Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

AA EXP (OWE) Benefits / AsiaMiles Earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GOLD

I have a roundtrip coming up, flying PEK-HKG-DEL. I'm an AA EXP, which means I have OWE status and am eager to use the first class lounge in HKG.

However, I'm booked on an economy (M) ticket that doesn't earn miles on AAdvantage.

Do you have suggestions for how I can still get my OWE benefits on both of my HKG layovers while crediting to AsiaMiles?

My thought is that I'll check in with my AA # in PEK, then ask to switch to Asiamiles at the gate in PEK. I'll do the same on my return. In case it matters, I value having access to the first lounge more than I value the mileage earning.

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
You could simply show your AA card at the lounge and get access. No need to change if that's the only OWE benefit you are seeking. There are reports claiming it is no longer allowed. See discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l-allowed.html

Note that AM expires in 3 years, regardless of qualifying activities.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Oct 24, 2017 at 2:46 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
You could simply show your AA card at the lounge and get access. No need to change if that's the only OWE benefit you are seeking. There are reports claiming it is no longer allowed. See discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l-allowed.html

Note that AM expires in 3 years, regardless of qualifying activities.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm thinking I'll just leave my FF # blank, and add it at the lounge if I need to.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by bspahn
Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm thinking I'll just leave my FF # blank, and add it at the lounge if I need to.
you will miss out on potential op ups and/or seat assignment benefits. i would just ask number to change after flight is closed at lounge.

whilst i expect to fly in class paid, it is well known CX is prone to oversell. as OWE you stand spme chance which is probably more worthy than petty few k asiamiles
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:48 am

Maybe you could keep your AA# on the reservation and enjoy the benefit your status brings you and claimed the "missing miles" through AM later on. That should be fine as long as the miles have never been claimed and accrued to any FFP before since M class is not eligible for earning miles on AA
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidtai
Maybe you could keep your AA# on the reservation and enjoy the benefit your status brings you and claimed the "missing miles" through AM later on. That should be fine as long as the miles have never been claimed and accrued to any FFP before since M class is not eligible for earning miles on AA
This would be excellent, but has anyone tried this and it worked?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by bspahn
This would be excellent, but has anyone tried this and it worked?
Yes, while I was running up to DM. CX MPC on BP and handled lady in lounge my AA OWE card. Have heard rumblings that it can be agent specific though.

Worst case - At check in have AA OWE as FFP on BP, use the lounge, and then switch at gate to whatever you want to accrue to. Note that special seats and op up's will be impacted though if program changed to is less than what was originally on your BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.