Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New MPC club points chart effective 8 Dec 17 for CXKA

New MPC club points chart effective 8 Dec 17 for CXKA

Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Make your pick everyone. Do we want more PRC based flyers in the Pier F, or grAAbbers and grASbbers? Well, at least the former is contributing to revenue...
If they are smart, there will be more PRC based grAAbers....
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: MP, BR
This is quite pointless. Fliers who left CX after the last revamp will not come back just because there are more points for the Y/PEY fares. Premium flyers on CX technically loses from these changes because they are not getting anymore CP while others will.

Whatever CX wants to achieve (more Green members? bring back Y/PEY folks that left CX?), it could've been done by either lowering the threshold for Green renewal, or giving more points, but not both.

The changes won't change my flight choices. I travel for leisure mostly and will be close to Silver every year, but never have incentives to make a run for it.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
First, let's be honest: these changes were necessary. No, I don't fly Y or PEY long-haul (although I do sometimes buy regional PEY tickets), but it was idiotic to punish the higher-yielding Y and PEY fliers. I don't think any Diamond member based in Hong Kong could argue with a straight face that it's fair to exclude those people from the CX lounges and hopefully this mints a few more GOs and yes DMs because of it. I could care less if we have more actually loyal CX fliers / payers in the lounges they deserve it.

Second, if I'm nitpicking. I can see a *lot* of new DM members being minted. I already fly at a clip of about 2,500-3,600 CP/year, although last year I burned award points to avoid going much over 1,800, when I can issue a companion GO. I also fly plenty of CX's competitors. I fly J and F long-haul, and generally J and now some PEY short-haul (and btw regional PEY is fantastic for a few hours). What this means for me is I will hit 1,800 points faster. And realistically, unless CX sweetens MPC it probably means I might burn more award points and spend less?! Just a little bit here is the logic.

This year, I've done about 1,500 CP in just shy of 6 months. I'm already actively trying to burn award tickets and fly competitors but even then, it looks virtually impossible for me not to do 1,800 points in 7-8 months.

Next year, if I did the identical flying patterns of this year, it would've been impossible for me not to hit that 1,800 level 1-2 months faster. Aka, I would've hit 1,800 CP in about 5-6 months under the new points regime. The reason is I've done a lot of regional J flying, including some in C and J. As well as some regional sectors in W class. I guess my question is, what's next?

I'm not arguing too hard here, just curious for others' thinking. First, I think a lot of corporate travelers will make it to DM even easier. Although DM ain't an easy program by the standards of Oneworld Emerald, it is still fairly "easy" for anyone at a HK financial firm with a J / F class travel package to hit DM since you are rewarded for biz flights. This will make it even easier for them to score DM.

Second, I'd love to see some additional incentives for 2,400...aka double DM. I've already seen my own patterns shift to "try and hit 1,200 points" to "try and hit 1,800" points once they added the mid-tier incentives. A 2,400 level would make me keep spending on CX I think.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
If CX takes out those lounge passes at 1400....I might just try aiming higher...but right now I'm happy with 1200 CP.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

@QRC3288 too bad they didn't take the opportunity to fix the membership period nonsense for the Gold Companion card.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by leungti1
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...club-news.html

*Basically, CX gives you more points for short-haul flights across the board. This is probably where CX faces the most competition from budget airlines. For long-haul, only Y and PEY will earn more points, no change for J/F which is disappointing.

Our core philosophy at the Marco Polo Club is to offer a premium travel experience and personal recognition to our valued members.

We continue to improve our offerings to ensure that the club evolves to meet members’ travel needs. In response to recent feedback, we are announcing greater rewards with the following adjustments to our programme.

More club points everywhere we fly
For flights departing from 8 December 2017 onward, you'll earn more club points on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flights across all distance zones in selected fare classes.* Whatever your next milestone – renewal, upgrade or mid-tier benefit – it will be easier to reach, so you can continue to enjoy a range of privileges and benefits.

What does this mean for you?
• If you fly regional within Asia, there will be an additional 5 to 10 club points per sector across most fare classes in all cabins – Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First. This includes ultra-short and short-haul flights from Hong Kong to such popular destinations as Taipei, Shanghai and Tokyo.

• If you fly long-haul and ultra-long-haul routes in Economy and Premium Economy, you'll earn an additional 10 to 15 club points per sector. That includes flights from Hong Kong to London, Los Angeles and New York – plus our newest destinations to begin next year, including Dublin, Copenhagen and Brussels.

• If you fly Economy low-fare classes (S, N, Q), you'll earn an additional 5 to 20 club points per sector on most routes.
The way you earn club points and your tier privileges will stay the same – except you'll earn more. To view the new club points earning grid, and to calculate how many more club points you'll earn after the changes, please visit our website.
Interesting, some wording in my email is different. What do yours say?

More club points everywhere we fly
For flights departing from 8 December 2017 onward, you'll earn more club points on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flights across all distance zones in selected fare classes.* Based on your recent travel history, these changes make it likely that you can upgrade your status from Gold to Diamond and enjoy a new level of benefits and privileges.

Edit: Currently GO just short of 600, guessing would have ended up somewhere around 900 by the End of my membership year.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:02 pm

This feels like an admission that their changes last year have damaged their business. We mostly said that at the time but they didn't listen, and for some members this new change is too little too late. That said, at least Cathay is belatedly recognising its poor judgment and trying to fix it.
hew204 and feh like this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Cathay, BA, UA
Green Card - 20 club points to renew... oh well... Should I expect more time in check-in counter outports as the old days more low Green Members in line?

It seems that more easier to achieve silver for economy flyers. And recently ex-HKG they encourage people to travel Y with additional miles, nothing for J/F travels...with that price to pay.

BA,AA,AY,IB, all other OW programme will give you extra avios, points, miles for flying their own airline (or they JV partners in some case), why CX MPC simply never give you any extra miles, but charging extra.

I will just keep flying other OW members then, CX price is never that competitive anyway.
Hottub Cowboy likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
This feels like an admission that their changes last year have damaged their business. We mostly said that at the time but they didn't listen, and for some members this new change is too little too late. That said, at least Cathay is belatedly recognising its poor judgment and trying to fix it.
Correct. That's what this measure is. It's an admission that they were foolish in designing the old program, which hit higher-yielding Y and PEY pax way too hard.

The "problem" now, IMO is it's way too easy to hit Diamond for corporate-style travelers. It already is easy but this just made it easier.

But anyway, needed improvements.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Chromie25
This is quite pointless. Fliers who left CX after the last revamp will not come back just because there are more points for the Y/PEY fares. Premium flyers on CX technically loses from these changes because they are not getting anymore CP while others will.

Whatever CX wants to achieve (more Green members? bring back Y/PEY folks that left CX?), it could've been done by either lowering the threshold for Green renewal, or giving more points, but not both.

The changes won't change my flight choices. I travel for leisure mostly and will be close to Silver every year, but never have incentives to make a run for it.
This is exactly what I mean but much better worded.^
I can agree on the changes for the bottom fare class row (SNQ), but sweetening band 1-2 and ignoring long haul premium cabins is just puzzling. Well, since DI is unchanged and R is sweetened, does CX want me to buy R instead of DI to get my $ per CP's worth? And I still feel sorry for those that do the marginalized routes like DXB and LAX.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:14 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I'm actually ok with the changes since I'm mainly a regional Y/PEY flyer with upgrade awards, and the rare I class fare. I've been struggling to maintain gold but the new changes will make it easier for me to obtain the renewal.

I'm not sure how I feel about the green renewal but at least green card holders have their own line at boarding so I don't think this will affect me.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

The 20 points for Green membership is a reversion to the old 4 sector requirement since each sector is a minimum of 5 club points.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
And I still feel sorry for those that do the marginalized routes like DXB and LAX.

That explains why I've been near SL every year for the past couple of years! That plus me choosing *A over OW for my other trips.

@sxc, good point about the 4 sector requirement. CX admits its mistake!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:36 pm

This is a very positive change!

High yielding Y passengers have an incentive to choose CX over others
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
The 20 points for Green membership is a reversion to the old 4 sector requirement since each sector is a minimum of 5 club points.
Which CX never (or almost never) enforced anyways

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.