Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
It's CX AHQ's "宜家又話ticket name 要100% match with Passport" https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1842409-earn-ffp-use-ffp-b-status-benefits-not-allowed-now-probably-still-allowed.html again

AHQ seems to have jurisdiction over HKG (and probably ITCI) only
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
So, I booked a CX award earlier this week and the agent was actually quite thorough on asking a couple of times about middle name for me and my wife. I have a middle name but my wife doesnt. I got a call a few minutes after I hung up from that agent and she asked again to confirm that my wife didnt have a middle name. Then the next day my wife gets an email that her reservation did not ticket to call AA. When I called it was because of no middle name. The last agent noted and it did ticket.

I guess they are taking this pretty seriously these days.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:59 pm

Did you see your middle name on the ticket or Cathay site ?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA has been asking for middle name for CX reservations for more than 6 months. They've been holding off on ticketing if no apparent middle name.

CX only supports Surname and Given Name fields. The middle name would be appended onto the end of the first name in the Given Name field.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Call the police as some had referenced.

anyways, just add the middle name to the first name. Its usa/tsa who started being an@l on these things since last month
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
This may become a problem for me because my US passport has my middle name with my last name (long story) so my name JOHN DOE SMITH ends up DOE SMITH/JOHN instead of SMITH/JOHN DOE. While my other passport (dual citizen) is just SMITH/JOHN without any middle name field (again long story).

In the past I never got any hassle for it since I am able to produce legal documents showing I'm one and the same person, but with these new regulations who knows... fingers crossed for my next flight through HKG.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Seems like CX is tightening up on this.. I've travelled the past 25 years without my ticket showing my middle name, and never had any problem with CX in HKG.. But last Thursday the check in agent had to write my middle name onto the boarding pass and put a CX stamp on it... wasn't an issue and the check in agent didn't even say anything.. just processed it and did that extra step.. while I've had the same done with some other airlines before sporadically, it's the first time ever CX did it at HKG for me...
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by tfung
Seems like CX is tightening up on this.. I've travelled the past 25 years without my ticket showing my middle name, and never had any problem with CX in HKG.. But last Thursday the check in agent had to write my middle name onto the boarding pass and put a CX stamp on it... wasn't an issue and the check in agent didn't even say anything.. just processed it and did that extra step.. while I've had the same done with some other airlines before sporadically, it's the first time ever CX did it at HKG for me...
Was it on a trip to US?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:16 pm

Just to clarify this exact match and the "secure data" the airline can see.

My buddy and I are flying Cathay and his Passport has only his middle initial, so that is what I gave the AA ticketing agent. It is showing correctly on Cathay's site. I haven't attached any FF accounts of his to any thing on the reservations where his middle name might be fully displayed.

So should he be OK since we have the exact match?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If reservation name matches passport name you will be fine.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by brunos
Was it on a trip to US?
nope.. to HND only....
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is strange. The "middle name" is a very American thing. Most countries only have "surname" and "given names".
And many countries have different conventions. For example the French add in the "surname" "ep." and the "marital name" to the birth name of a married lady. You can have many given names on passports a first name plus 2 or 3 others. For HK Chinese the first name can contain many names.

Wanting to include everything for pax of every single country will be a nightmare.
And the system won't be able to recognize the FFP number. For example, BA systems would not credit a number if the names do not match the info in their BAEC system.
Anyway, I flew last week and did not need to input all my given names.

Last edited by brunos; Nov 19, 2017 at 1:45 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
This is strange. The "middle name" is a very American thing. Most countries only have "surname" and "given names".
No, it's just bureaucratic clusterxxxx.

I very consistently have one name (Smith, Percy Tai Man) on my identity papers - HKID, HKSAR passport, HRP, Aus passport, even my NSW driver's licence.
All my FFPs use and my tickets are consistently issued that name, fortunately.

However I know my banks (source of my points) have been dicking around:

About 70% of my HK banks have me down as Smith Percy Tai Man
30% of my HK banks have me down as Smith Tai Man Percy (regardless of what my HKID copy actually says)
(1 (HSBC) recently have me down as Smith Percy T M, another (CCB) changed their minds about what I was called after 8 years of banking with them)
One Aus bank have me down as Percy Tai Man Smith
Another bank and my Aus Amex is Percy Smith

Now supposedly I am meant to have full matches right (bank --> FFP --> passport --> tickets)? Even my banks, for reasons best known to them, decided to follow their style guide on what I should be called instead of exactly matching my (very consistent) government docs!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:16 am

The following scenario does not seem to have been discussed yet. The passport shows the last name as Poe, first name Edgar, and middle initial A. But CX has the surname as Poe, given name Edgar Allen. That is, the ticket actually provides more information than the passport, but technically speaking the two names are a mismatch. Is this going to be a problem at check-in? Thanks for your dispatches from the CX trenches.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:38 am

I totally had this issue. LOL

Just need to align all your documents to have the same middle name and update MPC profile and book all tickets consistently with middle name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.