Guy Betsy goes solo

Old Jan 2, 2002, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Guy Betsy goes solo

Well sort of.... I just did CX 881 from LAX to HKG on 31Dec. Flight took off at 1145pm.

I was the only passenger in First Class. So it's a great way to start off into the new year, I thought. Until we hit severe turbulence off the coast of San Francisco and bumped all the way to Alaska almost 2.5 hours later!

Last count: 4 F/A's in the tail, 2 F/A's on the upper deck and 1 F/A in First Class all sick! I dared not ask how many passengers had motion sickness too! I was fine though...actually the rocking motion rocked me to sleep!

Flight was great... but caviar now served with just toast and a small boiled potato. Is this some sort of new fad menu?

Sorry I know this post might belong to Flight reports but I hope that it's short enough to warrant putting it here!

Old Jan 3, 2002, 1:04 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
very interesting.. so you spent midnite new years eve on the plane? any celebrations at all? Also, I wonder if your miles would be credited to 2001 or 2002..
Old Jan 3, 2002, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
the FA were lined up to kiss GB at the countdown, but was stopped by the turbulence, poor GB...
Old Jan 3, 2002, 5:24 am

Interesting story, Guy.

Ever experience that less full flights result in worse FA service?

------------------
UA 1K switching to AA/CX/Asia Miles so I can use them out here in Asia!

[This message has been edited by shayes (edited 01-03-2002).]
Old Jan 3, 2002, 12:26 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Am taking that flight in First next week. Sorry to hear about the caviar. How was the food and service otherwise? How long was the flight?
Old Jan 4, 2002, 4:07 pm

Guy Betsy, Caviar with boiled potatos and toasts only? Surely, French would not allow for it to happen. They should at least serve warm blini with it. I shall find out tomorrow on CX 260 from CDG..
Old Jan 5, 2002, 9:10 am

Shayes, it couldn't be more the opposite. I was solo on a SYD-HKG flight, and was treated like the King of Siam. Richlond and I were on HKG-NRT-HKG with only one or two others, and the service was impeccable.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 11:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Caviar with no accompaniments (except toast) is the new menu for Cathay. It was offered to me Dec 31 on JBG-HKG and today from HKG to LAX. I passed; I need my caviar diluted.

And on today's menu, no salad was offered - although there was a choice of two soups.
Old Jan 7, 2002, 3:02 pm
askworldtraveler

Thanks for the heads up on the Cavier - I'll bring my own 'extras' for it....
Strange things the airlines are choosing to cut back on -
I'm flying over from LAX on 2/8 anyone heading that way (on to Sin and Pen for some great food!)

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++Hilton Gold (thanks to EXP)

Old Jun 17, 2002, 3:05 am
R&R

Will I have the same luck as GB on the return flight on 12/31/02 HKG-LAX?
I don't mean the turbulance!

No AA award seats availabe for 1/1/03 or 1/02/03 at this time!

Old Jun 18, 2002, 9:41 am

You shouldn't be eating Caviar if you need eggs and onions to enjoy it.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 11:24 am
R&R

It is hard to know what is 'gastronomically correct' these days! But how did the Czar have his cavier? We learn many of our habits from watching TV and movies. I think using all the trimmings to cut the taste of less then fresh or inexpensive fish eggs is not unacceptable.

The nutritional value increases with the varied amino acids contained in the eggs. Of course, egg yolk contains all of the vitamins, while the amino acids are split between the yolk and the egg white!

Does anyone besides myself wonder what happened to the raw egg, that was served in the Tempura dip/sauce, when Japanese food first showed up about 30+ years ago? Recently, I have been served a raw egg with Japanese dishes in several Japanese restaurants. Sukiyaki is one of them that has the raw egg added, but it cooks in the hot broth. From a nutritional standpoint, it is a good idea.
Cavier is raw fish eggs and maybe one of the most viable proteins to be consumed. Shame it costs so much and so difficult to get the best quality. Goes best with a fine vodka. Not sure the vodka is good for the protein.

[This message has been edited by R&R (edited 06-18-2002).]

Old Jun 19, 2002, 8:39 pm

Caviar was eaten by those who truly enjoyed it and it was done so in the purest way...

Now it is a status symbol very costly and consumed by people who love it and those who don't...the melba toast, egg, and onions started when those who couldn't eat caviar in its pure form, added it to tone down the taste of the "fish eggs"

So I reiterate, if you need onions and eggs to enjoy your caviar, ask for a pack of peanuts instead and leave the stuff to the ones who truly know how to appreciate quality.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 9:25 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Ummm..
JFK-HKG on 19 May on 747
it is served with things like onion, eggyork, etc... some 5-6 "sides" with.
HKG-ACK on 27 May on Airbus
it is served only with mayo and toast.

Maybe the plane or orgin issue?

BTW, I am writing my trip report... oh my god... I am thinking my F flights everytime I am in coach and dreaming about the Wing everytime I am in other lounges.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 10:21 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shout:
Caviar was eaten by those who truly enjoyed it and it was done so in the purest way...

Now it is a status symbol very costly and consumed by people who love it and those who don't...the melba toast, egg, and onions started when those who couldn't eat caviar in its pure form, added it to tone down the taste of the "fish eggs"

So I reiterate, if you need onions and eggs to enjoy your caviar, ask for a pack of peanuts instead and leave the stuff to the ones who truly know how to appreciate quality.
</font>
And lemmy hazard a guess-- that would be you??

Do you think anyone here is buying that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.