Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is CX DM more prestigious than other OWE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is CX DM more prestigious than other OWE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by fakecd
i guess i am rare breed. i take more pride and feel the esteem being able to access CX F lounge and all associated OWE benefits by spending 1/64 of what the CX DM spent to attain same practical benefits.

bragging factor comes not from how much you spent, rather how LITTLE you spent to enjoy the similar benefits
^
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
If you say private events exclusive for MPC members in HKG, perhaps, since most of them are based in HKG. However, if you talk about a MPC member based out of HKG, I don't know how social you can be because you cannot be in HKG or see all the HKG crew all the time because of where you are based.

If your question is 'valuable', then DM can be more valuable, because CX can track how much that you spend on flying them, but IMHO, that is hard to say. People can have a lot of FFP choices when it comes to picking a specific FFP to credit the miles. There are a lot of premium fares in BA, JL, AA, QF, and etc.
For example, CX cannot even compete one of the most prestigious routes, JFK-LHR. You can say the same for other airlines, so it's really not that cut-and-dried.

I think the way that you present yourself and your professional/social network mean much more than what your status says. For example, you can be Goldman Sachs and fly like a kettle or just green member, but the way that you present yourself even in middle seats in Y can stand out so much that people can recognize how much social status you have on the ground.
You mean social status isn't acquired by attaching all my top tier luggage tags on my (plastered with LV logo) carry on?
seawolf and Gino Troian like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Dave510
You mean social status isn't acquired by attaching all my top tier luggage tags on my (plastered with LV logo) carry on?
Only if one of the luggage tags is yellow and says FlyerTalk........

Just wandering
Fred
Dave510 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by ermen
1. I work for GS (oh i work for Wachovia)
2. I work for Google (oh i work for Altavista)
3. I am a fighter pilot (oh i fly transport)
4. I am a CX DM (oh I am a BAEC Gold)
I used to work for #1 and have been #4 for 8 of the last 12yrs....When I was at University I was in the Air Force hoping to be a #3 . All in the loser category
Enhancements likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Only if one of the luggage tags is yellow and says FlyerTalk........

Just wandering
Fred
Now that's real prestigious! :-:
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
I used to work for #1 and have been #4 for 8 of the last 12yrs....When I was at University I was in the Air Force hoping to be a #3 . All in the loser category
I must want to set up and alter to worship you

but im still working in #2
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by kaka
I must want to set up and alter to worship you

but im still working in #2
You did read the bit where it said all mine were in the loser category, right?

Good luck getting a job at Wachovia nowadays!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fraser
You did read the bit where it said all mine were in the loser category, right?

Good luck getting a job at Wachovia nowadays!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Personally, I believe CA's PhoenixMiles Platinum (*G) is more prestigious than any others, including CX DM.

FWIW - this card, by itself, is a proof of income in the Mainland China.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:04 pm

I read a book earlier this year called “China rich girlfriend”. This question (and belief) is like a chapter out of that book.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
If anything, CX DM has become increasingly tacky under the new system where it has become yet another purchasable object by bling bling loudmouth hypocrites who piss away the family inheritance to acquire it, in the same way they do to buy a British passport but simultaneously recite the propaganda of the Beijing bootlicker establishment.

Other forms of OWE are therefore more prestigious.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:49 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Reading these forums, it would appear that CX treats DM better than say BA treats BAEC gold (OWE). In fact, my own personal experience is that CX treats me better as a BAEC gold than BA does!
But I am quite happy to stick to BA, as I get OWE and associated perks by spending the least money (which ultimately, is better for me). Being UK based, I also get into more arrivals lounges at LHR as a BAEC gold than a CX DM if flying in a class below J, whereas at HKG, I still get the same arrivals lounge perks as a BAEC gold that I would get as a CX DM
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
To attain Emerald - program big differences

What irks me is the difference in ‘flying’ needed to attain Emerald across OW partners, as example ;

3 X LAX-HKG on AA with $5k tickets pretty much gets it.

On CX DM would need circa 7 trips at same spend (actually more as rare to see sub $5k tickets in J ex LAX or SFO, to get 180 club points and that’s not factoring in the medieval system of points lost when go up a tier (otter than if play the system).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by prw555
What irks me is the difference in ‘flying’ needed to attain Emerald across OW partners, as example ;

On CX DM would need circa 7 trips at same spend (actually more as rare to see sub $5k tickets in J ex LAX or SFO, to get 180 club points and that’s not factoring in the medieval system of points lost when go up a tier (otter than if play the system).
Yes indeed, maybe we can conclude then that those who chase CX DM are in it either for:
(i) social prestige - I'm a CX DM vs AA EXP has better cachet
(ii) better perceived / personally valued benefits remaining as CX DM (value is in the eye of the beholder of course)
(iii) too much money to burn / don't care - ie the difference is really a rounding error or not material for their finances (actually this is real prestige )
(iv) masochist / plain dumb

Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by prw555

if you are a OWE now you can match with RJ and get OWE more for the price of 1 RJ leg ie 200USD. (a 5th freedom from BKK should cost ard that)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.