Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is CX DM more prestigious than other OWE

Is CX DM more prestigious than other OWE

Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
You mean social status isn't acquired by attaching all my top tier luggage tags on my (plastered with LV logo) carry on?
Perhaps, but you can't tell if someone is getting a real LV bag or a counterfeited one. I stopped guessing when I saw people with those things onboard.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:11 pm

FFP conferring (or elevating) "social status"? That concept is so wrong on so many levels.

Even alluding to such an idea will probably get you laughed out of any non-FFP social group of any level.
TGflyergirl and SilverChris like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
There is no doubt to me that CX diamond is more prestigious than OWE.

Let me recount a story in HK Station, CX check-in.

My 70 years old parents, and my 3 year old niece are all BA gold. My niece parents are oneworld sapphire flying in J class to CTS.

Normal dressing people (HKese) going for vacation. At F check-in, the agent told them that they are supposed to use J check-in because they claim only my 3-year old niece as OWE, and the 3-year old cant bring so many people to use F check-in!) If the 3-year old were CX diamond (which is impossible as CX does not allow kids to earn status), I think they wouldnt have say the same thing.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456

My 70 years old parents, and my 3 year old niece are all BA gold. My niece parents are oneworld sapphire flying in J class to CTS.

Normal dressing people (HKese) going for vacation. At F check-in, the agent told them that they are supposed to use J check-in because they claim only my 3-year old niece as OWE, and the 3-year old cant bring so many people to use F check-in!) If the 3-year old were CX diamond (which is impossible as CX does not allow kids to earn status), I think they wouldnt have say the same thing.
If this happened to me I honestly wouldn''t know if I would be shocked or hysterically laughing. That's just bordering on stupid and crazy on the agent's part.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP

This has nothing to do with prestige. In the hypothetical situation wherein your niece is CX Diamond, the agent would merely be going the extra step to massage the rules and accommodate a loyal passenger.

It's not because s/he finds CX DM "prestigious." CX DM in this case is merely "useful" or "has its advantages."

Prestige has to do with how much a set of people find a particular thing valuable, or worthy of admiration. Outside of a small subset of the community of frequent flyers, airline status confers ABSOLUTELY NO prestige or social capital.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

i think the agent simply didnt want to work. Especially if i were under the same pnr as my family (like in the 3yo case), i would tell the agent to find a manager
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by stargold
FFP conferring (or elevating) "social status"? That concept is so wrong on so many levels.
Unfortunately, the sad reality is while it is wrong, it exists.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:17 pm

Prestige for frequent flyer status? Or your CX Diamond/OWE luggage tags? Please.....

All that means is that you do a lot of mandatory travel for work, like a schmuck.

I'll stick to my Aman luggage tags
seawolf, DMPHL and SilverChris like this.

Last edited by nmuva98; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:52 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Unfortunately, the sad reality is while it is wrong, it exists.
Lets see if my lan owe gets me any elevated status over jgc and ic amb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.