade.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
I'm assuming this issue is relatively recent, and now current.
I too have flown CX recently without middle name on ticket. Last flight was Oct 26. However, the flight was part of an AAward, ticketed at the beginning of the year.
Yesterday, booking another CX flight via an AAward, I was asked for middle name.
This makes me wonder if only more recent booking require the middle name, and if I need to check up on a CX flight I have Dec 15, that was booked in April, that doesn't have my middle name.
Please post back once you receive your e-ticket. Let everyone here know whether your full name (first middle last) is included.

As far as I know, I've been asked my middle name by AA before and all they did was have it included in the "Secure Flight" field of the PNR (used for TSA purposes and also to partially complete APHIS/Passport info). The "name" field of the PNR stayed the same as LAST/FIRST.

How do I know? I have the travel agent version of Sabre and can pull up AA award booking PNRs and saw the full history!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
P.S. for my passport name Smith/Percy Tai Man, currently I fill out my name as follows in a first name/middle names/last name ticket form (commonly encountered outside Asia):

First name: Percy Tai Man
Middle names: [leave blank]
Last name: Smith

Only when a multiple first name is rejected do I proceed to fill in middle name field.

I don't see the point of a middle name field - it can only cause omissions later.

I do not mind being addressed as Percy Tai Man - it should only appear in correspondence and I should be addressed as Mr Smith in speech anyway.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
P.S. for my passport name Smith/Percy Tai Man, currently I fill out my name as follows in a first name/middle names/last name ticket form (commonly encountered outside Asia):

First name: Percy Tai Man
Middle names: [leave blank]
Last name: Smith

Only when a multiple first name is rejected do I proceed to fill in middle name field.

I don't see the point of a middle name field - it can only cause omissions later.

I do not mind being addressed as Percy Tai Man - it should only appear in correspondence and I should be addressed as Mr Smith in speech anyway.
However, this may cause your boarding pass to print as follows (depends on each individual airline's system):

SMITH/PERCYTAIM
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Had similar issue with AS-issued award tkt. Olci failed. Called cx and was told we may deny boarding. Called AS and was told we only issue tkts with first and last names. Showed up at airport and had no issues. All my travel docs have middle name except the tkt. Must have flown 100s of times on various airlines with no middle name on tkt.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
AA awards now require either a middle name or statement that you don't have one (on passport anyway). If this field is not filled out by agent the ticket will remain "on request" - this change happened a few months ago. Never was an issue before. Maybe b/c of the issues reported in this thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.