Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Singapore Terminal 4 and lounge experiences

Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Ausbt review of Singapore T4 lounge:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-singapore-changi-terminal-4-business-class-lounge
Print Wikipost

Singapore Terminal 4 and lounge experiences

Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Checking in night before, flying CX from T4, paid transit hotel already.
I think you will be fine TBH.
I would just try to get in via T2 (I have done both T3 and T2).
Things are semi negotiable over at SIN especially for a reasonable and logical request. Just explain to the guard and if necessary call the supervisor - said you paid for the hotel etc (even better if it was before CX moved to T4!).
Failing which you can try the other terminals.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:12 am

It is just that Terminal 4 got a CLEAR disadvantage over all the other 3 terminals and our favorite airline chose to operate from there.

(Audio)
royng likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Gold, DL Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Thumbs down

The lounge was really a great disappointment.....
The worst thing of the lounge was the limited selection of non-alcoholic drinks. There were only soft drinks, tea and coffee.... I think it's essential for CX to include a bar in all their lounges. I'm a person who doesn't like noodles and cannot drink wine. To me, getting a glass of Cathay Delight from the bar is far more important that having a terrible bowl of laksa from the so called "signature noodle bar". The new CX lounge is actually of the same level of the Dnata Lounge in T1...

The face recognition boarding system was totally useless. In fact, no one used it. Ground staff kept inviting passengers to use those machines but most passengers just simply ignored them and used the traditional boarding.

It was really a downgrade for CX to use T4... In T1, passengers could at least use the QF and BA lounges
royng likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i arrive to T4 on cx and connect to AY flight from T1 on same day but 7hr later. i am hoping that bags get checked thru at hk but preparing for all contiengency. if my bags do get checked to final destination, but without boarding pass for AY flight on seperate PNR (is it even possible bags get loaded without boarding pass?) can i do airside T4 to T1? what do i show? eticket? or bag check slips?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
My thoughts of T4 and CX Lounge,,,,,
I finally made it to Singapore new T4 in Dec. for the first time since it inaugurated. Was so excited but the excitement soon dies off..... Beside the fancy high tech gadgets. I am more into functionality.

T4
Only three words to describe....... Walk Walk Walk, for both inbound/outbound flight. For my flight into and outbound both are in G21 except a inbound of AK in Gate 16. It's hell of a walk from exiting aircraft to Immigration(10-15 mins walk) and to be picked up by Door 2 or 3(Another 10-15 mins walk). It's like more than half a mile, seriously, one end of T4(G21) to the other end. There's limited walkway(2X) or should I say no walkway as those walkway are design to bypass a gate, that gate must be for high passenger load aircraft. The concept to me is like a Mall. It's for you to shop and not to rest, very limited seating. If you are tired and like to be by the gate to rest. Be early or you are run out of limited seats. As a consolation, CX starts boarding as specified @ 09:20 for a 10:00 flight. If there's delay, imagine 300 passengers gathering around the gate with less than 40 seats available and bare in mind there will be seats used by hand carry's. CX flight is always full, at least 90% for SIN - BKK/HKG sector or vice verse. Even my flight on AK from KUL is 100% full although it's a smaller aircraft. And wait till T4 is fully utilized with more airlines using T4 and most gates being used. I will hope CX will be able to park closing to G10/G11? If space is the real concept, then in T1, they can remove all the walkway in the center, remove the security check before each gate and more than half of the seating by the gate. There you will have space, well can't do much about the height. Maybe I'm getting old. In 10 years or less, if I go SIN, I will request for wheelchair support.
Passing through Immigration the first time in T4, I was 'shouted' for not moving more inner to allow the gate to close.before moving back to the Finger scanner and camera. Gee, my instinct by default tells me to go directly in front of the finger scanner/camera and the officer. The officer told me I should have read the cardboard on top of her table. I guess she must be frustrated by many passenger for doing the same as i. All I can say, bad design. They should have place the finger scanner/camera and the officer away from the gate or the gate away from the scanner/camera and the officer.

CX Lounge
CX lounge is fine, very similar to the lounge in BKK. No complain. SIN is not a hub for CX's passenger to transit, therefore I don't see shower as an essential. All noodles(including Laksa) are available and so are others hot food for my 10 am flight. I'm wondering about the earlier flight if they have the same choices. The only thing I hope for is CX will park closer to the lounge, like G11. Conclusion for the lounge, I like it very much and hope it will not be too crowded in the future. It was like 30% full on Boxing day.

Last edited by JohnGreat; Jan 5, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
I doubt that CX will be able to park their widebodies at the gates closer to the lounge. On my flight out of T4 on Saturday, the nearest gates to the lounge were occupied by Silkair (???!) planes which were not in service.

FYI - there is no Moet in the fridge before 11am (Dryjanuary perhaps?). But if you ask the matron server nicely, she will sneak you a glass from the galley.

The noodle bar ordering system is still hopeless. Lots of missed orders even early in the morning.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Alawyer
On my flight out of T4 on Saturday, the nearest gates to the lounge were occupied by Silkair (???!) planes which were not in service.
At Changi it's not uncommon for airlines to park their planes at terminals they don't operate from, especially SQ/MI. I've seen SQ/MI planes at T1 plenty of times, so I'm guessing they're continuing this practice with T4.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:14 pm

What happens to T1->T4 connection to CX flight on seperate ticket where bags not checked to HKG but holding CX boarding pass (printed, etc)

SIN airport website says (In Transit, Hotel, City Tour - Singapore Changi Airport
"Please proceed to your nearest transfer lounge/ counter. At the transfer lounge, you may refer to the Transfer Information Passenger Display System (TIPDS) to find out which transfer counter you can request for your checked-in bags to be transferred to your departing flight."

It sounds like after arriving on T1, transit pax can remain air-side in T1 and there is a CX transfer desk where I can ask them to pick up my bag from carosel and they will retag it to HKG? I don't see how that's possible? Anyone done it.

I have a long-haul arriving to SIN from Europe and wish to use QF lounge in T1 before boarding my T4 CX flight. But the only way seems like
1) exit T1 immigration on arrival and claim bag
2) take T2-T4 shuttle bus to T4
3) Check-in the bags at T4
BUT from here, it sounds like I can either go back T2 to exit Singapore immigration (some success/non success story) so I can use T1, or I need to clear SIN immigration at T4 but not sure how I can access T2 with my boarding pass which is for T4 (the "change in rule" someone mentioned)

so much for easiest airport to transit! NOT!!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fakecd
What happens to T1->T4 connection to CX flight on seperate ticket where bags not checked to HKG but holding CX boarding pass (printed, etc)
If you don't have to go landside for bag transfer (i.e. TIPDS works)
Then you don't leave the T1/T2/T3 restricted area til its time to board your flight

You arrive in the T1/T2/T3 restricted area (comingled)
Use your CX onward BP to get into T1 QF
Then walk over to T2 Gate 51 and transfer to T4 restricted area (segregated)

If you do have to go landside for bag transfer (TIPDS doesn't work)
You visit T1 QF first
Then go landside and pick up bag
Then use landside T2-T4 bus
Then enter restricted area from T4

What may be tricky after my friend's data point above is entering restricted area from T2 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29244947
If the T2 man with the gun says no, it has never happened before, I'm not sure if you can change his mind even with my photos from 10 Dec.

But then you can visit QF before going landside to stop the T2 man with the gun giving you problems
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:15 am

Talking

Originally Posted by percysmith
If you don't have to go landside for bag transfer (i.e. TIPDS works)
Then you don't leave the T1/T2/T3 restricted area til its time to board your flight
If you do have to go landside for bag transfer (TIPDS doesn't work)
But then you can visit QF before going landside to stop the T2 man with the gun giving you problems
How does "TIPDS" work or not be known before hand? Besides my feeling is the display will tell me I need to approach CX transfer desk to ask the airport to locate my bags in T1 and move to T4. Something tells me CX desk who handle this is only at T4? (so it's like chicken or egg situation).....if I choose to pick up bags myself, I'm aware of option of using QF lounge for shower / meal first then clear immigratino. But that leaves my bags hanging at arrival carasosl for good 2hours and i'mt not sure if that's optimal either.

So ideal situation is pick my bags up myself and go to T4 to check-in..so I guess main point is, once airside T4 (assuming I exit Sing @ T4) i'm not sure if I'm technically allowed airside sterlie transfer from T4 to T2? Can I argue I want to do shopping at T1/2/3 (hey that could work if you say u are shopping and give them more revenue...)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:30 am

How does "TIPDS" work or not be known before hand?
Actually (in the specific case of Singapore) try the CX baggage agent Dnata https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...etails.SG.html . I spoke to them when I lost a small camera component on my 8/12 inbound flight and even though they didn't locate it (it's a accessory bayonet bracket - probably too hard) their call centre ain't too bad.

Besides my feeling is the display will tell me I need to approach CX transfer desk to ask the airport to locate my bags in T1 and move to T4. Something tells me CX desk who handle this is only at T4? (so it's like chicken or egg situation).....
I think Dnata still has presence in T1. Again, ask their call centre to see if they can confirm or deny.

if I choose to pick up bags myself, I'm aware of option of using QF lounge for shower / meal first then clear immigratino. But that leaves my bags hanging at arrival carasosl for good 2hours and i'mt not sure if that's optimal either.
Ask Dnata what they do with a 2 hour bag? I suspect it'd still be retained at the baggage services desk as if passenger is presumably detained by ICA SG?

Can I argue I want to do shopping at T1/2/3 (hey that could work if you say u are shopping and give them more revenue...)
I'm not sure if my friend namedropped Irvins

But if the T2 man with the gun insists on a stamp, namedropping Irvins/Charles & Keith/even Chanel isn't really gonna move him, is it?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
How does "TIPDS" work or not be known before hand? Besides my feeling is the display will tell me I need to approach CX transfer desk to ask the airport to locate my bags in T1 and move to T4. Something tells me CX desk who handle this is only at T4? (so it's like chicken or egg situation).....if I choose to pick up bags myself, I'm aware of option of using QF lounge for shower / meal first then clear immigratino. But that leaves my bags hanging at arrival carasosl for good 2hours and i'mt not sure if that's optimal either.

So ideal situation is pick my bags up myself and go to T4 to check-in..so I guess main point is, once airside T4 (assuming I exit Sing @ T4) i'm not sure if I'm technically allowed airside sterlie transfer from T4 to T2? Can I argue I want to do shopping at T1/2/3 (hey that could work if you say u are shopping and give them more revenue...)
Some tips:
1. You will need to check with DNATA on whether CX still maintains a presence at T1 Concourse D. I have seen a transit desk at T4 (just after you arrive on the shuttle bus. But it was not manned).

2. Going from where you are in T1 to T4 would take ~30 mins each way (more if you are arriving from the C gates!). So you will be wasting 1 hour just going to T4, then coming back to T2/T1.

3. If T2 guy does not let you in, then try T3 / T1. YMMV.

4. If you just go visit the QF lounge first and are late to collect your bags, that is not a problem, your baggage will get transferred to the lost luggage counter around the corner from the belt - if you notice - they have heaps of luggage stacked around at that office (I have done this a long time ago - went to visit a priority lounge to get a shower prior to retrieving my bags).

5. Some dodgy blogger said that it was possible to go Airside T4 to T1. I have not tried that. Maybe you can try if you want to do that.

6. If you taking AY -> CX, don't think AY will through check your bags unfortunately.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by ermen
2. Going from where you are in T1 to T4 would take ~30 mins each way (more if you are arriving from the C gates!). So you will be wasting 1 hour just going to T4, then coming back to T2/T1...

...5. Some dodgy blogger said that it was possible to go Airside T4 to T1. I have not tried that. Maybe you can try if you want to do that.
Took me 23 mins from T2 Gate 51 to T4 Gate 21 excluding lounge detour so I don't doubt your 30 minute claim.

(5): T1 arrival, exit landside and pick up baggage --> (landside) T4 Check in, re-enter restricted area --> (airside transfer) T4-T2-T1 --> (airside transfer) T1-T2-T4 <-- That's like 2 hours - if lounge hops earn club miles...?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
My thoughts of T4 and CX Lounge,,,,,
I finally made it to Singapore new T4 in Dec. for the first time since it inaugurated. Was so excited but the excitement soon dies off..... Beside the fancy high tech gadgets. I am more into functionality.

T4
Only three words to describe....... Walk Walk Walk, for both inbound/outbound flight.
<snip>
I will hope CX will be able to park closing to G10/G11? If space is the real concept, then in T1, they can remove all the walkway in the center, remove the security check before each gate and more than half of the seating by the gate. There you will have space, well can't do much about the height. Maybe I'm getting old. In 10 years or less, if I go SIN, I will request for wheelchair support.
Not a chance they will move. Unfortunately G18-21 are the widebody gates. So I suppose if Cathay Dragon ever comes to Singapore, completing the transition of CX to a LCC, then maybe...

T4 sucks. There's no two ways about it in my book. All shine and no substance. Fancy scanners which take longer than the old ones and generate lots of false positives, walks without moving walkways (seriously, WHY!? That was the absolute easiest thing to figure out in any user experience, and yet they managed to screw it up). And of course the patented London Heathrow Duty Free Maze (TM)

Garbage, all round, except for having a fancy branded lounge. T4 has made me book away from CX already and will continue to do so. I feel sorry for the station manager who got saddled with this pig.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:06 am

thanks. I guess I have plenty to experiement on this. Yes AY to CX but i know AY won't do inter-line to CX on seperate ticket and i'm one of the limited fools that backtrack to HK from SIN coming from KEF for sake of status credits...

worst come to worst i would "settle" for CX longe. But assuming CX has to pay QF when I enter QF lounge on CX Business ticket (and not by virtue of my QF status) that gives me maximimum incentive for me to visit both QF and BA and any other OW lounge so CX can be charged . (but not sure by virtue of business class the operating career pay or not) I still believe move ot T4 is conspiracy by CX to avoid paying for parter lounges, so bring it on i will fight them hard. Have four hours to kill and could use a bit of walking after such long journey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.