Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Lounge Access at HKG

My husband and I are travelling Premium Economy on CP from BOS to HKG to Hanoi and then back Siem Reap to HKG to BOS. He has Platinum status on AA, Admirals Club membership and can access Centurion Clubs due to Amex card.

Can someone tell me what options the two of us would have for lounge access at HKG. We have a four hour layover on the return trip so having a place to relax would be great.

Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by luvstx
My husband and I are travelling Premium Economy on CP from BOS to HKG to Hanoi and then back Siem Reap to HKG to BOS. He has Platinum status on AA, Admirals Club membership and can access Centurion Clubs due to Amex card.

Can someone tell me what options the two of us would have for lounge access at HKG. We have a four hour layover on the return trip so having a place to relax would be great.

Thanks.
as a OWS member the two of you have access to CX's J class lounges. However, since you have a Centurion membership, I would say to go check out that lounge first as it's the newest.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Thanks.
You'll have access to CX's J lounges, which are odds on the best J lounges in the world... particularly Pier J, which is superior to many airlines' F lounges overall.

I haven't been to the HKG Centurion lounge yet, but are you a Centurion card holder or something else? I know a lot of other Amex cards seem to get into "Centurion" lounges (the name of which always confused me, I originally thought you had to be a Centurion member?). At HKG, my Amex rep told me they're designating an a la carte section and closing off part of the lounge only for true Centurion cardholders, aka the other members who seem to get access to Centurion lounges but aren't actually Centurion cardholders are going to be walled off at HKG. I am no expert but the few Centurion lounges I visited in the US sucked because they were so packed and nobody actually seems to be a Centurion member! If you hold the Centurion card then maybe go to the Centurion lounge since it's supposed to have a private area, with the caveat I haven't visited yet so maybe the a la carte dining isn't anything to write home about!

Pier J is doesn't have a la carte dining, but it has immense food and drink options across a lot of different interesting themed rooms and is huge and nice. Hard to beat and you should check it out.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by QRC3288
You'll have access to CX's J lounges, which are odds on the best J lounges in the world... particularly Pier J, which is superior to many airlines' F lounges overall.

I haven't been to the HKG Centurion lounge yet, but are you a Centurion card holder or something else? I know a lot of other Amex cards seem to get into "Centurion" lounges (the name of which always confused me, I originally thought you had to be a Centurion member?). At HKG, my Amex rep told me they're designating an a la carte section and closing off part of the lounge only for true Centurion cardholders, aka the other members who seem to get access to Centurion lounges but aren't actually Centurion cardholders are going to be walled off at HKG. I am no expert but the few Centurion lounges I visited in the US sucked because they were so packed and nobody actually seems to be a Centurion member! If you hold the Centurion card then maybe go to the Centurion lounge since it's supposed to have a private area, with the caveat I haven't visited yet so maybe the a la carte dining isn't anything to write home about!

Pier J is doesn't have a la carte dining, but it has immense food and drink options across a lot of different interesting themed rooms and is huge and nice. Hard to beat and you should check it out.
The U.S. AMEX Platinum card offers access to Centurion lounges. See link below (may need to change your region settings on AMEX website)

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...m-CardArt-Pos3

The HK version of the same card seems to only offer access to the HKG club:

https://www.americanexpress.com/hk/e...platinum-card/

Personally not a fan of AMEX lounges as their domestic (U.S.) lounges are always crowded. But I agree it's worth checking out the HKG one as it just opened.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
The U.S. AMEX Platinum card offers access to Centurion lounges. See link below (may need to change your region settings on AMEX website)

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...m-CardArt-Pos3

The HK version of the same card seems to only offer access to the HKG club:

https://www.americanexpress.com/hk/e...platinum-card/

Personally not a fan of AMEX lounges as their domestic (U.S.) lounges are always crowded. But I agree it's worth checking out the HKG one as it just opened.
Now it makes perfect sense. My first time visiting a "Centurion" (note: false advertising alert!) lounge was in the US, it was jam packed, and I was like holy hell I didn't realize this many people held Centurion cards. Eventually I figured out something was going on, pretty sure I saw people paying for entry though too. Essentially useless lounges in the few times I've checked them out because they're crammed with people. I don't see the appeal of that .

The fellow who called me from Amex said they're trying to avoid this at Hong Kong, which is specifically why they have an entirely separate area and a la carte dining section for true Centurion members only. I hope this is actually true and not just marketing fluff. I haven't been yet. Otherwise I'd really be in favor of them being called "American Express Lounges" because that's really what they seem to be.

I'd just say go to Pier J until someone sorts it out for the rest of us and writes about it.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:31 am

Now it makes perfect sense. My first time visiting a "Centurion" (note: false advertising alert!) lounge was in the US, it was jam packed, and I was like holy hell I didn't realize this many people held Centurion cards. Eventually I figured out something was going on, pretty sure I saw people paying for entry though too. Essentially useless lounges in the few times I've checked them out because they're crammed with people. I don't see the appeal of that .

The fellow who called me from Amex said they're trying to avoid this at Hong Kong, which is specifically why they have an entirely separate area and a la carte dining section for true Centurion members only. I hope this is actually true and not just marketing fluff. I haven't been yet. Otherwise I'd really be in favor of them being called "American Express Lounges" because that's really what they seem to be.

I'd just say go to Pier J until someone sorts it out for the rest of us and writes about it.
Yup it's misleading. However, AMEX has been caught up by domestic credit card market competitors like Chase and Citi, so this is one of the few surviving distinguishers. Unfortunately it always appears nicer on paper than in reality where we see all these packed lounges.

Other than this, there is really zero benefit on this card that stands out of competitions (higher AF, worse rental/travel insurance, worse travel reimbursement etc). AMEX, at least in the U.S., who has been consistently losing partners (Costco, Jetblue), is struggling at the moment.

On the other hand, as AA is building up is Flagship lounges (accessible to MPC GO or above, regardless of cabin) in major airports, they will overtake AMEX lounges in the near future.

Still, Pier J/F in HKG, no doubt about it.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by dek526
as a OWS member the two of you have access to CX's J class lounges. However, since you have a Centurion membership, I would say to go check out that lounge first as it's the newest.
I agree.

HKG is the first airport outside US that has Centurion lounge. In US, Centurion lounge can be used for departure or arrival. I went to the SFO lounge for arrival once while waiting for my ride. It can be crowded.

I believe the Centurion lounge is very close to the Pier. I suggest visiting the Centurion lounge and then the Pier.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I agree.

HKG is the first airport outside US that has Centurion lounge. In US, Centurion lounge can be used for departure or arrival. I went to the SFO lounge for arrival once while waiting for my ride. It can be crowded.

I believe the Centurion lounge is very close to the Pier. I suggest visiting the Centurion lounge and then the Pier.
Here's a first look from a marketing website:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/fir...on-lounge-hkg/

Can't judge on the food; but I am not sure if it has more seats than Pier J.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Thanks.
In addition to all CX lounges, you'd also have access to the Qantas lounge located by Gate 15. There's no champagne, but there's a reasonable food selection (I find it 'fresher' than the CX offerings with a range of salads). Also a good bar, and the lounge is rarely busy. If you're down that end of the terminal it's not a bad place to visit.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:38 pm Reason: gate 15, not 11!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The Pier J lounge (near gates 62-63, iirc) is the only stop you should make. Don't waste your time at the AMEX lounge. Pier is easily 2-3x larger and just flat out better in every way. AMEX is less exclusive, smaller and with fewer amenities.

If you're looking for the lounge with the best view, I'd say The Bridge probably has the best views, though The Pier also has pretty decent views. The Wing has the worst views (of the CX lounges, anyway).
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Just go to all of them. It does not take that much time. But some walking will be needed.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:12 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
1) both US and HK AMEX lounge now require Platinum or Centurion to enter, and had done away with paid entries for the lower cards (only available for additional guests for plat/cent members).
2) at least in SFO, the food in the AMEX lounge is better than the food i had in other FS that I had been to.

I havent been to the new HKG Amex lounge to report. but I do not like the atmosphere of the pier J except for lounging at the end of the lounge. Food is decent but isnt half inviting by the layout.

and the tea is cr@p.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
In addition to all CX lounges, you'd also have access to the Qantas lounge located by Gate 11. There's no champagne, but there's a reasonable food selection (I find it 'fresher' than the CX offerings with a range of salads). Also a good bar, and the lounge is rarely busy. If you're down that end of the terminal it's not a bad place to visit.
I do like the Qantas lounge to change up the food offerings, but I thought you had to be OWE to have access. Just checked the OW site and shows both OWS and OWE can access. Has it always been this way or changed sometime recently? Also this is by gate 15, don't think there's a gate 11.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nightkhan
I do like the Qantas lounge to change up the food offerings, but I thought you had to be OWE to have access. Just checked the OW site and shows both OWS and OWE can access. Has it always been this way or changed sometime recently? Also this is by gate 15, don't think there's a gate 11.
You're quire right! Gate 15 not 11 (I've edited my post accordingly). Momentary lapse in airport layout!

The refurbished HKG lounge is a Qantas Club - access has always been from the outset to to Qantas Club, OWS and OWE. The previous incarnation was F only upstairs, with the J lounge in the basement.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:52 pm

In HKG now, the AMEX lounge is on par with my expectation just like the U.S. lounges. Still prefer Pier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.