Wiki Posts
Search

showering at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:10 am
Original Poster

showering at HKG

hello all

so, in my continuing series of small questions in the CX forum, i have perhaps one last question (being that i leave on saturday and all).

flying in business on CX into HKG from YYZ. what's the best place to shower? do they provide towels or will i have to pack one in my carryon?

thanks for any help
Old Jan 27, 2002, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
HKG has no arrivals lounge. If HKG is your final destination, then that's it. You go through immigration and customs.

You can only access the Business/First Class lounge if you have a boarding pass for a connecting flight.

But, no, the Wing provides everything. No towel required.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 8:31 am
Original Poster

hi GB

no - i'm YYZ-HKG-SYD..i have 12 hour layover in HKG...sorry for being unclear.

which is better: pier or wing?

ffr
Old Jan 27, 2002, 9:26 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
I prefer The Pier. The First Class entrance is just after Gate 61 and the Business Class entrance is by Gate 65, Departure Level 6.

The Wing is between Gates 2 & 3, Departure Level 6.

Although The Pier can be a trek from departures by Gates 1-4, I think it is worth it, especially if you are travelling with light carryons. I've made it from The Pier to Gate 2 in about 15 minutes.

Shower "suites" in The Pier are slightly larger than at The Wing. There are black slate floors, glass tile walls with imbedded pebbles, and a floor-to-ceiling sliding glass door. Everything is provided: XXL towel, soap, shampoo, toothbrush & toothpaste, hairdryer, razor, etc. Note that the above description does no justice to the beautiful design. Perhaps the CX website will soon offer a virtual tour of facilities at The Pier.

Showers at The Wing have a similar design concept...minimalist cool black granite and brushed steel. First class lounge offers the cabanas and a tub to soak in.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 2:13 pm

The Pier closes at 11:30 p.m., while the Wing opens until the last flight of the day. So if you want to take shower late, then the Wing may be better. But it looks like you have a lot of time, so it really would not matter.

The Pier also opens later than the Wing, not ready for early morning arrival pax.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 4:42 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
If you choose to take a shower right after your arrival, that means you will be stuck in the airport for 12 hours, as you will have had cleared the security checkpoint, and you can't "Get out".

My suggestion if you'd like, is that you refer to old threads about short excursion to Hong Kong (sorry I can't hyperlink), where many people have had similar experiences as you have. After your short trip, take a shower AFTER you come back to the airport.

Well, that's just me. I thought I give you a different idea

[This message has been edited by fakecd (edited 01-27-2002).]
Old Jan 27, 2002, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

huh? so basically i can't go into the wing or the pier when i arrive?
Old Jan 27, 2002, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
yes, you CAN get out, and get in again.
i had posted direction to get to the wing 1/2 year ago if u do a search.

just go to the transfer desk to get your boarding pass and go to the wing.

the wing is better for you, because of the cabana. the pier is far away, and it does not open until 8am.
the wing is also closer to the immigration exit.

also, there is a conceige at the wing to store your handcarry when u visit the downtown.

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-27-2002).]
Old Jan 27, 2002, 8:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Twelve hour layover; are you sure you don't want to get a day room at an airport hotel or make a brief visit into Hong Kong?

The train ride into Central is only about 25 minutes.

I heard the Regal Hotel at the airport is supposed to be really nice.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

hey

i will be making a trip into hong kong...but i'd like to spend some time before going into the city and after going into the city at either the pier or the wing...

i just wanted to make sure i could get into both without too much hassle
Old Feb 27, 2002, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I arrive in HKG on a CX ticket (J), but will transit on a different ticket for China Eastern later that day, will I be able to use the Wing? Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
yes
Old Feb 28, 2002, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChaseTheMiles:
If I arrive in HKG on a CX ticket (J), but will transit on a different ticket for China Eastern later that day, will I be able to use the Wing? Thanks.</font>
No! Cathay Pacific has changed the policy. ONLY if you are MARCO POLO GOLD and DIAMOND will you be allowed to make use of the lounge. No go if you're OneWorld. Dones't matter if you're coming in on J, or leaving in J. It's not a CX flight.

Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:36 am

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Arriving in HKG from YYZ and terminating there...trying to understand from the thread what my options are. It appears is if I can use the Wing to freshen up. Correct?

But, will I have access to my baggage? Or will it sit on the carosel until I finish getting cleaned up?

I am travelling in First as an AA EXP and AC member...

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2002, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DrHowser:
Arriving in HKG from YYZ and terminating there...trying to understand from the thread what my options are. It appears is if I can use the Wing to freshen up. Correct?

But, will I have access to my baggage? Or will it sit on the carosel until I finish getting cleaned up?

I am travelling in First as an AA EXP and AC member...

Thanks
</font>
Sorry, but no. Arriving passengers can't get to the departure level hence you can't use the Wing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.