Search

All CP lost at upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
All CP lost at upgrade?

Hi All,

Just wanted to check with you on something...

I felt a little cheated today when I checked my Cathay Pacific profile. I was 5CP short of becoming GO and took a flight NRT-ORD worth 75 CP.

I am now GO but my progress to DM is 0 CP.

Shouldn't it be 70 CP? (75 CP earned on the flight - 5 CP needed previously)

Am I wrong?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Indeed you are wrong.

This is how it works.

Stupid, but that's the way they have always done it...and whinged about here for as long as I can remember too. So some people in your shoes strategize by not putting their # on boarding passes like yours, where you have a flight that will put you over by a unncessarily large margin.

You have no recourse, it's done, BUT....if you are just shy of DM this year (particularly 70 CP or less), there are reports on here MPC will be sympathetic if you call them and explain. But this will need to be done in a year and only if you barely miss DM.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by QRC3288
You have no recourse, it's done, BUT....if you are just shy of DM this year (particularly 70 CP or less), there are reports on here MPC will be sympathetic if you call them and explain. But this will need to be done in a year and only if you barely miss DM.
That was the response I received from MPC when I wrote in earlier about the same grievance. They refused to credit the excess 40 CPs from the flight segments AFTER my qualifying flight even though those segments were from a later travel date. MPC justified this on the grounds that the CPs were accrued on a partner airline and acknowledged by CX on the same date.

MPC said I should write in if I am 40 CPs short of requalification next year.

So yes. All CPs lost upon upgrade.

In consolation, you get to enjoy almost a whole month of GO till 31 Oct 2018 if your status was resetted on 10 October.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:47 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Alawyer
In consolation, you get to enjoy almost a whole month of GO till 31 Oct 2018 if your status was resetted on 10 October.
And another shortfall of the CX program - when you upgrade to a new status, you get at most 13 months of the new status. Programs like BA and QF award you the remainder of your current membership year PLUS the next membership year as well. So could be up to 24 months of the new status (although that would be an extreme example).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by sxc
And another shortfall of the CX program - when you upgrade to a new status, you get at most 13 months of the new status. Programs like BA and QF award you the remainder of your current membership year PLUS the next membership year as well. So could be up to 24 months of the new status (although that would be an extreme example).
Agree - not sure why CX designed it like that. AA's program could be up to 25 months (extreme example as well).

With that I am REALLY hoping CX could change its FFP so I could credit to MPC rather than useless AA miles, even with a downgrade from OWE to OWS. Don't see that coming anytime soon though.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Commiserations to the OP for having to learn this the hard way.

Indeed- the programme is what it is..there are other oddities that some on here use to their benefit- like it being the flight posting date (rather than the flight date), that counts when it comes to (re)qualification etc.

Keep track- and in 3/3 cases that I know of, where the member 'lost' miles, the MPC made good by way of tier upgrade/requalification at fewer miles than required. In one case, in a subsequent year.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Wow - thanks for the confirmation. I really feel this is a double whammy.

It makes me think does CX really even want us as loyal frequent fliers or not. This rule is just plain unfair.

Thanks again for the help
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Many things about MPC are just baffling...

I will hit DM between two flights over a connection at HKG. The first flight is o/n so departs the day earlier. I don't think it can credit in time by the time I arrive at HKG the next morning. I really hope to have DM on the next flight as it is a special occasion of some sort. Even tho I will be in F (most likely), I am too insecure to fly statusless...
Honestly considering CP-running to avoid this...
fairhsa likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by G-CIVC

I will hit DM between two flights over a connection at HKG. The first flight is o/n so departs the day earlier. I don't think it can credit in time by the time I arrive at HKG the next morning. I really hope to have DM on the next flight as it is a special occasion of some sort. Even tho I will be in F (most likely), I am too insecure to fly statusless...
I'm not sure I know of any program that can credit and upgrade your status immediately as you board a flight.

You are also likely to lose the CP on your second flight as you will only be upgraded a few days after both flights credit to MPC.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC

Do a points run prior to your long flight
fairhsa likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Isn't this the policy ever since? Under the old program Green once reaching the miles/sectors for Silver gets reset to zero, same goes for Silver turning to Gold and Gold to DM.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm not sure I know of any program that can credit and upgrade your status immediately as you board a flight.
Forget which one- read on one of the forums here- QR or CA I think...the pax see their points by the time they land.

Not that it would help G-CIVC, as they've always taken a day or two to reflect the new status.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Forget which one- read on one of the forums here- QR or CA I think...the pax see their points by the time they land.

Not that it would help G-CIVC, as they've always taken a day or two to reflect the new status.
Yes - I know some programs can credit quickly (eg BA), but I don't know of any where the status will upgrade immediately at the same time. It probably does exist, but I'm sure they're in the minority.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Unfortunately that's the way how MPC operates for decades. But if you are based in HK or certain part in Asia, MPC could give better access to CX's redemption inventory versus its partners and better chance of ops-up. This is especially the case when many are switching to other programs.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
"Lost CP"

I calculated in my run up to Diamond, accruing at 180 points for RT - SFO-HKG, I "lost" 240 CP to get to 1200. Kinda sucks, that "extra" CP at a given level don't roll over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.