Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-HKG-SIN in J strategy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
SFO-HKG-SIN in J strategy

Hi all,
I'm making my first long haul CX J flight this week and looking for some tips to make the most of the flight.

I'm on CX873 / CX691 out and CX690 / CX892 for the return.

From what I read it seems like the best approach is to sleep on the way out and experience the meal service etc on the return. With this in mind I think I'll go for the light meal on CX873 (assuming this is served straight after take off), sleep, then either have breakfast on board or in the Pier at HKG. I assume there will also be a meal service on CX691 but not as "full" as it's a short haul flight.

Will CX690 receive a lunch service and CX892 receive a dinner service?

Any tips appreciated.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
1) CX690 in lunch service.

2) CX892 is dinner on takeoff, and breakfast before landing.

3) Visit our J Class Menus 2017 thread here. I can't recall if we have CX892, but ask Carfield (our resident FT expert on food on board, and the fellow who painstakingly puts together those threads) which flights mirror CX892 if we don't. CX often uses the same menu for a few flights. Search for "menus". Fyi, there is also a thread for 2016 and 2015, fyi. You can use those to get a feel.

4) Pier J is the best lounge to use if you have time.

5) CX892 is most likely, although not guaranteed, to go from either Gates 1-4 or 15-19. That is closest to the Wing J and Qantas lounge. Qantas is nicer.

6) for your outbound, a fellow has an almost identical question to you live right now. Look for the thread on the front page of the CX forum called "questions from a long haul rookie".

7. On your outbound SFO to HKG, it is supper (abbreviated dinner) on takeoff and a massive breakfast before landing. There are a fee la carte snacks in between, as well as chips and fruit and whatnot setup in the galley. Cx691 is breakfast but not as good as the longhaul or lounges.

8. When searching the menu threads, cx893 and cx873 are menu pairs. Aka same menu. So if we only have one of the two in the menu thread it will still be relevant.

9. Search around here. Check the FAQ, the very top threads at the top which is a sticky. Note the wiki at the very top which you must expand to see. It is very useful and a good place to start getting your bearings.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
CX873 is long enough for you to enjoy the entire meal service after takeoff and still have lots of time to sleep. No need to opt for the light meal option unless you like what's on offer or really want to get ~10-11 hours of sleep.

I personally try to wake up just as breakfast service is starting. Or better still, slightly after it's started, have everything at one go, and change for landing. It's not exciting enough to sacrifice sleep for, especially since you'll be having one or two more breakfasts in the lounge and the onward flight!

If you wake up too early you might have a tough time pulling through the day.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Please, please, please don't have any expectations of food onboard whatsoever!!

873 gets supper and full breakfast. 'Supper' is a particularly sad affair and I actually sort of like the light meal option as you get soup. Whereas the 'full' (which is anything but in reality) service gets you a bowl of hummus/dips that you will find rather shocking compared to what you get in BA J!

Breakfast at The Pier sounds like the way to go. 691 has a full breakfast - actually it is the '5-piece' breakfast that one wouldn't get on HK-Europe/JNB flights. By 5-piece it means there is fruit as a proper appetizer, smoothie, juice, cereals and yogurt before the main. Again, more than likely the Pier food will still be miles better.

690 is lunch service, and on 892 you will get a full dinner after take off, a hearty selection of made to order snacks on request after that, followed by a full (5-piece) breakfast before landing. You can still sleep well!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:00 pm

All HKG-SIN flight has proper meal service, including those red-eyes.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:54 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by QRC3288
1) CX690 in lunch service.

4) Pier J is the best lounge to use if you have time.

5) CX892 is most likely, although not guaranteed, to go from either Gates 1-4 or 15-19. That is closest to the Wing J and Qantas lounge. Qantas is nicer.

From what I understand, OP's a BAEM so Pier F > Wing F in this case. If he has a >G40 arrival then it doesnt matter if CX892 will depart from <G20.

In that case definitely try to eat Breakfast on ground at HKG instead of in the flight, gives you more rest as well.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Each one has different body clock and preferences.
SFO-HKG is a very long flight (near 15). You will have plenty of time to sleep.
CX J food is not fantastic but it passes time while watching a movie. If you are on SFO time, the timing is not bad for supper/dinner.Anyway meal service noise will make it difficult to sleep during service. Regarding breakfast it all depends if you are sleeping when they serve it. if not you will probably be hungry.
As BA Emerald, you will have access to the F lounges. Go the lounge near you. For food, my preference goes to F wing with a combination of buffet and a la carte.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Surprised to hear that CX J food isn't up to BA's low standards!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by goodison
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Surprised to hear that CX J food isn't up to BA's low standards!
for breakfast ex-USA, the gang is being harsh.

CX's mains suck. But breakfast ex-North America for the early morning arrivals is probably what they do best, simply due to the abundance. Fresh OJ, smoothies, choice of cereals, yogurt, fruit, breads (always including hot croissants and usually including bagels, albeit not great ones, ex-NA), and a big main. It's a serious affair. I'm a big critic of CX's F&B but ex-North America early morning arrival breakfasts really cannot be strongly criticized. The dim sum is just about as good as you'll find on an airplane, I'll add. Sure it's not hardly up to on-the-ground standards but it destroys the garbage I've had for "dim sum" on other carriers.

Aka, on CX893 I think you'll have a perfectly satisfactory F&B offering. Supper, which half the plane doesn't eat anyway, snacks (get the burger or noodles) who are good, and then a huge breakfast course.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Everyone has different strategies for managing flights. Personally I sleep when I'm tired, eat when I'm hungry.

Trying to force your body clock onto the arrival time doesn't work for everyone and you could find yourself wide awake when you're 'supposed' to be asleep, and then overtired when you're supposed to be awake. Doesn't end up well.

If I arrive at my destination early in the day and need a nap I take one. But if arriving afternoon, early evening I try and stay awake until the correct bed time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.