Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Questions for the experts on CX/UA RTW's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2001, 4:32 am
Original Poster

We've finally decided on a relatively simple RTW vacation next summer. We focused on Star, but I realized that CX/UA would be a lot cheaper with few downsides.

YVR SFO UA
SFO OGG UA
OGG HNL HA (separate ticket)
HNL NRT UA
NRT HKG CX
HKG FCO CX
CDG SFO UA
SFO SEA UA

I have a few questions for you experts.

Please note that I have no status with either CX or UA or UA SWU's.

I have two overall requirements. The three of us always fly together, and no wait lists.

It seems that because there are so few FC seats on these planes that three A class seats will be practically impossible to grab. Do you agree?

What are the chances of grabbing three D class seats?

Upgrades:

Star RTW has a screwy rule. On paid business class RTW's, you're downgraded to coach on Mainland to Hawaii. Does this rule apply on CX/UA?

UA has a general rule, no upgrades, using miles, from D to A. Does this rule apply on CX/UA?

Is there any way to upgrade from paid business RTW by using UA miles on a CX flight?

I'd like to embark ex Canada for the savings. Can I use UA reservations and pay them in Canadian dollars? How does that work?

Or must I find a Canadian travel agent?

What is the commission structure on RTW tickets in Canada? Does the agent make enough to provide service?

Does anyone know of an agent in Canada, preferably in Vancouver who knows what he's doing?

Thanks in advance for your help. I know that your advice will be very helpful when I do battle with the airlines.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by VicOsaki:

YVR SFO UA
SFO OGG UA
OGG HNL HA (separate ticket)
HNL NRT UA
NRT HKG CX
HKG FCO CX
CDG SFO UA
SFO SEA UA

It seems that because there are so few FC seats on these planes that three A class seats will be practically impossible to grab. Do you agree?

What are the chances of grabbing three D class seats?
</font>
Hi there ! Okay first things first - the CX/UA RTW stipulates in their rules that : HONOLULU IS NOT PERMITTED AS A TRANSIT PT FOR TRVL BTWN ASIA N THE SOUTH WEST PACIFIC. So that ends your routing travelling via Hawaii! Booking in "A" First Class even for 3 seats together is relative okay - just as long as it's not during peak travel periods like Christmas or Chinese New Year. Of course "D" Business Class is more readily available due to the fact that the Business Class seats are always more than in First!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Upgrades:

Star RTW has a screwy rule. On paid business class RTW's, you're downgraded to coach on Mainland to Hawaii. Does this rule apply on CX/UA?

Is there any way to upgrade from paid business RTW by using UA miles on a CX flight?

I'd like to embark ex Canada for the savings. Can I use UA reservations and pay them in Canadian dollars? How does that work?
</font>
1. I believe that you cannot upgrade from D to First Class. But I'm not familiar with UA's rules. Can someone else please confirm?

2. On the CX/UA RTW Business Class ,however, domestic US flights are booked in First Class and not economy. However it does not pertain to Hawaii - which you can't go anyway!

3. No - you cannot upgrade using UA miles on CX - they are not partners. Do you have AA miles?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Must I find a Canadian travel agent?</font>
You must book through a Canadian travel agent in order to get the lower Canadian $ rate. First Class ex-YVR CAD$6110, Business Class ex-YVR CAD$4709 as opposed to USD$6242 and USD$4304 ex-USA.

Canadian travel agents are not incompetent (after all I'm Canadian too )
and by dealing with a major travel agency like American Express, they might be able to assist you. However as most airlines have restricted commissions to agencies, please be prepared to pay some sort of service fee which is set by each agency.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old Oct 17, 2001, 8:12 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
Hi there ! Okay first things first - the CX/UA RTW stipulates in their rules that : HONOLULU IS NOT PERMITTED AS A TRANSIT PT FOR TRVL BTWN ASIA N THE SOUTH WEST PACIFIC. So that ends your routing travelling via Hawaii! </font>
You can actually travel through hawaii... but you cannot transit through it... So basically that just means you have to be staying in Hawaii for a few days... I've travelled through Hawaii on a CX/UA RTW ticket, and had no problem with it...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Booking in "A" First Class even for 3 seats together is relative okay - just as long as it's not during peak travel periods like Christmas or Chinese New Year. Of course "D" Business Class is more readily available due to the fact that the Business Class seats are always more than in First!</font>
Yes, it's harder to get 3 A fares, but it's not impossible. Plus you can always waitlist for first class, and they would most usually clear up on day of departure unless it's a really busy day for them...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">1. I believe that you cannot upgrade from D to First Class. But I'm not familiar with UA's rules. Can someone else please confirm?</font>
It's possible to upgrade with SWU, but I'm not sure if it's possible with miles.... But I think people have successfully done that as well.... anyone can give any insight to this?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Star RTW has a screwy rule. On paid business class RTW's, you're downgraded to coach on Mainland to Hawaii. Does this rule apply on CX/UA?</font>
As far as I know, Hawaii flights also have D and A booking classes.. But even if you are booked in D, you still get a F class seat. Unfortunately, you would only get 25% class bonus on miles earn. That last time I went, I was with a friend, who got waitlisted in D class, while I had a confirmed A. Even though we were sitting next to each other, when our mileage statements came, he only got 25% bonus while I got 50%. So anyways, don't worry, you still get F class seat on the Hawaii-US routes with a D ticket.

[This message has been edited by tfung (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old Oct 17, 2001, 8:26 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
quote:
Hi there ! Okay first things first - the CX/UA RTW stipulates in their rules that : HONOLULU IS NOT PERMITTED AS A TRANSIT PT FOR TRVL BTWN ASIA N THE SOUTH WEST PACIFIC. So that ends your routing travelling via Hawaii!

I think the rules are saying Asia-HNL-Australia is verboten, but that US-Hawaii-Asia would be fine.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you want a Canadian TA, try mine. Carol @ Continental travel Tel.: (604)736-2601. JohnAx will vouch for her competency.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mistake for the misinterpretation about Hawaii. However, I thought it was rather vague since UA doesnt fly between SW Pacific and Hawaii anyway...

Now with the Business Class ticket, then it will be First Class on UA to HNL then.

Old Oct 17, 2001, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information and advise. It's very helpful.

Well Mr. Betsy, I know you'll have a good time in Hawaii. Don't worry about HA, it's ok. You must give us a trip report on your adventures in the new 763.

Mr. tfung, I've enjoyed your trip reports. Wow you fly a lot. Business or just like to fly?

Guy, I'm sure Canadian agents are quite competent. My question was do they get enough out of the ticket to spend some time on it? You answered my question.

I meant to ask: "Is there any way to upgrade from paid business RTW using AA miles on a CX flight?" It's not very important anyway, I'm tapped out. I used Diners promo to move a lot of miles to BA including some AA miles to get three FC tickets to Europe. Now I guess I'll just cancel that -- but I can't move some back to AA from BA -- can I?

The only other thing I don't understand is my Hawaii problem. What I want to do is fly from the Mainland to Maui, spend some time there, then fly to Japan from Honolulu. Are you guys saying that I can't do it, or that I must spend time in HNL or what?
Since I have no status with these airlines, wouldn't my chances on a wait list behind the elites be problematical at best? Besides, my wife and daughter mandate that we all fly together, but they have no problem flying in the front while I languish in the back.
hauteboy, I hope you're right.
Thank you terenz for your recommendation.

Old Oct 17, 2001, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by VicOsaki:
I meant to ask: "Is there any way to upgrade from paid business RTW using AA miles on a CX flight?" It's not very important anyway, I'm tapped out.</font>
Don't think that AAdvantage miles allow you to upgrade any CX flight, let alone on a RTW ticket...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The only other thing I don't understand is my Hawaii problem. What I want to do is fly from the Mainland to Maui, spend some time there, then fly to Japan from Honolulu. Are you guys saying that I can't do it, or that I must spend time in HNL or what?
Since I have no status with these airlines, wouldn't my chances on a wait list behind the elites be problematical at best? Besides, my wife and daughter mandate that we all fly together, but they have no problem flying in the front while I languish in the back.
</font>
I don't think you should worry about getting A for all three of you.. It shouldn't be a problem with the airlines right now... You should check with a travel agent, and they should advise you which flights and when there is enough availability. Also, with regard to the Maui, HNL part of your question, I don't think that would be a problem.. Your ticket can have a US-Maui segment, and then a HNL-NRT segment.. but you would have to buy your own inter-island ticket...
Old Oct 17, 2001, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tfung:
Don't think that AAdvantage miles allow you to upgrade any CX flight, let alone on a RTW ticket...</font>
From the AAdvantage member's guide on using miles on Cathay Pacific....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Upgrade Awards between North America Zone and Hong Kong, Asia,
Japan, Africa, Pacific or Middle East
Award Code
Upgrade on a full-fare Economy class (Y,Y2,YX2)
to Business Class 25B
Business Class to First Class 40X

Upgrade Award Codes contain the number of miles needed to claim the award (in
thousands; for example, 25 for 25,000 miles) and a letter code for internal use only. Example: 25B </font>
No mention whether upgrading from D fare is disallowed.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 6:52 pm

ahh... my mistake.. sorry.. =P but I would again try to call AAdvantage to verify this...
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrading from D fare to First is allowed. But oneway or return, it's still 40K miles.

I think VicOsaki's original question was whether she could upgrade CX flights from UA's FF program! Uh, no.
Old Oct 18, 2001, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, all of you have been very helpful.

I called UA. I was told that I could make arrangemnts with UA and be ticketed by their CTO in Vancouver -- yeah and how long will they stay open? Vancouver would FedEx the tickets to me. Is there any problem with that?

Of course, nothing is perfect. UA claims they'll run out of cash just about the time I'm in their care. Another sign of the times.
Old Oct 18, 2001, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

or you could try doing the same thing with CX - call their US number ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.