Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flight CX 888 HKG-JFk, with layover in YVR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Alaska MVP, Flying Blue Silver

Hello, newbie here,
I just booked an award flight on Cathay using MP miles. I initially booked it on the phone through AS from HND-HKG-JFK, but when I looked online I saw that there's an hour and a half layover in YVR, that I was not told about.
I called back AS and asked them about it and they were unaware of the layover, which adds 3 hours to the flight they told me to call CX, but CX told me to call my travel agent for any inquiries.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
just book another flight without the yvr layover, there are 3 other daily flights...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:58 pm

I used to take CX 888 on purpose, despite the fact that - as you pointed out - it adds some hours to the flight.

The reason is it is best for adjusting to jetlag; it departs at midnight HK Time and arrives 7:00am ET.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
AS is your agent, of course you talk to AS not CX.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You ask if people have had a similar experience.... @shkotz but what is your question?

Have people flown on this flight and is there a stopover? Yes the flight has a stopover.

Have people not been told about the stopover when booking through Alaska? Ask in the Alaska forum, but many people check the details of their flights separately before booking.

Have people called CX to try and have the stopover removed on CX888? No - this isn't possible.

If you don't want to fly on this flight, your only remediation is to cancel and book a different flight. And you'll have to do that with Alaska.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Alaska MVP, Flying Blue Silver
I just noticed that there is already a thread about CX888. I found out the information I was looking for there. Sorry for the duplicate thread.
@sxc I was on the phone with a manager from CX for a while, and they wouldn't remove the stopover just for me. Maybe if we get a few of us to call...
sxc likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
CX won't touch this booking because it wasn't done by them unless your ticket is on CX stock and your already flew your first sector. In your case, you should discuss with AS to put you on another flight (other than CX888, which has a stop that nobody can remove).
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shkotz
I just noticed that there is already a thread about CX888. I found out the information I was looking for there. Sorry for the duplicate thread.
@sxc I was on the phone with a manager from CX for a while, and they wouldn't remove the stopover just for me. Maybe if we get a few of us to call...
This is not a joke, right? You really think CX would change a flight schedule for you?

Or you mean you ask CX to put you on a direct flight?

I dont understand what you mean by "remove the stopover".

CX888 ALWAYS has a layover at YVR. You should have checked the flight details before booking this particular flight. There are 4 flights to JFK and 1 of the 4 is this one that has a layover at YVR.

If you want a direct flight you would have to talk to AS who issued your ticket.
nolounge likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
This is not a joke, right? You really think CX would change a flight schedule for you?

Or you mean you ask CX to put you on a direct flight?

I dont understand what you mean by "remove the stopover".

CX888 ALWAYS has a layover at YVR. You should have checked the flight details before booking this particular flight. There are 4 flights to JFK and 1 of the 4 is this one that has a layover at YVR.

If you want a direct flight you would have to talk to AS who issued your ticket.
Actually all 4 JFK flights are "direct" flights, only 3 are "non-stop". Maybe the OP got confused by the terminology and thought a direct flight wouldn't have a stopover.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kar don
Actually all 4 JFK flights are "direct" flights, only 3 are "non-stop". Maybe the OP got confused by the terminology and thought a direct flight wouldn't have a stopover.
You are absolutely right. Apology on using the wrong terminology.

In any case if the poster wants a Nonstop he needs to talk to AS to change his ticket. CX would not do it due to this is not their ticket.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:44 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by shkotz
Originally Posted by Happy
I'm pretty certain this was a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.