Search

J in JAL or CX?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
J in JAL or CX?

Interested to know from those who have flown both:

I am booked next month on JAL in J from PVG-HND-JFK over Thanksgiving weekend. The only bummer about this routing is that I have to overnight in HND and I'd rather be home with my family.

Today I put on hold a CX award for PVG-HKG-JFK, with no overnight stay required. I've always want to check out the CX Lounges at HKG so that's a bonus for me but it'll get me home 12 hours earlier.

So for all of you who have flown both.... what's better in terms of seat and service?

This is not a battle of airlines -- both are top notch. I'm just interested in your personal opinions. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Cx j lounge is prob better than jl c
cx food sucks
Jl ife sucks unless u understand japanese
jl drinks menu is better (at least for me)

is english(cx)/chinese(cx)/japanese(jl) language ability important for you? I dont care. The jl crew would understand me enough to get me good service.

cx prob has a better schedule but jl a shorter flight- i do not find myself being able to enjoy j on cx at 14th-16th hr

I prefer jl- cuz my other problem w cx is i get motion sickness sometimes if i sit sideways/away from pointing fwds. But i guess its not a common problem. Either seat is as comfy otherwise.

the last year n a bit they always managed to cool down the cabin when i asked on jl
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Food on JL will definitely be better than CX, but the JL seat on the 777 may feel a bit claustrophobic. Due to the 2-3-2 configuration on JL, the cabin will feel crowded, though privacy is good. One plus: PVG-HND is also lie flat, not that you need it for a 2hr flight.

CX has a 1-2-1 config on their 777 (77H). The CX seat is narrower, but longer than the JL seat. It's a bit more open and less claustrophobic than the JL seat, though still good privacy. The cabin feels very airy and open. One minus: PVG-HKG is not lie flat, not that you need it for a 3hr flight.

Service is good on both airlines.

Lounges at HKG are far better than anything at HND. If it were me, I'd take CX to avoid the overnight in HND.
Rob Lipman likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:31 pm

I think overall JL is better, all flat bed from PVG to JFK (CX regional J just sucks), Japanese-style service (great for sure, comparing to some cold FA from somewhere), food is better than CX, IFE not sure but I usually just watch my own device, however, considering the overnight stay at HND, it depends whether you think the time with family or experience during flight is more important.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CX30616
I think overall JL is better, all flat bed from PVG to JFK (CX regional J just sucks), Japanese-style service (great for sure, comparing to some cold FA from somewhere), food is better than CX, IFE not sure but I usually just watch my own device, however, considering the overnight stay at HND, it depends whether you think the time with family or experience during flight is more important.
ife gotta be cx. Unless one understands japanese then jl would be better
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
has anyone noticed that JL cabins are warmer than normal?
safari ari likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:18 pm

Lounges - CX
Short haul seat - probably JL
Long haul seat - CX
IFE - CX
Service - equal, both are very good
Food - JL unless you prefer Western food, in which case CX

So that's 3-2 in favour of CX, possibly more if you give more weighting to the seat on the long haul sector.

JL also love to keep the cabin uncomfortably hot which really puts me off them.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:21 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
ife gotta be cx. Unless one understands japanese then jl would be better
Not if you count Wi-Fi as part of the IFE
SilverChris likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Nobody. There is not a thread on that topic in the JL forum. No discussion at all.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:43 pm

If i were you, i will pick CX for sure.

Stay overnight in HND is not a good experience.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks to all! This is all really helpful. I am leaning towards CX as well, since the flight times are better for me. Wasn’t sure if I was clear, but I would stay in a hotel overnight for HND but still, I would rather not if I don’t have to. Plus I always prefer later flights on long haul so I will sleep. The HND-JFK leg is daytime.

The other issue is that I booked the JL Award on Alaska Miles, and AS has not been able to see the CX Award and neither has AA. So I am looking to book through Asiamiles which I would rather not use. It’s never perfect with this hustle. I think I’ll just pull the trigger on CX — thanks to all for your input!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Originally Posted by kaka (myself)
(snip)

the last year n a bit they always managed to cool down the cabin when i asked on jl
Originally Posted by JALPak
Not if you count Wi-Fi as part of the IFE
missed that. but u've got a point. CX 787 dont go to NYC

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Nobody. There is not a thread on that topic in the JL forum. No discussion at all.
This is funny But I since 2016 they always turned down the temperature when i asked - in Y and in C.

Originally Posted by Aus106080
If i were you, i will pick CX for sure.

Stay overnight in HND is not a good experience.
not? lol? then again, CX has better frequency for sure.
Originally Posted by yang1900
Thanks to all! This is all really helpful.
its ur trip
BTW you have a NRT option which can avoid an overnight too. (JL 4 departs 1825hrs)

AND please remember to factor time in for china's infamous delays. i think it affects JL slightly less worse than CX every time i check the board in japan.

i dont want to see complaining about asking CX for compensation for missing a meeting lol
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Lounges and frequencies are CX's strong points. IFE is better on CX, but only because JL is quite weak when it comes to English-language options.

Originally Posted by 1010101
Service - equal, both are very good
Not sure I'm able to agree with this. I find JL to be a lot more consistent (read: excellent) when it comes to service. With CX it's a luck of draw, but most of the time they just go through the motions and try to smile every now and then.

Originally Posted by 1010101
Food - JL unless you prefer Western food, in which case CX
I find JL's food to be way better than CX, regardless of cuisine and cabin. But then again, CX sets a very low bar for catering...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Lounges and frequencies are CX's strong points. IFE is better on CX, but only because JL is quite weak when it comes to English-language options.

Not sure I'm able to agree with this. I find JL to be a lot more consistent (read: excellent) when it comes to service. With CX it's a luck of draw, but most of the time they just go through the motions and try to smile every now and then.

I find JL's food to be way better than CX, regardless of cuisine and cabin. But then again, CX sets a very low bar for catering...
I agree, and there is less chance of preferential treatment on JL
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:02 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Most of us enjoy an overnight in Tokyo. It's predictably good!

On the Asia - US flight you will be asleep most of the flight in Business or First.

Yes CX lounges are superior. But JL service is very good. And JL is very prompt and reliable. Which arrives in NY at a better time?
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.