Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Old Nov 9, 17, 12:06 pm

Its the passenger's responsibility to ensure that all names match the document used for travel. Whenever I make a reservation whether its using an Online Travel Agency or directly through the airline I check the itinerary as soon as they send it to me. If there is a problem I am on the phone before the 24 hour period to change it.

If you wait too long as you have found out and there are more than three errors either you pay a ticket name change or must purchase a new ticket. Its for security reasons and the airline may make an exception and waive the fees but its not guaranteed
Old Nov 9, 17, 2:43 pm

Is it ok to put middle name after first name on reservation ? . So the booking will have full name . There is no middle name in the passport , Sure name and given name ( first name and middle name together ) . I booked on Norwegian airline . The booking had full name on reservation .
Old Nov 9, 17, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA(GGL/CCR) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Since when is it a requirement to have your name match exactly on your passport?

This is not a strict requirement, but a rule that is made up on the spot by the over zealous check in agent.
Old Nov 9, 17, 6:51 pm

Programs: MH, AC, AS
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
This is not a strict requirement, but a rule that is made up on the spot by the over zealous check in agent.
It really depends how big the omission is.

AA agents tend to drop the middle name, which for many Chinese names can be quite substantial.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:24 pm

Programs: CX
What if it's not an official middle name, but rather the order of the first name?

E.g.:

Style 1: Lam, Carrie Cheng Yuet Ngor
Style 2: Lam, Cheng Yuet Ngor Carrie

A common HK problem. Any experiences with this?
Old Nov 9, 17, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Plantsville, CT USA; via West Hartford, CT; Stamford, CT; South Bend, IN; London, U.K. and Westchester County, NY
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Starwood Lifetime PLT
Since when is it a requirement to have your name match exactly on your passport?

Most assuredly not the case with AA award bookings on CX. AA Agents require the middle name. They've been doing so for over a year.
Old Nov 9, 17, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
Most assuredly not the case with AA award bookings on CX. AA Agents require the middle name. They've been doing so for over a year.
My mom has her middle name on her AA account. When we booked an award ticket using her AA miles, AA is the one who dropped the middle name off the award ticket on CX.
Old Nov 9, 17, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by AICML View Post
My mom has her middle name on her AA account. When we booked an award ticket using her AA miles, AA is the one who dropped the middle name off the award ticket on CX.
The full legal name may be on the "Secure Flight Data" part of the ticket (visible to airline), not on surface which is only part visible to others. This happens especially with North American carriers and certainly with Alaska.
Old Nov 9, 17, 9:42 pm

I do dummy booking on CX website . It asks to enter last name . Then first name and middle name in one . So if you book on AA , BA or AS for CX flight . It will not take middle name even you have provided middle name . You have to put your middle name after first name and leave middle name blank . Then your full name will be on reservation .
I have a booking with CX using AS miles . I just called to put the middle name after the first name . Now My booking have full name that match with passport.
Old Nov 9, 17, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy View Post

Some seriously great ground service from CX flying C. Gifted me SSSS on the boarding pass too.
To those few people that claims names issues don't really matter? Can you provide your "responsible" and "helpful" answer that he's safe to fly without changing his name?

This is why this issue is NO SMALL MATTER, at least not anymore. With the global flying atmosphere as it is, don't mess around when it comes to accuracy of your identity, make it MATCH.
Old Nov 9, 17, 11:25 pm

That is the weirdest thing, and very LCC behaviour.

I never put my middle name in my CX bookings ever and have had zero issues with CX checkin. But i have never tried this on US routes.

Think you just had a bad agent tbh, or something to do with US rules perhaps.
Following the rules is not LCC behavior.

Your personal success is anecdotal and doesn't represent airlines names policy.

Bad or "good" agent, the rules are rules, knowing the rules beforehand and simply decide to ignore it, at the end of the day, is the pax's own responsibility to bare and no one elses.
Old Nov 9, 17, 11:30 pm

Since the rule clearly states your name on any ID and your name on ticket needs to be exactly match.

You think agents like to make up rules on the spot to give himself, and the pax, grief that can potentially blow up into a very ugly situation? You obviously never worked in service industry.
Old Nov 9, 17, 11:34 pm

Flyers,

Whether you agree with it or not, whether you have past success or not, whether you think it should be this or that or not, is at the end, irrelevant.

The fact is this was a minor issue that seems to be universally ignored, until recently, when the threat of Terror has changed the entire way of air-travel. You can lament, you can be angry, you can be disgusted, but the reality is rules and policies will be enforce, even *over-enforce*.

Just like in the old days agents can care less if your luggage is overweight by a little, now they are adamant to pay a fee or take things out. Names have to be exact match has been around for more than a few decades, now it seems like it's going to be universally enforced as time go on.

Be safe, use exact names, save the grief later.
Old Nov 10, 17, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by bayareas View Post
I do dummy booking on CX website . It asks to enter last name . Then first name and middle name in one . So if you book on AA , BA or AS for CX flight . It will not take middle name even you have provided middle name . You have to put your middle name after first name and leave middle name blank . Then your full name will be on reservation .
I have a booking with CX using AS miles . I just called to put the middle name after the first name . Now My booking have full name that match with passport.
If you have entered all names (first, middle and last etc) the face of the ticket may not show everything but the "secure flight data" will and that is fine. As I said upstream, the airline can see that. You will also realize that you need to input your date of birth in order to book but date of birth is not shown on face of the ticket. It is recorded in secure flight data.
kaka likes this.
Old Nov 10, 17, 2:58 am

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
YMMV but some say you should contact the police
CX Singapore doesn't know about the Chinese transit visa waiver rules

Search this Thread