Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Mattress trial in JCL to LGW and ORD this month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

Hi everyone, just a heads up, those flying to LGW and ORD this month will be in for a treat again. CX is trialling mattresses once again on these two routes and seeking passenger feedback. (Sadly, I am flying AA on my TPAC this month, so no pictures this time!)

As I got the chance to experience it previously, the mattress is really one of the parts of the JCL trial that shone through the most. It is a lot more sturdy and comfortable than many other competitor offerings. The most unique thing is it attaches to the seat in a way that it holds for all recline angles, and you do not need to remove it up until arrival at the gate. Hopefully this time it will work and get rolled out!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:33 pm

Finally it comes. The mattress by JAL and ANA was impressive, wish to see CX offer this on all route with LH product
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
I think we'll see a full rollout across the board for mattresses in J, Hogg seems to be interested in restoring some of the "premium" nature and almost all of the competition have had them for some time.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: CX Gold
What does these mattresses look like? I’ve flown J with CX, KE and QR, but there were no mattresses offered.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You can see the mattress in this video

Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sxc
Wonderful! And now we all have his email address...
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
This is surely welcoming, as the fabrics on CX seats are not that comfortable to sleep IMO. And mattress should not attract as much criticism from FA as the dine on demand I suppose?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
I think we'll see a full rollout across the board for mattresses in J, Hogg seems to be interested in restoring some of the "premium" nature and almost all of the competition have had them for some time.
Agreed. Hogg seems different already. Another thing I noticed is hot meals back on TPE afternoon flights instead of the pastry. I had it myself last week and heard similar from crew. The pastry thing still exists on some flights so it's not gone, and frankly it's junk food which I kinda prefer to a hot meal, but I realize it is really low cost behavior to be serving rubbery microwave pizza muffins in a cardboard box ... With enough garbage ingredients and filler to literally fill up the entire side of said carboard box in size 6 font - to people paying through the nose for a premium airline.

I am very excited to hear about the mattress pad. I never had an issue, but this will indeed cause me to stop asking for a separate duvet....which I normally use as a makeshift (and not great) mattress pad.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Constant flow of acronyms and abbreviations to learn. I am guessing that JCL means Business Class. Used to be that just J was enough.

I flew J to ORD on Nov 1. Mattress was nice. And no DOD!

Flight was very empty in J... maybe 20-30. F was maybe 3.

Meh service, even when empty. SMH
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:59 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by QRC3288

I am very excited to hear about the mattress pad. I never had an issue, but this will indeed cause me to stop asking for a separate duvet....which I normally use as a makeshift (and not great) mattress pad.
In the meanwhile, try asking for PEY blanket next time. Similar comfort, a lot less stuffy and heat-trapping. (suggested by some helpful crew I flew with!)
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
In the meanwhile, try asking for PEY blanket next time. Similar comfort, a lot less stuffy and heat-trapping. (suggested by some helpful crew I flew with!)
Thanks, that's great advice. Recently tried it on a SYD-HKG daytime flight. Actually does make it much easier to sleep.

Is CX still doing trial runs of the mattresses?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Is CX still doing trial runs of the mattresses?
I flew HKG to ORD about 1 month ago, and no mattress. I even asked, and was told no.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I flew HKG to ORD about 1 month ago, and no mattress. I even asked, and was told no.
​​​​​​Flew out of LAX last month and asked and was also told not available.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by gpeso8
​​​​​​Flew out of LAX last month and asked and was also told not available.
To be fair, LAX was never one of the destinations which had the DoD and mattress pad trial...
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by SilverChris

To be fair, LAX was never one of the destinations which had the DoD and mattress pad trial...
One can dream

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.