Community
Wiki Posts
Search

21 days for baggage damage claim?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

21 days for baggage damage claim?

Hi FT CX experts, I would like to ask if this is really the case of baggage damage claim. Got the bag delivered in HKG addresses but my colleagues figured the storage drives were not fully functional afterwards. I was told to file the baggage claim if I saw something wrong, but I wasn't told how long we would have before filing the damage claim. Baggage claim responded it had to be within 21 days. Is that true? Can't see that in the website at all.

Any tips will be deeply appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Any tips will be deeply appreciated.
Assume what you have been told is true. Airlines are strict on baggage claim. I am surprised that CX gives 21 days, which can be considered lenient.

The questions remaining are:

1. Why did the baggage need to be delivered?

2. Does the original BIR filed have the same effect as reporting damages?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by garykung
Assume what you have been told is true. Airlines are strict on baggage claim. I am surprised that CX gives 21 days, which can be considered lenient.

My #1 question is does OP's "storage drive" meant harddrives. And if so, why would he be putting such thing in a checked luggage AND expect [any] airline to give any sort of compensation a month+ later arrive its arrival.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung

Answer 1. Delayed baggage for 14 hours. Luggage was on hold at JFK, didn't really follow me to HKG.

Answer 2. Not to sure about that, would have to double check with CX.

Originally Posted by nolounge
My #1 question is does OP's "storage drive" meant harddrives. And if so, why would he be putting such thing in a checked luggage AND expect [any] airline to give any sort of compensation a month+ later arrive its arrival.
Answer: Actually three of them are server-graded/Enterprised drives. My original carry-on was already so full that I couldn't put in. After landing in HKG, I actually had to fly to quite a few different places before I got back and notified by the team some didn't work, so I couldn't just go back to the airport (Four continents, 80k BIS last four weeks).

I think I got it - Perhaps it's the Montreal Convention. CX actually did offer assistance on insurance claims. Would check if that qualifies for CC travel insurance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/con...-need-know-do/

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Sep 26, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I think I got it - Perhaps it's the Montreal Convention.
The 21-day time frame is what the Montreal Convention defines loss as most airlines will classify as a delayed baggage at first. Once the 21-day time frame is up, it is automatically considered as a lost baggage.

It is simply a coincident that CX has a 21-day limit for reporting claims.

CX actually did offer assistance on insurance claims. Would check if that qualifies for CC travel insurance.
This is the minimum any airlines can do.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
17.1.2(a) If the Damage is physical in nature, within seven (7) days of receipt of the Checked Baggage.

17.1.2(b) If the Damage consists of complete loss of the Checked Baggage, within twenty-one (21) days from the date on which the Baggage ought to have been delivered to you.

17.1.2(c)If the Damage consists of delay to the checked Baggage, within twenty-one (21) days from the date of the Baggage was place at your disposal.

17.1.3 If you do not notify us in writing within the timescales in Articles 17.1.2(a) to 17.1.2(c)above, and the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention applies to your claim, no action shall lie against us save in the case of fraud on our part.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/conten...baggage-en.pdf

Not sure if damage to hard disks qualifies as physical damage or complete loss, but CX in giving 21 days is already the generous interpretation of their rules. Good luck on the insurance!

Last edited by fishball; Sep 26, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Answer: Actually three of them are server-graded/Enterprised drives. My original carry-on was already so full that I couldn't put in. After landing in HKG, I actually had to fly to quite a few different places before I got back and notified by the team some didn't work, so I couldn't just go back to the airport (Four continents, 80k BIS last four weeks).
HDDs are fragile items. I am uncertain if CX will take responsibility for such items in checked luggage.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
HDDs are fragile items. I am uncertain if CX will take responsibility for such items in checked luggage.
In fact, many airlines exclude electronics from their liabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.