Downgrade due to equipment swap on SFO-HKG tonight

Old Oct 28, 17, 10:40 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
Downgrade due to equipment swap on SFO-HKG tonight

I have an AS award for sfo-hkg tonight in F. Looks like an equipment swap to a non-F config this morning, it still showed F yesterday. On hold with CX still.

What kind of downgrade comp should I ask for? There’s space on the LAX flights tonight, should I ask for that instead?
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 10:55 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
Called CX who refused to offer downgrade compensation.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 11:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Germany/UK/Australia
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 177
Why shoukd CX offer compensation, you are on a ticket issued by AS - call them!
AussieDreaming is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 11:27 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
Originally Posted by AussieDreaming View Post
Why shoukd CX offer compensation, you are on a ticket issued by AS - call them!
Spoke to AS who says they canít do anything about it.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 11:47 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: MNL / SFO / NYC
Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Posts: 533
I would ask for the miles difference of F vs J from AS
TravelwhileyouEat is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 11:53 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat View Post
I would ask for the miles difference of F vs J from AS
Iíll have to HUACA with them. Iím on a VX flight now.

Iíd rather get rerouted on tonightís LAX flight but CX isnít releasing any awards to partners even though itís F3.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 12:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: MH, AC, AS
Posts: 1,645
Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
Iíll have to HUACA with them. Iím on a VX flight now.

Iíd rather get rerouted on tonightís LAX flight but CX isnít releasing any awards to partners even though itís F3.
Do you have an onward intra-Asia flight in F? That might be why they're reluctant to refund the difference.

You might get more help if this thread is in the AS forum, since that's the airline you have to deal with
SilverChris is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 12:40 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
Do you have an onward intra-Asia flight in F? That might be why they're reluctant to refund the difference.

You might get more help if this thread is in the AS forum, since that's the airline you have to deal with
Onward is HKG-AKL in J.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 1:29 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
Got a voicemail from Cathay offering $390. I assume she meant USD.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 2:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SOF, ORD
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 806
On day of travel, CX should or definitely could take control of the ticket and reroute you through LAX, the issue will be the SFO-LAX segment. If CX is rerouting you, they'll probably be putting you on an AA flight. Alternatively, ask CX to release an award seat in F to AS for the LA flight and have AS modify your reservation. That is unless you are willing to accept the offer CX made.
Phoenixtinct is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 3:22 pm
  #11  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,546
As departure is under 24 hours, the problem is no longer with AS unless you want to get miles back but even then, it would be handled after travel. This is CX's problem.

It's a bit late now but if it was earlier during the day, time permitting, I would have showed up at SFO for their 1330 departure not to get on that flight but talk to CX airport staff about reroute.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 28, 17 at 3:30 pm
seawolf is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 4:13 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
As departure is under 24 hours, the problem is no longer with AS unless you want to get miles back but even then, it would be handled after travel. This is CX's problem.

It's a bit late now but if it was earlier during the day, time permitting, I would have showed up at SFO for their 1330 departure not to get on that flight but talk to CX airport staff about reroute.
I did exactly that. Check in staff refused to reroute through LAX. I even offered to make my own way down there.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 4:17 pm
  #13  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,546
Thatís pretty bad that CX wasnít willing to do that. So the only option that gave you was the downgrade? I assume you escalated up to the station manager.
seawolf is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 4:42 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ROC/NYC/MSP/LAX/HKG/SIN
Programs: AA 1.67MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Posts: 3,146
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Thatís pretty bad that CX wasnít willing to do that. So the only option that gave you was the downgrade? I assume you escalated up to the station manager.
It's much less expensive to offer compensation than routing him to AA and CX combo, which requires CX to reissue the ticket stock that involves paying AA same day flight down to HKG. The fact that it is a AS mileage ticket makes OP a very little to none leverage in terms of IRROPs or equipment change.

OP, are you still AA PLT or CX Silver?
PaulInTheSky is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 5:01 pm
  #15  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,546
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky View Post
It's much less expensive to offer compensation than routing him to AA and CX combo, which requires CX to reissue the ticket stock that involves paying AA same day flight down to HKG. The fact that it is a AS mileage ticket makes OP a very little to none leverage in terms of IRROPs or equipment change.

OP, are you still AA PLT or CX Silver?
That wasn't what OP or I are referring to.

OP was willing to get himself to LAX and just needed CX to change CX SFO-HKG to CX LAX-HKG; wasn't going to cost CX anything. There are two LAX-HKG flights tonight and they are still selling F.
seawolf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread