Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is CX DM more prestigious than other OWE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

CX DM is known to be one of the harder programs to attain top tier status (ie emerald) with higher spend requirements.

​​​and I have heard it does increase your social prestige if you say "I am a CX DM" versus say a "AA (or name whatever other OW program) EXP"?

Why?

​​​
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
This is going to be an interesting thread...
cysyuen likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
What exactly is "social prestige"??? lol
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
perhaps its because DMs are far less than the amount of AA EXPs
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
But it wont lead you into the private room or concord room.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think the only people who really care are CX DMs. Like other OWE statuses, there are benefits the home airline gives only to you. There are no additional benefits that CX DM earns from other OW carriers. So, I think no one, certainly not the airlines, really cares.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX DM is more valuable than OWE on CX/KA. Cannot discern any other benefits elsewhere.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think the only people who really care are CX DMs. Like other OWE statuses, there are benefits the home airline gives only to you.
Agreed, though in terms of 'secret' tiers DM+ does have a benefit that I would love to have which is accessing lounges regardless of airline flown (though I would never willingly give CX enough of my own money just to reach this).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The above post makes me want to rephrase this question...Is DM1600 more prestigious than DM? Is DMP more prestigious than DM1600? Is IN more prestigious than DMP?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'm giving up the miles-showering switching from OWE to CX DM. Because the analogy that many crew draw is that OWE are the adopted while DM are the biological kids. Of course I'm so shallow...

In reality, for someone that flies CX mostly, being DM will get you a lot of perks that can't be replicated by OWE - much better handling during IRROPS, 3888, upgrades at 1600, clearing and releasing from WL, op up, unpublished milestone/birthday upgrades, pre upgrades during OLCI, event invitations......

Whether this makes it flashy...YMMV I guess
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Is DM1600 more prestigious than DM?
Of course not....there is nothing on the card, baggage tags or boarding pass to wave around.
kaka and HarbourGent like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
DM+ does have a benefit that I would love to have which is accessing lounges regardless of airline flown.
DM used to have that benefit (J lounges only). The value of DM is far below what it was 15 years ago it seems to me.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I'm giving up the miles-showering switching from OWE to CX DM. Because the analogy that many crew draw is that OWE are the adopted while DM are the biological kids. Of course I'm so shallow...

In reality, for someone that flies CX mostly, being DM will get you a lot of perks that can't be replicated by OWE - much better handling during IRROPS, 3888, upgrades at 1600, clearing and releasing from WL, op up, unpublished milestone/birthday upgrades, pre upgrades during OLCI, event invitations......

Whether this makes it flashy...YMMV I guess
i wouldnt dispute you and i think your are right - but i dont see the social status part. what you said aside, being in the concord room is cooler than random opups, which you'd still get as a OWE - just less.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
Of course not....there is nothing on the card, baggage tags or boarding pass to wave around.
isnt 1600 where you get a partner gold card? you can then wave, she's a gifted gold! let ME thru!
sxc likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sxc
Originally Posted by kaka
isnt 1600 where you get a partner gold card? you can then wave, she's a gifted gold! let ME thru!
Haha that's at 1800, but well, DM 1600 grants you four chances to flash that 2A BP on instagram, or down those 4/8/16/whatever glasses of Krug!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.