Wiki Posts
Search

question from a long haul rookie

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by garykung
There is absolutely no way to be comfortable, even assuming you are seated in the best airplane seat.
I assume that you're just speaking for yourself, right? I routinely take 16 hour flights on my normal commute (between UTH/BKK and BOS). I find that I'm always quite comfortable, the main exception being JL, on which I don't I don't find the F seat particularly comfortable and the cabins too hot. That's undoubtedly why I haven't flown JL in a long time. A lot of my flying is in the CX F cabin, which I find very comfortable. I've been the sole occupant twice; and on both occasions the cabin crew set the temperature exactly where I wanted it. I sleep better in CX F than I do in my own bed. On QR I'm comfortable, but slightly less so due to the construction of the seat. The smaller J seat doesn't help, either.

Originally Posted by dr freeze
I have no problem putting mine on before takeoff.
I don't in case there's an evacuation. As I've said before, I don't want to find myself running across a snowy/muddy field a bit west of 27 L or R at LHR on a cold day in my PJs. Talk about making a terrible situation worse!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Love this thread as I’ve fallen into a routine myself specifically for my long haul trips. It’s great reading about everyone else’s personal habits before flying.

My Leisure travel routine:
- Pack as light as possible, only one small carry on, barely large enough for a laptop (which I rarely travel with). I always check in. Less stress, less things to worry about leaving behind.
- Because of the above, I wear extremely comfortable clothing as I plan to sleep in it. Usually sweat pants with a soft cotton T shirt. So I don’t look as scruffy, I usually have a button shirt and hoody (both for fashion but also to combat cold cabin temps).
- Do whatever I do before I normally sleep and unwind. Prepare. Shower, brush teeth etc, Podcasts. Essentially try and mimic my everyday routine.

Most importantly, my mindset has changed since I started flying J long haul. I use to dread having to sit on a plane for 15 hours. I can’t get any deep sleep, my legs fill with blood, I can’t get a good angle to rest my head, it just sucks. But now I actually look forward to the travel experience. Enjoy the hell out long haul J and you can sleep or be comfortable whenever you want!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't mind the ULH flights at all; in fact, they are almost my preference as you can sleep extensively, relax and work.

As for attire, I travel in business casual and/or a suit. For all my TATL and TPAC, I change into sweatpants and golf shirt at 10,000ft and then at 45 mins, change back into my business attire. Doesn't matter what cabin or time-of-flight. I want to be comfortable and I don't want spills/stains on my business wear.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
And definitely order the hamburger if you can eat beef midflight. It's one of the better items on CX's menu. It's a snack, which means a la carte in-between the main meal services.
Haven't flown CX in a while, but last time I ordered a midflight snack on ORD-HKG, they frowned, served it, and immediately afterwards woke everyone up and served the pre-landing meal because 'people are hungry'. I feel it was my fault; like Oliver Twist, I asked for more. As punishment, I had to eat 1.5 meals at once.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Well at least I can finally cross my trusty binoculars off the list! EK know me too well.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.